Tiny House pics

Started by John Raabe, May 17, 2005, 04:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Here is an interesting website of small house photos:

http://www.tinyhouses.net/directory.html

Many inspirational concepts here that could be adapted to your plans.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Greenbank

That is certainly charming. Amazing what a nice chimney can do as a visual anchor.
A fool and his money are soon elected.

glenn kangiser

Living in the gold country I keep threatening to go out and take photos of some of the cool old houses and buildings around here, but never quite get to that point. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Epiphany

Love the Vlada House!  But then I'm just an old hippie.

John Raabe

Yea, that is a great little cottage of whimsy.

It has the same window and door hoods I have a detail for in the Enchilada kit (and others). Then somebody got carried away with the scroll saw  ;D

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Epiphany

Speaking of tiny houses, ran across a new show on HGTV called "Offbeat America" and this link -

www.smallesthouse.org

worth taking a look at - 409 square feet - just a little larger than the Builder's Cottage.

David - just might be what you're looking for, and built in California.

jraabe

The living room doesn't work (IMHO) ;). Why designers chop up small spaces so much amazes me. Why not do the kitchen, living, dining in a more open feeling small "great room"? This is not a private space like the bedroom or bathroom.

Epiphany

I was thinking as I did the virtual walkthru of the house that even though the Builder's Cottage has fewer square feet, I think it might be more useable.

DavidLeBlanc

Cute little house - but too little! If you read the articles, it turns out that he uses a fold up cot for the bedroom so that he can mostly use it as a den. If I was going to be that constrained, I'd do a Murphy bed type arrangement (for the younger among us, a Murphy bed is one that folds down out of (usually) the closet).

I'm not wild about dining room/living room combinations, but I really am going to insist on an enclosed kitchen for my dream cottage. Whether it's cooking smells  eventually permeating everything or just not wanting a "house beautiful" kitchen all the time if it's open plan, I just don't like open kitchens.

BTW, there are two sqare footages mentioned for the tiny house: 409 sq. ft, as mentioned by Epiphany, and 514 sq. ft. as mentioned in one of the articles. 105 sq. ft. is a lot in a house this size!

Epiphany

It burned down and was rebuilt a few years ago, perhaps they added some square footage.  One option is to have an "open" kitchen with a closeable wall.  Open if you feel cramped while cooking, and you can close it off at will.

I have to admit I've been contemplating moving into a 462 square foot loft downtown, and having some anxiety about where to put "stuff".  Lots of book shelves, so no problem there, but one small closet and zero storage in the bathroom or bedroom.  The other voice in my head has been reminding me that the Builder's Cottage is only 336 square feet (but it's designed much better).   ;)

DavidLeBlanc

I agree about the general layout though. Ross Chapin's "Backyard Cottage" at 350 sq. ft. is more livable than this, albeit with an open kitchen! ;)
http://www.rosschapin.com/Plans/Cottage/Backyard/backyard.html

I like this layout generally, but would put a wall between the kitcen cabinets that exist and the rest of the living room. It would stop short of the dining alcove and provide a passage way there and at the other end. You end up with a galley kitchen with 2x the storage and work space, and the dining alcove ends up being a connection between the l/r and the kitchen. Someone can sit at the dining table and chat with the cook and a couple can sit at the dinging table and not be left out of any socializing going on in the l/r. At the same time, any kitchen mess isn't on parade... ;)

Epiphany

You could even do 3/4 of a wall with 12" cabinets, planter along the top - something like that.

Two questions - is the small closet in the bath large enough, and would you be happy with a dorm-size refrigerator?

DavidLeBlanc

Yes, I've thought of both the option of a 3/4 wall and the issue of fridge size. I was thinking that towards the front door end of this new wall, one could make it full height and put in a 30" full height standard fridge.

I actually want to move the b/r around to the end of the house and the area that's now the b/r would be a very wide hallway sort of idea with book cases and a good desk. The bath would get longer and have a door off the "den" and also into the bedroom at the end. Larger closet in the b/r too.

Epiphany

Sounds like you've done a lot of thinking about your needs, and good planning.

At this point, I'm planning to build the Builder's Cottage, adding 2-3 feet to the length.  Two feet will go in the bath/kitchen half with room for a combo European-style washer/dryer under the vanity, with the extra two feet being used as storage space in the kitchen.  There will be a 4' armoire for a closet where it says "storage" with an exterior grade door being built in at the beginning, and the armoire placed in front of it.  This is the door to the future bedroom.  Floor to ceiling shelves will replace the desk area with about 1' added to the length.  A small fold down desk will be included in the shelving unit.  5' sliding glass doors in the kitchen and that's pretty much it.

