Builder's Cottage - Wind load

Started by lexxter, May 12, 2005, 06:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexxter

Hello,

Just recently found this site. I would like to build a  Builder's Cottage. Later on, I would like to add a Victoria's Cottage. Much like the combination project shown on the site.

I live in NW Florida on the coast. I would be building these on some property that is at least 50 miles inland. I am not sure what the code requires. I think it is 140 mph here, but goes down to 120 mph where I will be building.

My question is what wind loads are the stock plans designed to support? Is there a better solution that I should be looking at?

Also, it looks like the combination project was started a couple of years ago. Why are there no completed photos?

Thanks...

jraabe

Any house in FL will need an engineering review for wind load and hurricane ties. No stock plan will be designed for hurricanes as it would be a waste of money building that way in 98% of the locations it would be built.

The plans you mention are actually designed to have pretty strong wind resistance (80 lbs/sf) but you will need extra hold-downs and some additional straps between the walls and the rafters.

If you find a practical engineer it will not be a big deal.