Problems with Searching

Started by Epiphany, April 08, 2005, 12:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epiphany

I wonder if I'm searching incorrectly.  I know I've read about certain subjects in the forum, but a search turns up nothing.  

Amanda_931

Test searches found me no Goanna and only two circular staircases.  

It may have to do with what is listed as the topic, or the first post in it.

Speaking of the former, we haven't heard from Jonsey in a while.

glenn kangiser

I think I found your problem.  I tried it and found goanna for today, so I went back and re-examined the search parameters - reset maximum days to 100 days and all the goannas showed up- but Jonesy wasn't with them. So I would say to reset the day filter to 100 or more days then all will show. ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

Good.

Now all we need to find is Jonsey.

John Raabe

I just changed the default time length for searching to 360 days. This should give better results. Here's the question I asked at the support forum for YABB (the free software this board uses).

"There may be a FAQ on this somewhere, but I want to extend the standard default search window from 7 days to something like 180 or 360 days. Most of my visitors don't look through all the settings, type in a several word seach string and then come up with no hits.  

How can I modify the defaults to give them a better batting score?"

I got the suggested solution (that Worked!) only ten minutes after I posted the question! Great software and great user support.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

I also found that the text above that says click here to search the entire site brings up a different window which doesn't work.  The spyglass with search in the toolbar above does work properly.

Thanks for the change, John.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

I used the "entire site including old forum."

Glad to know it doesn't work.

John Raabe

I've reworked the search pages and links both at the forum (above) and on the main site pages.

See if these work better and let me know if there are still problems.

Thanks, John
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Epiphany