PDF articles on CountryPlans. Better??

Started by jraabe, March 22, 2007, 01:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jraabe

Give me your opinion of this new link page.

http://www.countryplans.com/InlinePDF.html

It is a new format for linking PDF manuals and plan details from this site and others.

Is it easy to read? Load slowly? Confusing?

Thanks, John

glenn-k

I haven't seen that one yet.  Took about 6-8 seconds to load on DSL.  All PDF reader windows functioned properly.  I didn't have any problem with it.   Read different pages in the windows.  Printed one window - worked fine.

MountainDon

Download speed was fine (basic DSL). I didn't time it but it seemed pretty good.

There is a "however". Maybe it's the way my computer/browser (Firefox) is configured but the linked page itself did not open as I expected. Clicking on the link, opened a new tab (expected) but only the text ...
"Free PDF Building Resource links:
Scroll down this list of PDF links.
You can elarge and scroll inside each window, and print or save to your own computer.
• Code information about building an attached porch:"

...appeared followed by an empty outlined box, more text, more boxes etc.  Then, virtually at the same time, 5
"opening xxxx.pdf file boxes.... what do you wnat to do with this file?    ....."
windows opened one on top of the other. Clicking the save on each one downloaded each file and opened them in Acrobat as they should.
I have done a bit of html writing but I'm not sure what was happening there, or why.  :(  

glenn-k

That's funny --- not really -I meant different than mine.  Mine opened a different tab then all pdf's opened in the same tab/window  one below the other as I scrolled down but with a complete pdf window and controls in each one and all on the same page - no other downloading or problem.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3

Adobe reader 7.0.9

Sassy was the same.

Sassy

I didn't have any problem opening the PDF - Adobe Reader opened right away & I was able to scroll through all the info  :) & I use Firefox, too.  

MountainDon

Well, I think this just goes to prove once again that I am just different.   :-/

I tried the link on Karen's computer and it operated, business as usual, a nice page opened up, displayed the PDF files each in its own box with the page. Very nice I must say. The individual pdf's could be magnified etc etc.

So I fired up my desktop/backup computer. After waiting eons for it's 900 MHz CPU for wake up I tried the link. It worked just as my laptop did.  :o  It must be my computer/browser settings, my paranoia showing.    :-[   Oops, there goes another black helicopter.....

So John, I would say all is well with your page.  I believe the fact that this page is to display the pdf files, and more than one of them, is what caused my problem. I prefer to have my browser ask me what to do with the pdf file; open to view, save as... , download later with a download manager, etc.    Where did you come across that method fpr displaying the opened fils on one web page?

southernsis

It worked well on my computer. Nice way to receive the information. I had no trouble bring it up or printing.

jraabe

OK, thanks for the input. I think most folks with DSL (unless you live on a mountain and your name starts with D.) will find it a better way to preview PDF resources. Dail up may be painful, however - for that reason I don't think I should do more than 4 or 5 on a page as each is loaded into the Reader.

I got this code tip from Bill Myers @ www.bmyers.com. I've subscribed to whatever he has been doing for years.

One of the things I'm learning now is how to produce short YouTube type movies. Maybe a tour of a set of house plans or demo of how to modify a template file.

glenn-k

You are turning into a real hacker, John. :)

MountainDon

Grumble, grumble. I may have to adjust the way I do things... maybe delegate a little more authority to Firefox,. That is a cool way of presenting the PDF pages.  I have to look into that.

jraabe

Here's the basic code if you are interested in trying it yourself:

<iframe width="720" height="500" scrolling="no" frameborder="1" src="http://www.countryplans.com/Downloads/porchdetail.PDF"></iframe>

In the above code, you'll want to modify these parameters to meet your needs:

width - pdf window width in pixels
height - pdf window height in pixels
scrolling - yes or no to allow auto scrolling of the pdf window
frameborder - any number from 0 to 9. Sets the site of the border around the pdf window
src - the url of the pdf file. This file can be located anywhere on the web - it does not need to be on your own web site.

Also.... I've been editing this tool a bit this morning. I've added a second page (and this can continue in 5 window pages). I've also added a LOAD button to open a full sized new window of each PDF (MountainDon - see if that helps)

http://www.countryplans.com/InlinePDF.html

MountainDon

I like the LOAD choice; can open to new window or tab. When I get a chance I'm going to investigate setting that up on a couple web pages I look after. Thanks