Google Sketchup Q and A

Started by MountainDon, April 08, 2007, 06:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Here's the topic referred to under "Plans Support » Plans Support » Post Reply ( Re: Shed Dormer in 3D Home Arch )"  http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1149627796/0

Google's help is at   http://sketchup.google.com/tutorials.html

Thanks to BigMish for his offer of help.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

First Q BigMish. Can anyone take one of those images of yours and import it into Sketchup and play around with it?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jraabe

For now I can serve to upload any image files into the download section of countryplans.com. Since this is manual I won't always be on top of these tasks in a timely manner so it would be better to have an external automatic site for uploading sketchup models (I don't yet know how to use Warehouse but that might work.)

For now we can do this:

Send an email to john@countryplans.com and attach the image or model to the email. I will upload it and provide a download link that I will paste into the forum thread.

Be sure to provide a link to the thread and maybe have a POST LINK HERE in the thread which I can edit.

BigMish

Don, you sure can. I was planning to provide the model to the members when I had it more finalized but if you'd like a copy of it in it's preliminary form I'll send if of to John (as per his instructions) and he'll avail you all a copy. I'll send out a new copy every week or so as it progresses.

John, didn't totally follow you instructions: I emailed you a copy but don't understand "Be sure to provide a link to the thread and maybe have a POST LINK HERE in the thread which I can edit."

.M

jraabe

OK, Here is the download for Mish's cabin project to date. Right click and "save as" to your desktop or a sketchup folder (it is in version 5):

cabin_v1

This is a neat model.

First thing to do with this model after you have opened it in the free version of SketchUp 6 - get the orbit tool and rotate around. Use the wheel on the mouse to zoom in and out.

John

(That link stuff was just a reminder to tell me where the tread is in case it gets buried somewhere I don't know about.)

BigMish

Tip #1: you can also hold down your mouse wheel while moving the mouse to orbit (a real time saver). Holding Ctrl also does this if you don't have a mouse wheel. Turning the mouse wheel will zoom in and out and holding shift and moving the mouse will pan (also both good time savers)

.M

jraabe

How did you build this model Mish? Here are some starter questions I have:

• Did you start by making posts or framing members and then copying them onto a plane at specific intervals?
• Then grouping them and slapping new framing elements to build up a structure? (Just guessing here.)
• Or did you start with the outline of the full building and then add detail?
• How do you keep things to scale?
• You must have done this all in 3D. Version 6 allows you to start in plan mode as well. Have you tried that yet?

BigMish

QuoteHow did you build this model Mish? Here are some starter questions I have:

• Did you start by making posts or framing members and then copying them onto a plane at specific intervals?
• Then grouping them and slapping new framing elements to build up a structure? (Just guessing here.)
• Or did you start with the outline of the full building and then add detail?
I started with the crawl space (decided to use P&P after I got the estimates on excavation and pouring. I just followed the dimensions from your plans. Then the deck, etc. basically the order one would build in. When working in Sketch Up be sure to keep the "Layers" window open and BE CAREFUL: I don't know if it's a bug or a design but you can't move objects from layer to layer even with cut and paste. So if you build your whole roof in the "walls" layer, it either stays in that layer or you re build the roof. I think layer management in general is the biggest problem with the program.

• How do you keep things to scale?
Three techniques:
1.      when you first place an object if you type the desired dimensions, the object will take those dimensions (or after you do an edit)
2.      Measuring dimensions (with the Tape Measure Tool) and altering
3.      I don't know the name of the tool but there is one in the main tool bar where if you click on two corners of an object it will display the distance between those corners Then when you edit the object you get a real time display of the object dimension (very useful).

• You must have done this all in 3D. Version 6 allows you to start in plan mode as well. Have you tried that yet?
Yes, I did, no I haven't played with it.

MarkAndDebbie

"When working in Sketch Up be sure to keep the "Layers" window open and BE CAREFUL: I don't know if it's a bug or a design but you can't move objects from layer to layer even with cut and paste. So if you build your whole roof in the "walls" layer, it either stays in that layer or you re build the roof. I think layer management in general is the biggest problem with the program."

I wonder if it is a v6 issue. I'm using 5.something and I can move things (components) between layers. Are you making components? Components have a layer property.

I've made a set of dementional lumber (2x4x8, 2x6x10, etc) Then I edit just one instance and comment how much I cut off. I figure it will give me sort of a rough cut list / materials list when I'm done.

ergodesk

I use Sketchup V6 Pro, and not sure about the FREE Version, but if you highlight any component or object then click on Enity Info in the Window Pull Down you can change the Layer that the Component is on.  

www.ergodesk.blogspot.com