small house plan, taller wall

Started by zzwarnock, September 15, 2014, 01:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzwarnock

I'm building a variation of the small house (10x14) single slope roof from this site but a little bigger with a taller wall in the front to get some angle on the roof.  I have 3 walls that are the same height and one that is 3 feet taller.  I'm building the taller wall in one piece with longer studs verses in two pieces so I cant over lap the second top plate to connect tall wall with two shorter ones  Any opinions on best way to connect the three together?

MountainDon

Have you actually started construction or still in the planning stages?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

zzwarnock

Started construction but not on that wall.

UK4X4

I'm planning a similar building but just at the graph paper stage, mines drawn with angled top plates

Really though with a  single angle flat rafter there's no outward push on the walls as such

Just the usual trapezoid movement to worry about,

If you birds mouthed the rafters  and made the triangular infills more rigid  it should firm things up.

But I'm  no expert ! And I'm sure a more code orientated answer will appear

MountainDon

I'm thinking along the lines of building the three shorter walls all the same height as the short "back" wall. (the tallest wall being the "front" wall.) Then infilling the triangle with framing as in a gable end wall. Use some Simpson metal brackets for assisting with the corners. Also use the exterior sheathing (OSB?) to tie corners together. Use tall, 9 or 10 foot sheets to allow overlapping the rim joists and the top plates.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Or build the short wall and the tall wall, then build the two side walls stick by stick to permit full studs top to bottom.

Don_P

Yes, studs should run from floor to roof uninterrupted. Lapping the top plates isn't actually required. If for some reason the sheathing cannot tie the walls together run some simpson strapping around the corner.

zzwarnock

Thanks guys. It was mostly those pesky corners I was concerned about and not being able to overlap the top plates but I think you are right, the overlapping sheathing and simpson straps should tie the three walls together fine.

markert2523

I probably should have done it like Don says, but I was making it up as I went when I built the manshed.  I built the three short walls all the same height.

Don_P

A better rafter detail might be to angle the top plate of the tall wall to the roof pitch, avoiding the upper notch that really weakens the rafter. At the bottom end of the rafter the level cut portion of the birdsmouth should not extend inside the wall, you want the bottom edge of the rafter bearing on the wall.

zzwarnock

Size of building and roof slope angle look very similar to what I am building and I would have done the tall wall the same, even though no windows going in there, but read on this site somewhere that the wall would be stronger as one piece. I'm getting lots of good info out of this post.