20x30 1 1/2 advice, help.

Started by Rys, March 04, 2018, 05:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rys

I have been reading posts on here or some time. Now we're ready to bite the bullet. Reading everyone's posts has been very encouraging! Applied for our septic permit last Friday.
I'm wanting to know if any one has any advice: things you would have done differently, issues with size,just your two cents worth.
Currently there are three in our household. Son is fifteen going on forty. I'm imagining he may want to tackle his own build when the time comes. Right now he's able bodied free labor. 
Some info on our location and build. We live in middle TN. Own 70+ acres with no improvements. Are currently working on our driveway and electrical easement.
We are going to extend our build to forty feet and have a full basement. The house will be set back into a hillside.
Really looking foward to everyone's advice or input!

jsahara24

Quote from: Rys on March 04, 2018, 05:16:29 PM
The house will be set back into a hillside.
Really looking foward to everyone's advice or input!

On the above, definitely make sure you have good drainage away and around your cabin.  It sounds like a great plan, look forward to your progress.

Don_P

First advice, don't build 1-1/2 stories, go 2, avoid the structural issues and get some windows in the sidewalls up there. Do you have a rough sketch?

Rys

Hi Don! I have a very rough sketch on paper. Never did master Sketch Up.  ???
We were going with the half story to keep things on a smaller scale. It will be my husband and I building with our son.  Figure I will only use the loft area as my bedroom for a few years. As we get older the main floor will be my friend.   ;D 
It will only be a partial loft with dormers. I love the idea of a very open living room/kitchen with a cathedral ceiling. Was going to talk to some truss people next week to go over my options. Tentatively I was looking at raised heel parallel chord trusses with a ridge beam suspended between the in the loft area for the dormers. I'm pretty sure you're the one that suggested that possibility?
What structural issues should I be concerned with? Would you prefer I email you?

NathanS

Rys - framing and finishing a 1.5 story will be more challenging than a 2 story. If insulation is a concern, achieving the same energy efficiency probably makes the total assembly cost more.

Building into the hillside, does that mean walkout basement and ground level entrance for both floors? That is really nice design wise, if we had the right land I would have loved to build a house that way.

My advice is to keep everything as simple as possible - give yourself every chance to succeed. Ask serious questions about being on a 12-12 pitch 20-30 feet in the air for two months. We were initially planning on 12-12, then as we got closer 9-12, then when we were lifting the first two rafters into place I could stomach 7-12. If something is giving you a bad feeling address it before you are building it.

Things I would do differently in retrospect:

1) Don't hand nail everything, get a nail gun.
2) Buy scaffolding in the beginning, enough for the entire length of the house. It probably would have made the roof go twice as fast.
3) Don't buy Andersen windows, they suck

Building a house is an awesome experience, have fun. Also... it is just a house, sometimes I think we forget that it is not the source of our happiness.

Don_P

Good advice Nathan. I do agree. 8/12 is about maximum walkable slope and you aren't stopping on that pitch well at all. Beyond that and it is an expedition to get supplies up there.
What you describe would work Rys, Quite do-able but think through the assembly "script" well. Once you commit, well, you're committed.
I prefer conversation here as much as possible, more voices/comments and more going to school on yours. If you had just emailed me you wouldn't have gotten Nathan and jsahara's comments. Definitely, if you are not on the brow of the hill divert anything that is coming down at you. I do think the crown of a hill is best left for outdoor space and the house is better just over the edge. As you travel downslope watch what is flowing down at you. Post your sketches. rough is fine. One way to get familiar with sketchup is to play with a sketch that is already begun, we can get you started there. We did it with paper and pencils just fine long before computers, so whatever conveys the plan is what matters.

Rys

The cabin will be nestled into the bottom of the slope. We are planning on at least one end being walk out with a good deal of the front above grade. Will have to see what surprises the ground holds for us.
My husband wasn't to keen on the 12/12 pitch. Would still like something pretty steep for asthetics but will modify. Don't want hubby plummeting off the roof!
We have restored the old farmhouse we live in but have never tackled anything as complex as a build from the ground up!
Our plan is to have the footers, floor and block work for the basement subbed out. We will do the framing then have a metal roof put on by pros. Friends will help with plumbing and electrical.
Hope to be able to post my chicken scratch plan by the end of the week. 

Jerryzjhonson

Quote from: NathanS on March 05, 2018, 10:05:20 AM

1) Don't hand nail everything, get a nail gun.

Can't agree more. In addition, I would like to say that even if you are using a nail gun get proper protection for your fingers like Hand Gloves.

Happy Nailing.

Jerry Jhonson
Toolzfinder.com