Building is under way 20x32x 1 1/2 - R Walter

Started by glenn-k, February 02, 2006, 08:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Moved from old forum- gk
Posted by: rwalter       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 9:49am
Well my 20'x32' 1 and 1/2 story cabin is under way, we started in late May. As it sits now the foundation is in, I have installed french drains, insulated the foundation walls, and floor, installed a vapor barrier, poured a 4" thick concrete floor, installed sill sealer plus sill plates, and installed the rim joists and floor joists. Not all the work is reflected in the photo's. I'll be posting more photo's later.  

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/webworldcomp/album?.dir=5d35&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Justs wanted to say thanks for all the input that was given to me during the design stage and the reward right now is these photo's.

Thanks again everyone for all the input.
Posted by: glenn kangiser       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 9:56am
Looks like someone's been busy - and you got out the big toys too Grin  Great Job.  Keep us posted.
Posted by: Daddymem       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 1:24pm
Nice!  Thanks for sharing.  Daddymem love excavators.
Posted by: PEG688       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 2:36pm
It's alway a relief to get to the wood part. Dirt work is nasty and dirty  Sad ya got to do it , ya don't have to like it  Cry    Good looking helper ya got there Smiley  Let the fun begin Cheesy  HTBH WinkPEG
Posted by: DavidLeBlanc       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 3:50pm
Howdy PEG;

What does "HTBH" mean?
Posted by: glenn kangiser       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 4:38pm
Hi Peg.  HTHYH.  Glenn Grin
Posted by: PEG688       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 5:29pm
Dave / Meer I think Shocked  It means Happy To Be Here. Blue Angels USN !     Boss, Happy To Be Here Smiley  this is what I could have done better today.   Done each day in debrief.    I started this on WBF to lighten the load some want to bring .  WE as someone else stated are really lucky to be able to sit at a computer and share info .  Why do we make it so hard ??  Attitude , Attitude attitude , if your happy to be here you'll have a good attitude towards others .     You suggested I come over to share my knowledge and it took a few tries on my part as putering ain't my  specality .   Still have no idea how Jeff ( Bewolf) could cross over from WBF , ya you explained it but I can't do it . This forum seems to be more user friendly for tec stuff we'll see.   You'll be Meer at WBF I won't out ya   ;) HTBH

PEG
Posted by: PEG688       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 5:31pm
BTW Thanks Glenn SmileyHTBH  WinkPEG
Posted by: PEG688       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 5:41pm
Glenn How do I put my catchly like phrase at the bottom ?    It would read   "When in doubt , build it stout ,with something you know about !"    Sage advice from a old engineer I met.   Thanks in advance , HTBH WinkPEG
Posted by: Amanda_931       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 7:40pm
Click the "profile" button in the blue line above that starts with "home," scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you'll find it.

And when you're signed in, when you click the profile button it will be your profile that shows up.
Posted by: PEG688       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 8:27pm
Thanks Amanda  It must be limited to # of letters but it will work Smiley  We'll see HTBH WinkPEG
Posted by: glenn kangiser       Posted on: Jun 26th, 2005, 11:41pm
Sorry I couldn't get back to reply sooner, Peg - at least Amanda jumped in there to help.

I had to go up into the mountains to drag an old trailer out of an old Chinese mining camp on private property.  Roads were overgrown with trees and brush on the steep side of a mountain, but after I got up there, there were old dry stacked stone walls of a Gold Rush Era Chinese store.  Terraces where they gardened were spread throughout the trees and brush and a stone stairway made its way through the Willows and overgrowth down the hillside to the creek.  The store had been a two story as timber pockets were visible in the stone walls. Somehow they made all those various size and shape stones come out into near perfect square corners.  Pretty good shape for a 150 year old basement wall with none of our modern "miracle" materials.  I love the history of the 49er gold rush areas.

Thats my excuse. Grin
Posted by: PEG688       Posted on: Jun 27th, 2005, 8:37pm
And your sticking to it  WinkHTBH WinkPEG
Posted by: rwalter       Posted on: Aug 11th, 2005, 5:32am
Hello Everyone.

