Tractor recommendations

Started by grover, May 05, 2013, 08:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grover

Not sure if the funds are going to be there but I can wish can't I?  We had a friend help clear a cabin spot and it was amazing what he could do in a day of work!  His was a John Deere and I think about 50 hp.  It had a thing on the front end that I think is called a grappler.  Basically metal fingers that open and close.  He was able to grab some pretty decent sized logs and such and move them to a common area where we can burn or cut for firewood.   

Do you guys have a tractor you use around your property?  What do you have, how big, what attachments, and are you satisfied with it?  We would probably use it for spreading gravel, moving dirt, bush hogging, etc. 

I see some pretty nice looking 4wd tractors in the 30-40 hp range for 15-20k.

Thanks

poppy

You'll get as many opinions as there are folks registered here, but the answer is, it depends.

The quick answer is get a loader tractor with 3 point hitch and at least power steering if not 4wd.

Davegmc

I made 2 mistakes. Didn't get a 4 wheel drive and bought a grey-market (Yanmar). Please don't make those mistakes! I love my little Yanmar but smaller 2 wheel drive tractors are very limited in what they can do and the tractor establishment will treat you like a leper when you have a grey-market tractor.

itpdk9

I bought a Kubota b3200 FEL/BH and it has been invaluable in my cabin building adventure.  From drilling holes, grading, french drains, culverts, moving materials, dirt, trees, brush, etc.  I was just on it for 2 hours today and I could not imagine life without it.  I know that the BH is expensive and everyone says you can just rent one, but when you have one you will realize you use it all the time. hope this helps, good luck.

OlJarhead

Mahindra 5010 with FEL (Front End Loader) for $19,900 (can't beat that!) -- it's 50hp and 4wd

Have a 60" brush hog, 72" box blade and a boom. Also picked up a set of old disks that seem to work well enough for what I need them for.

Love the Mahindra and the price :D

grover

Quote from: Davegmc on May 06, 2013, 01:09:17 PM
I made 2 mistakes. Didn't get a 4 wheel drive and bought a grey-market (Yanmar). Please don't make those mistakes! I love my little Yanmar but smaller 2 wheel drive tractors are very limited in what they can do and the tractor establishment will treat you like a leper when you have a grey-market tractor.

By grey market do you mean off brand?  I thought Yanmar was a pretty popular tractor.  John Deere, New Holland, and Kubota are the big players I've see around here.  I've seen a few Mahindras on Craigslist.

Are all the attachments universal as far as fit or are they brand specific?

OlJarhead

Yanmar makes John Deere (just most don't realize that)....

If any tractor is 'made in America' any longer I'm not aware of it though I heard recently that Mahindra is claiming that (didn't hear them say it though)...I know the FEL for my Mahindra was made in the USA though :)

John Deere's were too spendy for less power and not actually 'made in America' any longer so after over a year of research I went with the NUMBER ONE selling tractor in the world (your read that right):  Mahindra.

Rob_O

Quote from: grover on May 06, 2013, 04:43:20 PM
By grey market do you mean off brand? 

Grey market vehicles were never officially imported by the manufacturer and parts availability can be problematic
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Rob_O

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 06, 2013, 05:04:26 PM
Yanmar makes John Deere (just most don't realize that)....

At one time Yanmar made all of the small Deere tractors, now they supply engines to Deere and are tied in with Cub Cadet for complete tractors
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

itpdk9

I really wanted a green tractor, but the comparable tractor in orange was 2500 dollars less, so I went with the orange.  I am very very happy with mine.  I think a tractor is definitely something that is needed, at least in my application.

Tome

You have some good responses so far.  Here are my thoughts:

Cabs keep you out of the weather and make the workday seem shorter
Four wheel drive adds about 10 hp to the tractor size
Front end loaders are a must
Remote hydraulics give you more options on the back
Hydrostatic transmission works better with a loader than a manual
Ag tractors seem to be built more durable
Consider implement options: rotary cutters, augers eyc
A good used tractor works too. Do you homework and do not pay too much for it.
Every tractor I have bought has held its value

I live in a farming community and have found Service readily available for my John Deere.

