My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin

Started by MountainDon, December 20, 2006, 02:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Quote from: Dog on January 01, 2009, 06:03:38 PM
....I finally made it through your entire thread!....

You are persistent     :)    sorry for all the drift  :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Don it has probabaly been 25-30 years since I rode snowmobils.  I always remembered that in light deep snow the secret was to stay light in the load and keep moving at a good pace.  If you slowed or had too much weight you would have to dig out constantly. I guess they haven't changed them that much in that amount of time.  A packed trail was very easy to load up on and kept you  moving . That is until a plug fouled out. Always carried a couple extra in the tool pocket.  You learn real quick that decending in a forrest never stop straddling a tree between the runners. Virtually impossible to pull a heavy machine backwards and uphill by hand. ;D  Hope you get the machine close to civilization.   

NM_Shooter

Did you get your sled out?  I am tied up tomorrow but could be available Sunday if you need help.  I'm hoping that the snow is a bit better crusted over.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Nope...   :(

James' skid steer is not operative right now so we can't even try to plow out a route like he did last spring.

We have things in the way here Sunday. Not sure when or what we're going to do.

MountainDon

I have been thinking of snowshoeing back up with some of my heavy duty tie down web straps  (2" wide) and using them and the come-a-long that's up in the shed to help turn the machine back around. I didn't take careful enough note, but I don't think there's a near enough anchor behind it to pull it backwards. But a sideways on the nose might work.   ???    Wheels are turning slowly in my mind.  Lots of anchors (trees) in front of it but I don't want to go that way.   d*

NM_Shooter

How deep is the snow that it is in?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

22 -23 inches. It's not in a position that gets much direct sunshine either; northerly side of trees. But with warm air temps during a few hours of the day that may help.

The front end of the skis are against a fallen tree. There's nothing behind it all at within reasonable distance to use as an anchor. That may be just as well as the left ski is angled up against the fallen tree enough that I suspect the rear of the ski will try to dig in and break/bend if a direct rear pull was attempted.

MountainDon

I just spent $1699!! :o   :D 

I got a deal on an Outback VFX3524M Inverter. 24 VDC input with 3500 watts of continuous pure sine wave AC power output!

The M is a mobile (RV, boat) designated model. The only real difference between it and the normal off grid model is the M is limited to a 30 amp pass through, whereas the regular off grid has up to 60 amps pass through. 30 amps is 3600 watts and my generator isn't quite that big anyhow. So it's perfect for a cabin with a 30 amp service.  :D  Saved $335 off their price and $200 off the best price I found elsewhere. Plus no shipping, just a gallon of gas. No tax like I'd likely be paying if purchased from another state.

Affordable Solar across the river in Albuquerque had one they reduced the price on. It's now mine! I get to pick it up tomorrow. Installation to come later in spring. No sales tax either, and it counts towards the total for my federal alternative energy tax credit for tax year 2009.

Next will be the panels and panel mount.  :) :)

glenn kangiser

That is a great inverter, Don.  My neighbor next mountain over is a tester for Outback.  You can do a lot with that much power.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Outback products are almost bullet proof.  ;D  They are the only inverter I know of that is operation rated for down past 40 degrees below zero. Some of the Xantrex are only rated down a little below freezing. Magnum are rated down to 4 degrees I think. I want this to be workable down to any likely winter time temp we might encounter up in the Jemez, so it seemed like a natural choice. It is going to be mounted in an unheated area.

I believe Outback is the only inverter manufacturer that only makes pure sine wave inverters; no 'modified' square wave.

The 3524 can also be stacked for greater power needs, like any top line inverter. However, I don't think I'm going to need more at the cabin. This should be plenty of power.

I found out something interesting about inverters today; I'll post in a new topic.

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

MountainDon

I have the VFX3524M inverter now in my possession .  :) :)  It's my guess that the M for mobile version is not all that hot a mover. The production date codes would seem to indicate that they've had it in stock for a year. No big deal to me as it suits our small cabin perfectly.

I came away with a list of the PV panels they have in the ABQ warehouse. I've been tossing things around as to what's best... what's in stock here and would not have freight charges added vs. other available panels that would have freight added. I have pretty much decided. More later for whomever is interested.

I want winter to end right now so I can get on with this.  >:(

phalynx

The "M" (Marine) versions are not popular because a) there aren't that many installed in sub-par boats that required heavy duty inverter protection from the elements. and b) they derate the inverters to allow for the heat dissapation from the enclosed unit. 

For typically the same price as the marine units, the non-marine units output about 10-15% more capability.  Personally, I'd buy it on sale like you did.  If you are bumping up against your limits, you under-purchased the inverter anyway. 

MountainDon

For every day use this inverter is overkill, but it provides the ability to run circular saws, etc without the need to fire up the generator.

In the case of Outback the normal off grid and the M for mobile versions sell for the same prices, same power output. For Marine uses they recommend their non vented line, FX prefix instead of VFX. As well they recommend the use of the T for Turbo models which have a small external cooling fan. The non vented ones are ideal for areas with proximity to water, salt air or extreme dust. The Outback FX series are used in Iraq and survive quite well.

soomb

I love all of this solar talk, as I will be headed that way in about 2 years.  Don: can some of this be sent to the new energy post you started?
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

MountainDon

Quote from: soomb on January 14, 2009, 12:05:44 PM
I love all of this solar talk, as I will be headed that way in about 2 years.  Don: can some of this be sent to the new energy post you started?

Talking solar gets some folks hot.   ;D

I will try to keep the info regarding PV power over there in the Off Grid topic. That way it may be easier to reference.

Bishopknight

Very nice MountainDon,

I've heard nothing but good things about Outback chargers/inverters. With the new Federal incentives, I'll also be making some purchases this spring myself.

MountainDon

I ordered the Outback FlexMAX60 charge controller, the remote temperature sensor (RTS) for the battery bank and the Mate. The Mate is the remote control module so the charge controller can be programmed, statistics checked and operation monitored from inside the cabin. The Mate also has an RS-232 port if I decide to save all the data and crunch numbers on the computer.  ::)

This lot is coming from another NM solar dealer, TheSolar.Biz.
FlexMAX60 Charge Controller is $485.97
Outback RTS is $25.97
Mate Remote Monitor and Control $212.97
shipping approx 40.00 , no sales tax again as they are a NM firm and the end use is in NM. They beat the local Affordable Solar by $77 even with the shipping.

It costs money to build a reliable power company.   :D

I'll have to wait a whole year before I can take the tax credits.  :(

Jens

Looked at popular science magazine the other night.  They have a V8 powered snowblower in there.  Thought you might like it.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

MountainDon

I ordered my PV panels this morning. Three Sharp 208 watt panels @ $829 each. That's $3.99 a watt.  :)  I pick them up Monday and avoid the shipping costs. Affordable Solar again. They have 23 of those still in stock, FYI.

I can't install them until spring, but I've never seen a price under $4.50 a watt before and thought it best to grab them while they were still available as it is a discontinued model.

Plus I ordered a top of pole mount for them from a local mount manufacturer.

glenn kangiser

Sassy

Great prices on the solar panels!  
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free