SunCube - a new take on PVs

Started by Dustin, May 20, 2006, 12:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin

Some folks in Australia just came out with a very efficient way to produce electricity from the sun, with a series of small triple junction solar panels (37% efficient) and fresnel lenses, all put together in a self tracking array.   It's called a SunCube.
A 330 watt array costs about $900 US. That's $2.70 a watt. Very cheap considering the average flat panel PVs are about $5.00 a watt. Lord knows what shipping would be like for these babies though. 33lbs a unit.
Because they are a solar tracking array (follows the sun as it moves in the sky), they produce much more power over time than a flat panel without a tracker. (and let me tell you, tracking panels are not cheap!)
You can buy multiples to create as large an array as you would like.  Another thing I like about them is, if some small part gets broken, say the lens or one of the little solar panels, you get a replacement and it's fixed. With a PV panel, if it's damaged, you have to throw the whole thing away. You could also "upgrade" the array with more efficient solar panels if they become available.
They also take up a lot less space.
Looks like they are shipping gear this month. I'm seriously considering purchasing some, as soon as my house is sold and I can free up some capital to start working on the new house.

http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/

Amanda_931

They just got their first shipment of triple junctiion solar cells.  Haven't gotten their own up on their roof yet.  so it may be a while (I've been on the yahoogroup for months).

Dustin

Yeah, that's what I get for reading the web site. But I did later get on the yahoo group and read all the messages. I hope it's something that happens. I would definitely like to buy some.

Amanda_931

Me too.

You can put your name on the web site to be contacted when they are ready to start shiping--no particular committment, but....

and I think we will get to do some of the final assembly ourselves.