Good luck,
Tom

OlJarhead

I find my geared 5010 is great with the FEL.  I've seen a lot of folks suggest Hydro is better for FEL work but then when you want to run something like a bailer it beats the hydro off the rig.

grover

Quote from: Tome on May 07, 2013, 09:00:18 PM
You have some good responses so far.  Here are my thoughts:

Cabs keep you out of the weather and make the workday seem shorter
Four wheel drive adds about 10 hp to the tractor size
Front end loaders are a must
Remote hydraulics give you more options on the back
Hydrostatic transmission works better with a loader than a manual
Ag tractors seem to be built more durable
Consider implement options: rotary cutters, augers eyc
A good used tractor works too. Do you homework and do not pay too much for it.
Every tractor I have bought has held its value

I live in a farming community and have found Service readily available for my John Deere.

Good luck,
Tom

What do you mean it adds 10hp to the tracor size.  Does that mean if I thought I wanted a 40hp then I need to look for a 50 hp?

OlJarhead

No he means a 40hp 4wd is like having a 50hp 2wd :)

grover

Thanks Jarhead, that makes sense.  I'm not really sure what HP I should be looking for and I don't really know a lot about tractors.  I do want to go used if possible so I think I need to do some more research before buying.  I also have someone in mind I could take with me if I find something I'm interested in.   

OlJarhead

Quote from: grover on May 08, 2013, 08:00:14 PM
Thanks Jarhead, that makes sense.  I'm not really sure what HP I should be looking for and I don't really know a lot about tractors.  I do want to go used if possible so I think I need to do some more research before buying.  I also have someone in mind I could take with me if I find something I'm interested in.

Trouble with used -- and the reason we didn't go that route -- is that they aren't much cheaper.  Tractors are at a premium and a 20 year old tractor typically sells for the price it was 20 years ago....

So, I was looking at the 30-35hp range (glad I didn't do that!) and saw many NH's that were used but THE SAME price as new!!!  So I looked and looked and finally concluded that if I could afford new I wasn't losing.  Sure there are deals to be found if one spends a lot of time looking and is ready with cash in hand to pounce but we didn't want to wait and could get more with the low interest rates we were seeing (some were 0% over 60 months!!!)....in the end I had been looking at a 35hp Mahindra (3 diff dealers) that was $18,900 but went with TWICE the tractor in the 50hp 5010 for $19,900.

When seeing the little 35hp tractor next to the utility 5010 I knew I didn't want the little one (made that mistake with an ATV once).....

Now when I want to drag 2000lbs of tree out of the woods I don't bat an eye...nor do I when I want to lift the lumber from a 1200bs log with the tractor ;)  Plow snow?  No problem!  Brush hog?  Easy peasy...pull your house down the block?  Yup, it will do that :D

Not saying everyone needs a big 50horse machine but I'm sure glad we have one :D

Carla_M

FWIW ---   My ex- always said that a 4wd tractor could get by with less HP than a 2wd tractor for the same job because it could get the power to the ground better.  ??? I dunno, I'm just regurgitating what he swore by.  And as a side note IF a front end loader was in the picture then 4wd was a must as the rear gets too light for traction on a 2wd with a full bucket. I think he said the HP needed was dependent on the width of the inplements being pulled.
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

phalynx

I have a Deere 4120 with a FEL and 485 backhoe (Deere Powertech motor).  It will do anything I ask it to.  It is 4wd (must have with a FEL).  Power reverser (really want to have when loading).  Great tractor.  I had a Kubota L3010 before and it was fine.  It was not much compared to the Deere though.  My neighbor has the Deere 3320 and loves it (yanmar motor).  It has the same backhoe as mine and can do amazing amounts of work.  Mahindra makes a good tractor.  They will lift a lot of weight with their FELs but at about 1/2 the speed of Deere and Kubota.  Keep that in mind.  Buy a big brand and you will be happy.  Buy a grey market and you will get your work done.  It may just take a little longer and may require more effort.

waggin

Being relatively new to tractors, I can't offer long-term experience and the wisdom that comes with it, but I'll share a few thoughts.

