Are window sills and window stools the same.....

Started by rick91351, March 30, 2014, 08:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

Browsing several books on trim and really studying one of them.  I am running into the term window stool.  Sort of looks, tastes, and smells like a window sill.  Is there a difference?  Does a window sill refer to like the old wooden single or double hung windows?
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Don_P

What most people call the sill is actually the stool.

The sill is the angled bottommost board of the window frame. The stool is the level interior board that caps over the sill and butts into the bottom of the window sash when it is closed. There is a half dovetail rabbet cut along the bottom edge to lap onto the angled sill and usually an ogee or rounded front and end that lap onto the wall. The side casings drop onto the stool and the apron is under it. Does that all jibe with what you're reading?

rick91351

Quote from: Don_P on March 30, 2014, 09:53:04 PM
What most people call the sill is actually the stool.

The sill is the angled bottommost board of the window frame. The stool is the level interior board that caps over the sill and butts into the bottom of the window sash when it is closed. There is a half dovetail rabbet cut along the bottom edge to lap onto the angled sill and usually an ogee or rounded front and end that lap onto the wall. The side casings drop onto the stool and the apron is under it. Does that all jibe with what you're reading?

Thanks Don.  It fits but when you have done it before but without any training in the trade..... :o  I am sort of use to the one size fits all terminology.  Just want to get it right.. :D

Sort of like a spur track or a passing track.  To most people they are the same until you work in the craft. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: herzog on November 08, 2023, 10:49:12 PMHello Journeyman, can I save and use this photo of yours?      (user deleted: spam)

By all means help yourself.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: herzog on November 08, 2023, 10:49:12 PMHello Journeyman, can I save and use this photo of yours?      (user deleted: spam)

Feel free to use.

billy boy

The stool is the horizontal piece you sit stuff on inside, and the sill is the outer horizontal part. Sill is more common lingo, but some old-school folks still use stool.