Woodstove in small space

Started by cbc58, October 04, 2018, 10:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

I am thinking about building a small shed (no larger than 10x14) that could be used to sleep in during colder weather (NH), and really want to be able to have a wood stove with glass that will provide heat and give a fireplace feel.  I want a wood stove that will last for up to 6 hours and some of the really tiny ones don't have that capacity. 

Wonder what might be some ideas to set this up so that you can have a wood stove going and adjust the heat as needed without getting baked out of the place.   And so you don't have to get out of bed to open/close windows/doors. 

MountainDon

That may be difficult to do in such a small cabin. All the modern day EPA approved stoves I have seen have a lot of mass, much from firebrick lining. When first lit they seem to take a long time to get up to temperature, and then are holding so much heat a 10 x 14 may easily become too warm. 

A safe installation will eat up a lot of floor space. We have a small VC Aspen which needs 24" to each side to combustibles or 16" if a heat protection system is used. 13" or 9" to the rear and a full 48" to anything in front.

???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

akwoodchuck

Most woodburning stoves are rated more for the 1000 sq. ft. range, not  the 100 sq. ft...we just spent last week at the cabin (12x16), and the tiny cast iron Jotul stove cooked our brains as always...with two tiny spruce splits in it and the windows open! ;D

...really the only good options for tiny homes and woodburning are: a big, airtight stove and no insulation, (this makes epic icicles!) or a tight, well insulated envelope with a quick burning "rocket" type stove that provides periodic bursts of heat when needed...
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

NathanS

They do make marine woodstoves that people use in boats and RVs.

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/

There is no way you'd get 6 hour burns from them though. You might not need it if you run it up to 75 when you get in bed, with decent insulation it could still be 65 in the morning.

You could also have a propane space heater that would kick on when the temp got too low late at night. I'd leave a window cracked in that case.

cbc58

akwoodchuck - is your 12x16 insulated?  my "shed" would not be insulated (probably board and batten siding).   think a small wood stove would be too much in that case? 

i've watched numerous videos on small houses where they say their tiny woodstove bakes them out - but those are very well insulated.  also looked at wall propane heaters that have a flame - and that is a fallback option - but I really want to use wood. 

appreciate all the replies.   

akwoodchuck

Yeah the cabin is well insulated- about r-19 throughout....really the two propane lanterns are enough to heat it in summer or early fall...it is hard to resist the cozyness factor of that crackling fire however....
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

cbc58

hmmm....   maybe a wood stove with double doors - leave it open like a fireplace...  uninsulated shed.   wouldn't get long-term heat but would get that crackling fire feel.  wonder if you can throw coal in a regular fire to keep the heat going a bit longer... 

MountainDon

When the two fuels are burned at the same time, the sulphur released by the coal and water from the wood combine to create a nasty solution that will stick to and corrode your stove system, or so I have been told.  Since I have no coal I have never even thought of trying it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

I think you are looking for something more like Andrew's rocket stove/mass bench. A masonry heater or similar. It absorbs the heat, moderates the swings and is burned with small, short bursts of wood. They work well in winter but not so well if you have longer shoulder seasons where you might want a chill chaser in the morning but then it warms up to where you don't want heat. I put a window right by the bed and would open it until the fire went out when we had a little tin stove in an 8x12.

busted knuckles

I am living in a 12x8 insulated cabin, till the house is finished. I have been using a force 10 propane heater. Its a marine heater and its vented. I have a co2 alarm for safety.  it has been a real joy. Keeps the place pretty toasty. I probably go through a 20lb tank in 10 days, the winters here are -10 to -16 Celsius. That is me using the heater from approx 5pm to 6am, 7 days a week.
you know that mugshot of Nick Nolte? I wish I looked that good.

Ernest T. Bass

Quote from: Don_P on October 06, 2018, 03:20:23 PM
I think you are looking for something more like Andrew's rocket stove/mass bench. A masonry heater or similar. It absorbs the heat, moderates the swings and is burned with small, short bursts of wood. They work well in winter but not so well if you have longer shoulder seasons where you might want a chill chaser in the morning but then it warms up to where you don't want heat. I put a window right by the bed and would open it until the fire went out when we had a little tin stove in an 8x12.

I think it could be a good option, though I'd have a hard time accepting a huge masonry bench in my tiny home from a space-efficiency standpoint.. maybe it would be a worthwhile tradeoff tho.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

cbc58

Appreciate all the replies.  You have given me some things to think about.

cbc58

Don_P

paul s

my solution would be this

a porch added

uninsulated
windows could be used storm windows and door

put wood heater there

open door to cabin

better yet perhaps a wood cook stove

or what ever your heart desires

paul

ChugiakTinkerer

My sister is building an 8x16 cabin with half loft and is planning on using this stove: http://www.usstove.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_66&product_id=121

My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Dave Sparks

"we go where the power lines don't"