Why are you building your own and how are you paying for it?

Started by Jared Drake, January 29, 2008, 12:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabinfever

It's all been touched on above. I'm lucky to have a good job and a generous salary, but I'd still like to know that if it all went to hell in a hand-basket one day, we wouldn't be homeless. It took this last downturn to make me reconsider keeping all of my retirement in stocks and bonds, and so I'm tapping my 401k to buy the land and build a house.

Makes no sense, I'll admit - to incur the penalties and cash out at the bottom of the market - but it's something I've wanted to do for 10 years and been afraid to. I'm 41 now and beginning to realize that 'someday' may never come, so I'm throwing caution and good sense to the wind.

That and the fact that building something with your hands beats the hell out of documenting computer systems any day of the week.

glenn kangiser

It actually does make sense as it may not be there at all if you wait.  Bad deal and hard to call but at least you will have something positive rather than sitting back and watching as it slowly gets stolen.

Sassy's is locked up and she pretty well has to quit to get it - otherwise it would already be out rather than dying a slow death.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MikeOnBike

Hello from Idaho. 

The What:

Over the last two years we have acquired and paid for 80 acres of high desert mountain property (~6000ft).  It is original deeded ground surrounded by BLM.  Last fall we surveyed it and this spring we will fence it to keep the BLM grazing cows out of it.  The land is very rocky, mostly sage and grass with some juniper and mahogany.  It is not very accessible in the winter but should provide a great place during 9mo. of the year.

After fencing this spring we plan to build a cabin shell, something like a 20x32 1-1/2 story.  Budget is about $15,000 for post/pier foundation, 2x6 framing, metal roof, fibercement siding, window/shutters, paint, etc.  We are operating strictly on cash. We will finish the interior and utilities next year.

There is a small creek/canyon running through the property with year round water.  There are NO services so we will have compost toilet, solar/wind power, wood heat.

The Why:

This is a family project with my mother and brother.  All the years I was growing up we spent a lot our free time in the mountains living in cow camps, lean-tos, etc.  We all really miss it and want to share it with the younger generations who unfortunately are mostly city raised.  We want a place for the extended family to gather and spend time.  My mother who is retiring at 70 plans to live there about half time.  We will do all the work ourselves because we can and we enjoy it.  It is also too remote to really hire anyone to do any of the work.

Over time we will probably build two other small structures, one for my brother and one for my wife and I so we can get away from the hoard of kids and grandkids at the main cabin.

We plan to plant a garden and fruit trees along the creek.  All of us hope to find a way to at least summer on the mountain. I will need to find a telecommute job for my IT profession to make that work.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.