Ammo pricing...

Started by NM_Shooter, May 07, 2009, 09:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Saw an ad in the paper today for .380 Auto ammunition.  50 round box, and the seller wanted $50. 

Unbelievable!

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

pagan

Sounds like someone looking for a sucker.

NM_Shooter

Yeah... I saw another add a couple of days ago.  A guy was selling 500 pcs of .40S&W lead projectiles (not jacketed) for $55.  You can buy these online for $72 per 1k.

I won't buy lead unless it is $0.05 each, or jacketed for $0.10 

I haven't been able to buy anything for awhile.  Luckily I have a couple of pieces in reserve.  :P

MountainDon

I've heard that 380 is one of the more difficult calibers to find for the past couple months. Not that any are easy.

We did score on five hundred .308 Prvi Partisan 168 gr match at 0.80 ea ($16/20) which is good enoug these days.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: MountainDon on May 07, 2009, 09:33:24 AM
I've heard that 380 is one of the more difficult calibers to find for the past couple months. Not that any are easy.

We did score on five hundred .308 Prvi Partisan 168 gr match at 0.80 ea ($16/20) which is good enoug these days.

Holy cow.  Hang onto your brass.  Is it boxer or berdan primed?

Hmmm... actually, if you are into collecting brass, you should probably bend over and grab your brass with both hands.  ::)

MountainDon

Boxer primed, reloadable    :)

with shipping it comes out to 83.8 cents a round
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on May 07, 2009, 10:41:59 AM

You can reload the Berdan primed brass Don. It adds two extra steps and some time, but considering how hard brass is getting to find, I'ts certainly worth saving.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

We are saving the brass.

A reloader is in the foreseeable future.

apaknad

the only thing i am having trouble finding is 357 mag. cabelas has it but i don't get down there often.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

cordwood

Try pricing a box of 45-70 rounds!!!!!!!!!!!! :( Now the price kicks harder than the gun ::)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

NM_Shooter

Stopped in a local gunshop yesterday at lunch.  The proprietor told me that his cost on a box of .38spl is $35 !!!!

Either the middle man or the manufacturer is making huge profits.

There was also an interview with one of our local sheriffs who said that they can't get ammo to practice with. 

This is weird.  A few "experts" said that interest in hoarding ammo was waning as of a couple of months ago, as most folks felt that they had as much ammo as they needed, and that supply levels should be returning to normal.  Not yet it isn't!!! 

Windpower

My supply of ammo is 'adequate' at this point but I did walk over to the ammo section at the Farm 'n Fleet in Northern IL just for fun

there were 2 boxes of 223   

and a half dozen or so boxes of 12 gauge bird shot

that was all

and they stock virtually all the common calibers normally

lots of empty shelf there

a few weeks ago I was in Cabelas they had just about everything you could imagine -- even some uncommon African rounds like the 404 Jeffery

but it wasn't cheap
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

peternap

Learn to cast and swage bullets. Horde brass and powder and primers.

Buy every 22LR that isn't painted.

Smile at the empty ammo shelves ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

small heavy box (.308) arrived today   :) :)

plus last night I found 500 more 22LR Mini-Mags

...getting closer to a decision on a blackpowder gun......

Redoverfarm

Quote from: peternap on May 07, 2009, 10:45:31 AM
Quote from: MountainDon on May 07, 2009, 10:41:59 AM

You can reload the Berdan primed brass Don. It adds two extra steps and some time, but considering how hard brass is getting to find, I'ts certainly worth saving.

Peter

My dad has been loading Berdan primers for years in my 30-06. 

peternap

Good for him John!
It's a terrible waste to throw it out like many people do.
It's also not that hard to do after you get the first primers out and ream the pockets.

Redoverfarm

I just got an E-mail advertisement from Sportsman Guide on Ammo sale.  Some didn't seem that bad and others maybe.  They even have $10 off for over $99 purchase.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/section/sl.aspx?s=6999&gif=Y

MountainDon

Here's a funny our son told us at dinner.

He saw an auction on gunbroker.com (a joke auction) for a single 45 ACP round, starting bid $1000. It ran up over $500K before it was pulled.

Dinner was for Mother's Day and on his dime. Mom also received her own allotment of the 308 ammo.   ;D

glenn kangiser

Sportsman's Guide - 40 S W seems about non-existent until June.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.