Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmlsr

Well we got alot done Sunday and Monday .I  got my stone work done , We built our front steps and we put in the pipe for our stove heater

Jimmy_Cason

Looks great!

I can't wait for the next set of pics!

dmlsr

Get day to work . Weather was awsum. Did a lot of little things that just took up most of my day.
Al came up after work and cut some firewood .

No pic's to post today sorry

glenn-k

There are always tons of small details.

dmlsr

We i have not been posting because we have been just doing little things here and there. I did take a few pic's of  some of the front we got done this past weekend.

glenn-k

Got any big get togethers planned there yet, Dave?  Looks near ready. :)

ListerD

Looks great!

This has to be one of my favorites and I love the rustic look it conveys.

dmlsr

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

glenn kangiser

Hey Dave, you successfully made the jump to the new forum.  Glad you are here.:)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

pericles

I know this was a while back in the building process for you, but could you talk a little more about the construction of your loft?  I read the discussion on that topic in another one of the forums, but it looks like you did something different - didn't use a router on your studs, just put a beam right across them?  How did you secure the beam to which the loft rafters are attached?
Jack Larkin
jlarkin1@law.villanova.edu

dmlsr

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

pericles

The sides.  It looks like you fixed a long board, maybe a 2x6 to the wall studs with nails (screws?) and ran something beneath that board for support.  Then it looks like you affixed the loft rafters (joists?  I'm fuzzy on the names still) to the board with some sort of L bracket? 

I ask because it seems like a good way to set the loft lower than the top plate of the wall frame - and thus increase headroom - without cutting a notch in the wall studs.  Easier to do, which is good for a novice like me, and postpones the decision of where to put the loft until after the walls are up.
Jack Larkin

dmlsr

Ok i know what your talking about now.  Pic's are back on page 3.
We used timberlok screws.  Two at each stud. They are not cheap but work awsum.

Thank you for looking
Dave

dmlsr

Well we have not been work much because we have been out hunting.
Did a little here and there.

Built a little enclosure for our propane tanks.

And now we have snow so we will move back in and work on the bathroom.

Thank you for looking
Dave

cbc58

Hi Dave,

Just came accross this site and I am planning to build a cabin also in NH (Hancock).

I have a question on how you are doing the water/greywater/septic.  How did you go about getting approval from the state for the greywater system you put in?  Are you going to have running water... ?   

Any advice/info is appreciated.  Looks like a great cabin... something very similar to what I have in mind.

Chris

dmlsr

Water will be pumped from the brook and stored in a water tower we are building. This will give us our water pressure into the camp. The ends of the tank for the water tower  where the ends off a old wire spool about 4feet across. The sides are wood from a pallet we took apart to keep cost down. The bands are just thin flat stock that i welded ends on to be able to tighten down

We have a composting toilet , they did not grant us a septic system.

Thank you for looking
Dave

pericles

We're thinking about using a composting toilet, at least until we have the time/money to put in something more.  Could you give me an idea what that's like?  I can't smell ANYTHING, but my wife has a sensitive nose and is a little finicky.  A friend swears up and down that they're no different than a regular john, but I have reservations still.

-Jack
Jack Larkin

dmlsr

We have no smell at all with ours. The draw back is you have to empty it . Not that big a deal . just something i dont enjoy doing

Thank you for looking
Dave

ScottA

I'm wondering why the septic wasn't approved. Too close to a lake or creek? Ground won't perk? ?? I'm not too keen on letting the government say no without having a good reason.

dmlsr

They did not want us to live there full time.  Im sure down the road they will let it in . We where lucky to get our building permit at all.

Thank you for looking
Dave

cbc58

I lived in a house with a composting toilet and there was no smell at all.  Just takes a little getting used to.  You could also go with an incenerating toilet but that's more $$.

GunPilot

Quote from: dmlsr on December 27, 2007, 04:33:42 PM
They did not want us to live there full time.  Im sure down the road they will let it in . We where lucky to get our building permit at all.

I'm a little confused.  How can "they" tell you where to live and for how long??  You own the land, right? Sorry, rant off.  That is a great cabin you have built -really fine work. I'm sure your father and grandfather would be very proud of it.

-George

benevolance

well now that you have it built...I say dig a septic..A long week-end with a machine and lots of help is the ticket...Have a couple loads of sand and 1 or 2 inch clear rock on site..Design the system first have all the perforated pipe ready...Keep it on the down low as much as possible..Make it look like you are landscaping...And then just do it...

You built the cabin legally and you are in it..They cannot stop you from living in it...and if you do a good job with the septic they will eventually go away on that issue also...They will be plenty pissed I imagine...Or they might not even notice....Unless you have a neighbor with a camera who likes to complain?

If you are left alone for a few days to get er done...I cannot imagine anyone even bothering you about it....

AKbound

What a beautiful cabin!!  I can only imagine the satisfaction of building my own cabin with my own two hands - a dream that I intend to persue this spring in Alaska.  This is an inspiration. 

dmlsr

Thank you for looking
Dave