Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeholdfarm

You guys are really doing a great job on your cabin.  It looks professionally done.

Is someone going to live in it, or is it going to be a vacation cabin?

Kathleen

dmlsr

just a vacation hunting / fishing home

thanks
Dave

APG

Dave,

Is there anything that you'd do differently?  Any re-thinks?  Your project is a real inspiration and HUGE motivation for me.  Thanks for sharing with us!

dmlsr

About the only thing would be to go with 12 foot wall and not 10's
It would have gave us more room upstairs

Thanks

Dave

John_M

Dave

The place looks great!!  

You mentioned 12 foot walls.  I did this on mine.  Just thought others might want to look at it for a comparison.  I was very unsure of what to do with mine.  Not sure if it would look funny or not!  Took a chance (because I had no ther photo reference).

http://ourlittlecabin.blogspot.com/

chatycady

Your cabin is so cute. I really like the shutters and wondering if they are made from 1X6's.

Please send me some snow! We are snowless here. :)

MountainDon

Please send me some snow! We are snowless here. :)

You can have all the snow you want from here. Got 13" locally and 24" up in my mtns. Most snow in one day ever, and second most snow ever in two days. Ever being ever since 1931.

chatycady

It's the first December in over 30 years that we haven't had snow! So I'll take whatever you can send my way. We always have snow and cold in January. We have neither! ;) ;)

cockergod18

the snow is gone and tomarrow is going to be in the low 60's
im ok with it makes working and getting to the cabin eaiser just wish it cools down soon so i can icefish

dmlsr

i think the shutters at 1x5 but im not sure. What ever it was to made it work out and look good.

Thanks for looking

Dave

dmlsr

What a weekend. Weather was awsum

We got the walkway and stairs in on Sunday and Monday we worked on the kitchen cabinets

thanks for looking

Dave

APG

How is the main floor being divided?  is there  bedroom on the main floor?  

Thanks Dave!

dmlsr

The main floor has the kitchen, bathroom , dinning room and living room. The couch is a sleeper.

One loft will have two beds and the other will have a bed and a set of bunks

Thanks for looking
Dave  

APG

Are you going to insulate the main floor joists?  

dmlsr

under the camp it self ,Yes but not til next summer

thanks for looking

Dave

glenn-k

Place is looking great - lots of progress.  Did you use a steep stair, Dave?

dmlsr

glenn-k

I like the steep stair - used it in my RV garage.  Got me to where I wanted to be without hitting my head. :)

Sassy

dmlsr

My son Eric and I went up today . We worked on installing 30 year old  kitchen cabinets

thanks for looking

Dave

APG

When would strapping be used behind Board N' Batton siding?  Or any siding?

Thanks

glenn-k

For spacing for a rain screen wall could be one reason - or another way to get a fastening area in a wall in the center besides cutting blocking , but it would be necessary to add at  top and bottom if you did the middle to keep  things level.  Board and batten over felt drains well on it's own but reverse board and batten would drain better.

dmlsr

I worked in the kitchen and Al worked in the bath room this weekend . Will post pic's later .

Thanks
Dave

dmlsr

here are a couple of pic's of the bathroom

thanks for looking

Dave