Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa_Smurf

May I ask what you have invested in dollars and hours?
Also, do you have a picture of your floorplan?

I like the two lofts with a bridge, and overall a beautiful job! Great work.

dmlsr

im not sure where we are at on the cost right now. we hope to end up under 25,000.00. As far as hours. 
Most of the work was done by only 2 of us, a few hours on Sunday and a few on Monday. No floor plan. we went of the seat of our pants.
Sorry I am not much help
This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

csiebert

I got just one word to say.  Totally Awesome.

ScottA

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

dmlsr

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

dmlsr

no , we got a lot of snow here and took off a little time. we had a friend go there today with his bobcat to remove some snow so we could get in.

Thank you for looking
Dave

daybreakhuntin

I love the look of your cabin with the 1 x12 board and batten and green metal roof.  What would you do differnt if anything? I had seen in a previous post you would change the walls from 10-12 ft,  anything else?

dmlsr

nothing really . We have been very happy with the layout. The 12 foot walls would have been nicer but even that is not really a big deal

Thank you for looking
Dave

Chuckca

Please, post some pics when you have a chance.  Love looking at your images - they're always helpful and informative. [cool]

Thanks
Chuck

dmlsr

Well i had plans to work in the bathroom today but we got more snow and the road is really bad so it looks like next weekend.

Thank you for looking
Dave

glenn kangiser

We'll be looking forward to the pix from your next trip, Dave.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

natpilot

Hello - This is my first post.  I've enjoyed watching and learning about the progress of your cabin.  It looks like the size and about 80% of the  layout is exactly what I have in mind for a cabin I would like to build this Spring/Summer.

I'm getting all of my ducks in a row before I take the plunge.  I think it was posted earlier about what plans you used.  Is there anything specific you can provide, or a resource that I can buy the plans from?  This would be very helpful for necessary Permits, materials lists, etc.

I was happy to see you included your family, as I will include my wife, and 2 boys who are both under the age of 5, as well as other family members.  I can't pass up cheap labor!

Thank you, Nathan

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum, Nathan.

Here's Johns 20 wide one story plans.  http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/46.html

It comes in 1 1/2 and 2 story flavors also.

dmlsr

Nathan , the plans i used where in my head. My dad was a builder and i grow up seeing him work and helping him from time to time.
Check out the link that glen gave you. There are some wonderful plans . Im sure you will be able to find something that you like. If you have anymore ???? just ask

Thank you for looking
Dave

glenn kangiser

These plans can pretty much be modified for any floor plan you desire.

Dave's (dmlsr) cabin is one of the favorites here and well deserved also.

natpilot

OK I finally did it - I ordered plan and am in the process of getting final version of floorplan complete so I can start building my own cabin.  Watching this cabin being built was just what I needed to see to get motivated!

Dave, I've got a few questions:
1. Did you set your posts in the sono-tubes, or are the posts attached to the concrete with a bracket?
2. On the first page of this post, the pics showing you getting the frame laid out, it looks like you got the corner posts secured to the frame.  Then did you cut the other posts to put in the other tube locations after everything was squared up?  Make sense - it's difficult to describe!
3. In an earlier post about anchoring the beams to the piers, you said you notched the piers ' two one way and one the other way'. I apologize for being dense, but can you please elaborate a little more for me?

Thank you, Nathan

apl.1984

1. the post are just sitting on the tubes eventuly we will attach them with a bracket but were in no rush
2. the corners we just bolted through, and the middle ones we cut a 2inch notch out and then bolted  and some we just sat the frame on and toenailed
i think that should help if not maby uncle dave can help (dmlsr) thanks                                      alex
this is for you pepere

dmlsr

Well we had good weather this weekend to get a little something done.
We started on the roof for the  front porch. I burned out my cordless drill part way and had to
get one from a friend . We lost a couple of hours there.We did not get as much as we wanted done but it
was a good weekend .

Thank you for looking
Dave

John Raabe

Nice to see your progress. Thanks for posting. Very handsome work with a great rustic character.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Great example of someone woh understands building, making their own hardware that is more than sufficient and putting it to use, like the days when house building was overseen and built by the master craftsman.

I'm speaking of the days before the building inspector with a book and school learning, and full knowledge of which corporation he should direct your purchases to.  Not that I have a problem with the ones who want to buy from Mr. Simpson.  Just that  I feel an owner builder with the necessary skills and knowledge shoud be able to save money by making his own stuff. 

Actually the code would allow the making of things better than what is required, but the inspector knows then that he can require you to go to his old college buddies testing laboratory to prove it.  Very few have common sense.

dmlsr

Well we go about 4 hours in today. The black flys are out and s*ck.

Thank you for looking
Dave

glenn kangiser

Really looking good, Dave and family.

dmlsr

Lots of rain this weekend but we still got the rest of the wood on the roof and tar paper down .

Here's is a pic of Al on the roof

Thank you for looking
Dave