Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmlsr

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

dmlsr

we where at the camp today to change the stairs. I wanted something alittle more user friendly. Im not getting any younger. Try to post some pic's tomorrow.
This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

dmlsr

Thank you for looking
Dave

glenn kangiser

The cabin and stairs are looking great, Dave.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

pagan

I like the hatch to access the storage area under the stairs.

Sassy

Looks really nice, bet you all are enjoying it!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

jdbmont

Hi, I've read all your posts and am very impressed with your cabin.
I am building a 14 x 24 cabin and I would like to ask how you anchored the
bottom of your porch support beams? Great porch by the way.

dmlsr

im not sure what part you are talking about.

Thank you for looking
Dave

jdbmont

Sorry I didn,t make myself clear. You put a roof  over  the decking and  your
vertical support beams are  sitting on the decking. I was wondering
if you anchored them up from the bottom because I don't see any sign of
angle iron or lag screws going in from the bottom of the roof support beams to the decking. Thanks,

dmlsr

Thank you for looking
Dave

Redoverfarm

jdbmont on my post I put a rot resistent material (rubber, plastic) about 1/4" thick and then lagged from the underside of the porch into the post. That got my post off the deck where water would stand.   

dmlsr

well we got going on the railings upstairs this past weekend . not much done but happy with the look.

We are using 4x4 for the post 4" space on the bottom , then a 2X4 standing up.  We made the black pipe  out of  electrical conduit pipe 3/4 inside we cut  24" long. Then  drilled in the wood 1" ever 5 inches. By drilling ever 5" it gives us the 4" gap to stay in code. We added a little glue in each hole. Then on top  a 2x4 standing up and then one laying down. this gave us a height of 36" ,thats code.

You can buy the pipes at homedepot . they are 30.00 abox of 15 and they are smaller around. We think ours look better . It would have cost us $210.00 to buy them done. It cost us 70.00 plus 2 cans of black paint.

Thank you for looking
Dave

Sassy

It just keeps looking nicer & nicer!   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MaineRhino

dmlsr

acouple more pic's of railing

Thank you for looking
Dave

lunk30

hi the cabin is the balls .... im trying to talk the old lady into buying some land in NH and building something similar to yours... your pics are awesome all pretty straight forward except for the plumbing... Where are the kitchen/bath sinks and shower draining to?  Ive looked into the compost tiolets does yours have a tank in the crawl space underneath... And also what about water supply? and do you have to drain in the winter?

archangel

Was there ever an answer as to WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT WEATHER STICK ALL ABOUT?!

Is there is a joke involved, a family tradition, or is it like dowsing water and taken serious by some?

Inquiring people, (well, there are two of us) want to know. ;D

apl.1984

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_stick

the weather stick is a stick that reacts to humidity so when its dry out the stick points up = no rain and the more humidity the stick points down= chance of rain
this is for you pepere

EaglesSJ

First off I would like to say, beautiful cabin. A real motivator. Secondly I have a couple of questions. I am getting out of the military in 6 months after 6 long years and I have purchased 25 acres back home in KY on the creek. I paid 27k for the land and I only took out a 60k loan for everything. So this leaves me a little over 30k for the building of my cabin. I really like the looks of yours and I was wondering if you would mind sharing a bit of what I can come to expect on cost. It will be built by myself, my dad, and a couple friends. I just want to make sure were gonna have enough to do this, my fiancee is starting to get worried. Were not wanting anything too crazy, just a basic cabin with running water, septic tank, 110v electric, and a porch. If you could provide any info with this it would be more than appreciated. And again sweet looking place!

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum EaglesSJ.

From what I have seen, if you do the work yourselves and are not extravagant you should be fine on cost.

Dave and family did a great job on their cabin.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

apl.1984

first off i want to say thank you for serving our country. next is the cabin cost me and dave about 20,000 thats with no electricity, well, and septic. some things we got on craigslist like stove, fridge, water heater, sink, cupboards, wood stove etc. a tip we learned was don't cheap out, if you need it then get it. dont want to have to do it again. any questions feel free to ask.                    alex
this is for you pepere

dmlsr

just built a clatter pump. Cant wait til spring to install it and see if its going to do the job we need it to do.

Thank you for looking
Dave

glenn kangiser

dmlsr

Thank you for looking
Dave

Thejapster

This is a great cabin,i love all the details really makes it stand out