Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

I see you got some blue stain Pine.  It is caused by a fungal growth from beetle attack (if I remember right) and  doesn't really do any damage to the wood.  I think it really adds to the nice look of the wood - nice contrast.  I have it here also and like to use it on things I build.  Looks great, Dave.  Thanks for the update.

MountainDon

You got things moving along and looking great, guys! Good job. I love the pine that Glenn referred to as blue stain. Back home in Canada it was called silver pine, IIRC. I think it's the same thing, just regional nomenclature differences. The savvy lumber yards culled it from the incoming shipments and charged more for it.   >:(  I plan of using some for my cabin interior walls and kitchen cabinetry.

dmlsr

Only worked a few hours on Sunday. Got somemore of the bathroom done.

Thanks for looking

Dave

glenn-k

MountainDon

Hey Dave, I do love what you're doing. Looks great!  :)

Could you expand a little on your dry well?
(I've started a topic re grey water dispersal....  http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1170537045)

APG

Dave,

Can you share some details about your wood stove?

Thanks

williet

It all looks just great!

Where did you find the cabinets? They look like they're solid.

dmlsr

The cabinets are 30 year old pine and i got them off of www.craigslist. They  where about a mile from my house and cost me $75.00.

The wood stove. What do you want to know. It is a fireplace insert I got from a friend. Al and I cut off all the outter sheild and welded legs on it. It is a Timberland stove. We have about $30.00 dollars into it and it is working just fine.

The dry well is something i dont know much about. I looked up some stuff on the net and looked at what i had to work with for free and spent about $25.00 dollars and you see from the pic's what we ended up with.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

John_M

Place looks great Dave!  The more that I looked at your kitchen, the more I liked the sink.  Where did you find one like that?  Is it called something different?

Thanks!

dmlsr

I got it on Ebay. It was in maine . I paid 60.00 for it .  U can find them out there but they can run up to like $300.00

Thanks for looking

Dave

youngins

Is that a tar paper strip underneath the window? What purpose did/does it serve?

Chuckca

Dave, Can you post 360 degree pictures of the interrior?

Thanks
Chuck

glenn-k

QuoteIs that a tar paper strip underneath the window? What purpose did/does it serve?

That is a flashing strip to kind of make water stay out of the walls - John posted a proper method a while back.

Here is a PDF I found that should be correct.

dmlsr

Hi Chuckca ,I will take some pic's the next time im up at the camp.

Sunday we took most of the day off and did some ice fishing.

Al making a hole in the ice

Eric waiting for a  flag

Al and David with David's first fish of the day

Al with Eric and Eric's first fish of the day

One of Al's nice fish

Thanks for looking
Dave

dmlsr

Monday was a pretty good day for getting some stuff done.
Pic's are of the front wall in the loft.

we cooked on the wood stove

Thanks for looking
Dave

benevolance

does not get much better than fresh fish cooked on the woodstove...that is when you know it is a camp

the boards look awesome on the end wall upstairs also...

glenn-k

That is really great Dave.  Makes me think I'd like to go fishing again some day.  Never done Ice fishing though.  I'm more of a stream or lake trout fisherman.  I get to following a stream and don't know when to stop sometimes -- because when I decide to stop - then it is a long way back to the truck, but fun.

benevolance

glenn

you mean that they have water and streams out where you live? :P

littlegirlgo

Dave and Al
You know what's so great about your topic - besides the fabulous cabin? Its that you are doing this as a family and having great times together. I congratulate you!

Bouncer

Dave,
It looks like you used Faced insulation. If you did then why are you putting what looks like roofing felt
on top of that?
Kevin

dmlsr

QuoteDave,
It looks like you used Faced insulation. If you did then why are you putting what looks like roofing felt
on top of that?
Kevin

Kevin

The mill where we get our wood did not have enuff seasoned wood for us to do the walls. So  we are putting tar paper behind so when the wood drys you will only see the black tar paper.

thanks for looking

Dave  

dmlsr

QuoteDave and Al
You know what's so great about your topic - besides the fabulous cabin? Its that you are doing this as a family and having great times together. I congratulate you!

THANK YOU

DAVE

Bouncer

glenn-k

Quoteglenn

you mean that they have water and streams out where you live? :P

Peter, We have the tallest mountains in the  US mainland complete with High Sierra lakes and streams.  We have to flush so the east coast will have water.   ::)

benevolance

flushing so everyone else has water....That is pretty funny...

I just dont see you guys having much water....They are raping what little water there is for agri use...wells are 500 + deep minimum....Lakes are drying up salinity is going beserk.....

And yet the population is out of control....I know there is a lot of water in the Colorado...But they need three or four more of them flowing through the desert...

No wonder all the illegal  mexicans come to america...The USA rapes the Rio Grande and the Colorado so badly that they are merely streams saturated with silt and pollution by the time they cross into Mexico.....The Illegals must be coming over for the water
::) ::) ::) ::) ::)