Concrete Floors

Started by zeeya, October 23, 2006, 12:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeeya

When I purchased my property it came with a 16'x 20' shop..What I would like to do is to convert the shop into a small living space.This will be a major project for me since I am in my mid 50's but this will give me an opportunity to achieve another living area since the trailer I live in is not sound enough to put more money into it.This shop has a concrete floor..what do I do next..do I frame in the floor space and add plywood and then the vinyl flooring..or do I just put the vinyl flooring on the concrete?I live in Washington and I would like to get some suggestions as what to do with the floor.Thank you for your suggestions.

glenn-k

Slab on grade with vinyl flooring is quite common in California.  If it is dry it probably wouldn't have any problem there although it may be a bit colder in your area.  Since this is not standard construction I guess you kind of get to make your own rules.  What is the ceiling height?   What type of construction is the shop?  Is the concrete level?  Just trying to get a picture of what you are dealing with. :)

zeeya

I live near Seattle and we do get lots of rain...Im guessing the height of the building is maybe 16' and it is a framed building with 2x4's and 4x4's...the concrete looks like they did it themselves so I dought that it is level..but it looks like they tried to do a good job.I hope this is more helpful to you.Thanks for your expertize.

glenn-k

I have built offices in similar buildings and many times people put a living space of sorts in a shop.  You would probably want to put a ceiling at 8' for heating purposes or even make a second story if you have that much height.

zeeya

There is already a loft but I being only 5' am not able to stand completely upright..I was considering having the roof raised alittle higher to give more head room and more available space.The loft area is only in one corner of the building.

glenn-k

Roofs don't normally raise easily.  Any possibility of lowering the loft - is there room below it to still have enough headroom?  I assume code is not an issue - I have heard 7' is a minimum - some places possibly more -Seems like John mentioned 7'6".