Shed Roof Ventilation

Started by Darren, February 22, 2020, 07:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren

Hello everybody. I am new here and hoping to ask a few questions before I start my first build this spring. I purchased 10 acres of woods in Oklahoma and am looking to build a simple shed for storing a lawnmower and a few basic tools. The land is raw land without power and water. So I thought I would start with a basic 10' by 12' that I could sleep inside and get out of the weather, also to set up rain catchment for watering a few trees and cleaning up. I thought a sloping roof would be the simplest roof for a first build and for catching water.  I figured I would build the south wall 10' tall and the north wall 8'. Is this enough slope for some kind of metal roof? I could add 6" or a foot if I need to but hate to be so steep that I have problems. This build will be done buy myself without help. Also I would like to be able to use a small loft for sleeping or storage and wonder about roof insulation. How is a sloping roof vented without a attic. Would one of those round turbine vents going out the top be ok? I was going to stuff fiberglass between the rafters but I don't want mold problems. Thanks for any help.

Hi, a metal roof is good up to 1/12 so a floor higher on tall side. With Lap sealer you can go as low as .5/12
And standing seam is good for .25/12

You can ventilate the shed roof by leaving a two inch air gap between insulation and deck and have some air admittance.

If it were me I'd put some foam board insulation above the deck, and make the attic part of the inside space.

With a build  that  size I'd consider building it all Off site and then just trucking it to the site like a pre fab

Dave Sparks

For collecting rain water, I would use a painted metal roof as opposed to just a silver galvanized. Usually a safer bet to drink water from a painted meat roof. I would also  have the water tested after it has been up for a month or more.
"we go where the power lines don't"