House Roof/Porch Roof Tie-in Area Question?

Started by Rys, May 09, 2018, 08:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rys

I've noticed that most people on our forums have the porch roof be a continuation of the house roof. Is there a reason for doing this?  ???
My roof pitch will be 12/12 with 10' exterior walls. I prefer the look of a gap of at least one foot between the two rooflines for asthetic reasons.

Don_P

You can do this, it adds cost, complexity and maintenance. Another soffit and fascia to be framed and siding flashed and installed in a likely splash zone and tight uncomfortable working quarters. Just one of those things to be weighed.

Rys

Figured there was a reason but I still like the way it looks.  Thanks Don.

Don_P

If you do it make it large enough to actually work on. The guys will be laying on the porch roof reaching in to nail up under there and into the wall, and then painting or staining. Try to find enough rubber backed carpet remnants or similar to protect the roofing while they are wallowing around up there. 

Rys

JRR

You might consider making the gap high enough to install small windows.  Get some natural light through.

Rys

Great idea JRR. Sadly neither my budget or my building ability will stretch that far!

MushCreek

There are a number of old houses around here with a very small gap in the roofs. Small, as in there only appears to be a few inches between the lower roof and the upper fascia. I've always wondered how they installed and maintained those areas.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.