Weather Station - Be your own weatherman

Started by glenn-k, December 25, 2005, 02:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Tired of weather reports like this one? :-/

Typical Crazy Weather Report

Turn off the TV- be your own weather person.

Set up your own weather station - know your own sites wind, rain and solar resources.  You can optionally hook this station to a computer and log your conditions or report to weather services on the net.

I set up my first one about 3 years ago - unfortunately the anenometer went out but this still seems to be the bargain complete weather station and they have improved it, so I bought another one.

Best price I have found on this -- http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10000551&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

Here is the base unit that collects all the wireless information and provides output to your computer if you so desire.

I made a counterweighted bracket then slid my wind sensor up the guy wire of my wind generator to get the wind strength at about 75' AGL.

I connected EMT conduit together with standard clamps then took a hold down strap and attached it to a screw so each 10 foot section of 1/2 inch conduit was fastened to the cable.

The sections were then pushed up the cable and another attached at the bottom and the process was repeated.

Here is the anenometer and direction indicator 10 feet below the generator which is at 85' AGL.

Amanda_931

Ahhh, yours is wired.  (Amanda I think you were looking at the wind machine, those are antennas on his receiver!)  I've been drooling over those for years.

What I've got here is a barometer separate from the indoor/outdoor humidity/temp job, all-manual rain gauge over by the clothesline.  I set the barometer to match Florence one day when I figured that a big high-pressure system had pretty well spread over the whole area.  Seems to work.

Down here close to the dry wash, wind indicators would do me no good at all, I very rarely hear the biggest of the wind bells, almost never the smallest.

But that will change when I move up the hill.

My weather report this morning said there was a 100% chance of rain today (true, it was raining then) the hourly one indicated that my zip code would get rain all day, although the radar and the "scientific weather discussion" said something close to "not hardly--might get a few drops" as soon as the big patch of rain moved east.

I've used weather underground for years, signed up for, but never posted to their picture gallery.   Their tropical weather page is pretty nice, and you can get the "scientific weather discussion" for your area--those vary wildly by who wrote them and what kind of a mood they were in.  

What we can't do with our home weather stations is look at the radar, let alone put it in motion.  My weather forecasts, including the local radar come out of Nashville, the "local conditions" are in the Shoals area of Alabama, and my favorite radar to put in motion is the one out of North-east Mississippi.

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/map.asp

glenn-k

You're right , Amanda.  Those are antennas.  Each sensor has a transmitter that sends data about every minute to the main module.  They increased the solar panel and I assume transmitter size on the new model wind sensor - it used to be the same as the rest.  It transmits to the underground control center from near the top of the wind tower on the hill just fine.  All transmitters are powered by their own individual solar panels with replaceable backup batteries.

Daddymem

Great...so I can swear at myself instead of being able to blame the stupid weatherman for our Cape Cod "don't like the weather, wait a minute" weather. :D

glenn-k

An unmentioned disadvantage--- but

You may find that you are more accurate-

glenn-k

In your case, Daddymem may I suggest some 60's technology --- the weather rock.

Courtesy this site - Port Townsend, WA
http://www.ptproperty.com/mccurdy_point.html

Daddymem

Our weather rocks are smaller and hang from a stick tripod and if it hangs sideways it is a hurricane...same idea though.