Newbies to build 14x24 near Lake Oneida, NY

Started by 2guysWmass, August 01, 2006, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2guysWmass

Hey guys; newbies here, only been actively thinking of building for the past few weeks, though it's always been a dream.  We should be closing on about 6 acres near Lake Oneida - just north of Syracuse, NY, and want to build John's 14x18 Little House as a weekend getaway cabin.  I haven't done any major construction since I was a teenager working with my Dad.  So it's a little scary.  But I'm keeping confidence!

There are so many things to consider.  But I was toying with the idea of buidling slightly taller walls, with recessed ledgers for the loft.  It would be great to get another foot or two headroom, plus I think the extra ceiling height will help open up the cabin.  But then I guess the sleeping loft and storage loft will be at one level, and the collar ties higher.  Do you think that will look strange?

I really enjoy reading what you all have to say, and admire your self-sufficient attitudes.  I'll keep you posted how things go.  Here's a shot of the general area we are thinking to build (little more clearing yet to take place!)

Shawn

n74tg

Nice looking site.  Which way will it face; toward the camera?

Good luck

glenn-k

Cool site, Shawn.  Welcome to the forum.

My great great uncle was run over by a bus in Syracuse, NY back in the old days.  Probably day dreaming about building a cabin or something. :-/

2guysWmass

Thanks guys!  This current clearing is actually the left side of a small circular drive that was cut in.  I was standing in the drive, facing into the property away from the street.  I was thinking to modify the 14x24 plans to be more in line with the Builder's Cottage - front entrance on the gable end.  And then face the entrance toward me in the pic.  I haven't made up my mind yet, but my concern is to be able to expand the one-room cabin into a full fledged house in the future.  And it just seems like it would be easier to do off of the long sides.  If anyone has any great ideas of future expansion designs, let me know.
shawn

Homesick_Gypsy

I have the Builder's Cottage plans and my plan is to add a bedroom off the bathroom side, and a dining/den off the kitchen side.  French doors from the bedroom opening to a small private deck with maybe a hot tub or clawfoot tub.  Sliding glass doors from the dining/den to a large public deck.

If I can find my drawing, I'll post it.