Cute small house plan

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, September 21, 2007, 04:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

Thought some of y'all here might like this little house:
http://www.sheldondesigns.com/yrsmho/fhb/surfside2.htm

It has a little more in the way of bedrooms, although the living spaces are pretty tight.  I like the porches, though.

PA-Builder

With all of the free advice and assistance that John, and Glenn, et al, offer on this site,  isn't it a little ignorant to advertise a competitor's design ! ! !

MountainDon

Well one of the nice things about John's plans is that he not only allows but he promotes modification of his plans. His plans expressly permit changes, whereas as some other plans expressly prohibit changes.

That said, I doubt there's anyone here who has not looked at other plans. Many here I would venture have found things that appealed to them in other plans and worked them into one of John's. All 'round I think John's plans offer exceptional value.

JMO
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

John's pretty free with this part of the forum -- Pretty well only limits the Plans Support to his plans only, but we do try to work his plans into the  works.

What I like to do is look at that plan for $227 +$40 per additional set so - say around $500 to $700 for enough for permits and working  and then look at Johns plans for a more reasonable price - make the copies you need at no charge -  and see how I could build that house using modifications of John's  plans.

Many  houses are covered by John's basic designs then you can add gingerbread to make something as good as or in my opinion better than that. :)

Even with all the Google plan adds on this site, John's value pricing, and quality keeps the ones interested in his style and ease of building coming back here.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Thanks guys for those unsolicited testimonials! :D. (I'll get that check in the mail today ;).)

There are lots of good small house plans from Sheldon and others. Expect that almost any plan you buy you will modify. Add that cost to the mix as some jurisdictions will require engineering even if you can't improve the design by room layout changes or window modifications. And, as mentioned, is that modification process even allowed?

My goal with with this site and my stock home plans is to democratize the design process. I am proud when a member of this site can come up with a modification that takes one of my plans and changes it to fit their needs, their site and their budget.

Example: Demian's 20x24 2-story

None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

What a guy.  
QuoteI'll get that check in the mail today

I'm gonna go start shopping. :)

Actually many times Sassy and I have looked at overpriced plans with gingerbread - Katrina cottages etc, and said that it was just like one of your plans with different arrangements and gingerbread added to it.  

Added to that, the extreme flexibility with most interior designs having non-bearing walls allows nearly any design you can think of to be able to be done.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, the whole reason I posted it in the first place was because i thought it was cute and that one of the house plans you provide could be modified to look something like that and yet have more open living space.  I honestly wasn't promoting the competition, but it's just like the deal with the Katrina cottages and so forth, you can glean ideas from all over the place.  

Homegrown Tomatoes

And PA builder, I apologize for my ignorance. :-[

StinkerBell

I like gingerbread, especially with a nice cup of coffee. Sure glad I can add somethin to the thread.... ;)

MountainDon

Do you do Gingerbread Houses?  :-? It's getting to be close to that tradition time.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

Why yes, and no.  Just depends.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the insightful comments, Stink.  I wasn't aware you were into Depends. :-?