Future plans include adding a bedroom next to the bathroom and a dining / den off the kitchen, framing the 5' opening and using the sliding glass doors on a future deck.  

My builder (brother-in-law) has looked at John's plans and given the thumb's up.   ;D

Epiphany

Yes.  If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll put my changes on there.  I am sooooo NOT computer savvy.

DavidLeBlanc

To post a pic on the web, it has to first be on the web. A pic on the web has a URL like http://www.mysite.com/mypic.jpg (or .png or .gif or .bmp). There are sites that allow you to post pics, like Imagestation, but either they're very hard to link pictures from or one has to go and register to look at the pics. All too often, the registration atttracts spam and so many people won't bother looking if they have to register.

Once it's got an address like that, all you have to do is paste it between image tags and it's done!

Image tags are the ones that get pasted here when you click on the 4th button from the left in the second row above the text editing window.

DavidLeBlanc

I think it would be kind of cool to convert the porch into a window seat/planter arrangement. It would make a great place to sleep if you didn't want to, or couldn't, climb the ladder to the sleeping loft. Also, a great place for hanging out. :)

I would make it deeper and wider than this pic to make room for wide ledges for plants and I'd make the "couch" lower and a bit wider too. Also put a 3-5 degree front to back lope in the couch seat. Makes for more comfortable seating and less chance of rolling out of bed if you're sleeping there. I have a couch like that - amazingly comfortable to sleep on.

Lots of other places for a porch and the great outdoors! :)

peg_688

Jee Dave in english  :( No idea what the tags / 4th button from what line ??? ??? from the left ??? it's a meer example of my un "tecie" ness  ;)  Keep trying aways ready to learn just a bit slow sometimes , HTBH ;)PEG

Amanda_931

Tags are coming in slowly, right now.  But it will be the one that  (at least in Windows/Internet Explorer) when you hover your mouse pointer over it it says "insert images"

The same way the hovering over this smiley in the "Add YABBC tags"line when you are composing a message says "shocked"   :o

For things like insert pictures bold, italics, etc., it may be easier to write what you want to tag, or copy and paste the URL for a picture or drawing, then select it and then add the tag.

BTW if you have a picture on your website and don't want to send people to the whole page, right-click on the picture, click on properties, then copy the URL (you don't want to do this by hand, usually) and then paste either inside the tags, or put the tags after you've pasted.

Preview is always nice after that.  Although if you screw it up totally you can always modify it.  Some of us do that a lot.   :-[

peg_688

Sorry Amanda still mostly Greek or mabye Herbrew to me  ??? HTBH  ;)PEG

jraabe

Peg:

If you go to the top box at the head of this forum page there is (on the right side) a link that says "Click HERE for a quick introduction to the using the forum".

That one page overview was written for people who have convinced themselves that they can't understand computers.  ;)

It is necessary to take a deep breath and expect to devote 5 minutes reading, understanding and testing what you find there. You also have to suspend the above belief for that same period of time.  ;D

Here is a picture that came off my computer:

PS - Most of the people watching this wave come in were swept out to sea. In a later pic these folks are laughing and running thinking they might only get sprayed. A tragic miscalculation.

Epiphany

You know, David, I think that's an excellent suggestion about the window seat.  I could be happy with a large covered patio off the kitchen.

Okay - here goes.  Let's see if I can attach a pdf...

This is a version of the Builder's Cottage that I enlarged to 18 x 28 so I could add a soaking tub and separate shower, and stack w/d in the bath.

Here goes ....[img] [img]

Oops - didn't work.  I'll try again.

jraabe

Try using the world icon above, it will give you this // and you paste the URL in between the brackets.

Your pdf must be up on the internet and you open the file in your browser and copy the URL into the above code.

The free image hosting services noted in the introduction do not allow PDF files to be hosted. I couldn't find a free service like TinyPic that would.

Anyone know of a service?

PS —You can also just upload the images in the PDF.

DavidLeBlanc

Most people's internet service comes with a small amount (typically 10 mb) of disk space that they can use to post pics and documents and such on the web.

Here's an example from my "website":

Contact your internet service provider for details.