Lurk at www.tractorbynet.com .
Figure out what you think your needs/uses are and will be.
Rent a tractor with some or all of the implements you think you'll want/need.
After using one, you'll have an idea of what that size can and can't do.
With that experience, re-evaluate how you might use a tractor of your own.
Research, research, research!
For a lot of things, bigger is better...but not all!
Find out which brands are close to you and get recommendations as to who is a good dealer.
Factor in whether or not you have a truck/trailer combo that is capable of hauling it to the dealer for service.  If you don't, and you're not going to be doing everything yourself, then realize that you'll be charged for travel time for service at your property.
As someone else said, many people will recommend renting a backhoe vs. buying, but you may find that you foresee lots of random projects/maintenance that will pop up periodically and can't be consolidated into one short term rental period.  I splurged for a backhoe.  Yes, it hurt!
Personally, I wouldn't even consider a 2wd.  4wd is a must on my property due to wet, uneven, hilly ground.
Your property will dictate your needs to a large degree.  One size fits all advice doesn't always fit.  For example, the Kubota L3200 I bought is the largest machine I'd want for my uses due to lots of tight areas.  Too big of a machine would make access difficult in some areas.  Are there times when more power and more weight would be useful?  Sure, but I feel I chose the right size for my overall usage.
Box scrapers are amazingly useful.
With more time, I could probably think of all sorts of stuff, but that's it for now.  Good luck!

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

Huge29

I grew up on a small farm and we had a little 50 HP Deere 2WD, you can get yourself unstuck with the bucket out of just about anything.  It worked pretty well.  I just financed a Bobcat CT235 for a customer, they just started making the farm style compacts in 2008, I think from speaking with the local dealer about them.  I believe it is a 4WD, but not sure.  They sell for about $20k new and this one used was only $8k w/o attachments wholesale-what you would pay from an individual.  I thought that was a pretty reasonable price for what you get.  They seem to be pretty solid; I would guess that they are mainly subcontracted or licensed through another manufacturer, but that is just a guess.  That may be another brand to consider. 

Windpower

I bought a used (slightly at 103 hours) diesel  (30 HP) JD 855 4wd hydrostatic drive with FEL

A nice feature is the FEL can be removed easily and quickly (about 5 minutes)

It is a compact tractor that runs a 6 foot rototiller and a 5 foot brush hog just fine

The compact size is very helpful for getting into tight places -- we have been using the heck out of it unloading the truck --really saves my back 

Highly recommended

I find it is my tractor of choice over my 3400 Ford with FEL because it is so much easier to use and can do virtually everything the Ford can

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

RIjake

Hey Grover.  NO ONE can answer the question of what kind of tractor you need but you.

-The first thing you need to do is be honest with yourself and decide what you need the tractor for.  Will you be pulling stumps and rocks?  Landscaping around the house?  Tilling fields? Clearing snow?  mowing grass? maintaining road?  Answer that question first an that will help me narrow down the machine you need, construction type backhoe loader or farm tractor.  There IS a difference.

Answer that question and we can move on to question 2....

grover

Not sure if I really NEED one but I WANT one.  I would use it to pull fallen trees out of the woods or use the bucket to transport the wood to the cabin.  It would be used to level and maintain the gravel road, bush hogging.  Or I could use the money to buy an extra 5 acres next to me.  Oops, then I would really need a tractor d*

suburbancowboy

Buy the land next to you. :)  Rent a tractor as needed. ;)  Best of both worlds.

RIjake

Quote from: grover on May 29, 2013, 08:16:26 PM
Not sure if I really NEED one but I WANT one.  I would use it to pull fallen trees out of the woods or use the bucket to transport the wood to the cabin.  It would be used to level and maintain the gravel road, bush hogging.  Or I could use the money to buy an extra 5 acres next to me.  Oops, then I would really need a tractor d*

Yup, sounds like a farm type tractor is what you need.  I would have suggested a construction loader/backhoe if you were going to be doing any digging.  IMHO farm tractors with backhoes are not worth the time or cost but it sounds like a TPH with various attachments is what you need.  In that case 4WD would be a good idea.  I'd be looking in the 40HP class or higher.