If any one is interested I have updated the photo's for the cabin I am building. I hope you like them. Don't believe the dates on the bottom of the photo name. Most of them were taken in June, July and August they just got stuck in a May folder by my wife.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/webworldcomp/album?.dir=5d35&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Posted by: Amanda_931       Posted on: Aug 11th, 2005, 6:36pm
Yay!, looking more and more like a house!

glenn-k

rwalter
Level 3 Member

Re: Building is under way (Photos updated 8/22/05
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 7:12pm »

Well things came a long way once quick. I had a few Amish framers finish up my framing this past 8 days. Here are some photo's. I still have 3 windows to cut out and put in since they were ordered late due to a design change. That and putting up soffits and I should be ready for the winter.

Posted by: PEG688       Posted on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 8:34pm
Looks good . Here's a real no kidding question . Do the Amish framer use elec pwr on a job like yours.  IE out in the world ?   Maybe I'm thinking of Mendonites .  
 Looks good overall Smiley Check out the Grace Vycor site , window tape / flashing detail before you start your siding , insurance  Wink

Fall is sure in the air / on the way out here Smiley  My favorite season , fall Smiley  
 HTBH  WinkPEG
Posted by: rwalter       Posted on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 7:00am
PEG.

Yes they have no problem using power tools out on a job site as long as you provide them. They used my Pasload framing nailer, cicular saws and reciprocating saw.
Posted by: John Raabe       Posted on: Aug 26th, 2005, 8:00am
Nice work on the house. Those shed dormers really open up the upper floor while still keeping much of the cottage feel. Did you do trusses over the double dormer sections?
Posted by: glenn kangiser       Posted on: Aug 26th, 2005, 9:10pm
I like it rwalter- no cookiecutter crackerbox look there. Grin
Posted by: rwalter       Posted on: Aug 26th, 2005, 9:34pm
John and Glen,

First off thanks and John no the dormer roof section was stick built. It was actually the point of the roof we built first. I wanted to make sure we had at least a 6/12 pitch on the dormer roofs so that ridge board height was estabiished first and we carried the ridge board out the rest of the way. I originally thought it would turn out to be a 16/12 or 17/12 steep pitch on the gabel ends but it turned out 14.5/12. Plenty steep enough but it still allowed for the 6/12 pitch on the dormers and a second floor ceiling hieght of 8 ft in the dormers.

I'd also like to thank everyone here at the site who contributes their thoughts,pictures, designs and advise. You all have been my inspiration and motivation behind this project.  

Thank you all again for all the support I couldn't have gotten this far with out it!

Posted by: zr800       Posted on: Feb 1st, 2006, 8:10am

rwalter- when you say Upstate NY where are you referring to?   I live in Rochester and have just begun my quest to build in Tug Hill region.  At this point I think we are looking at building the 20x34 2 story modified w/garage.

glenn-k

I moved this here today - sorry I didn't have time to go through and clean it all up -.

Please check out the last question by zr800- from old forum -thanks -----gk

rwalter

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for disappearing for so long. I been super busy raising my two boys and work. Here is a finished outside view

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45585467/Picture%20417.jpg

Still have some inside finishing to do but it is mostly done, hard to get it done only being there part time.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45585467/IMG_0486.jpg

I try to post some more pictures later. I know this posting originally got moved when this site got updated due to security issues. Unfortunately all those old pictures can not be seen.

rwalter

Hello Everyone,

I have copied a bunch of files up to Drop Box. This should give everyone a pretty good idea of the process. These pictures are all more than 1 1/2 to 2 yrs old. Next time I get down there I'll have to remember to take some new pictures, always seem to forget, because there is always something to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bs8f0m9oq1bh7vf/VTdiuGqERh

Here is another picture for the site.

rwalter

A couple of older construction pictures.

Dry wall with high density pack blown cellulose behind walls with netting, (not wet sprayed).

rwalter

Here is the missing first floor plan, 2nd floor is a loft with two bed rooms.

Here is the missing 3d rendering of the outside

rwalter

Since, I am just about finished I want to thank John, and this web site for all the valuable information, construction tips and design plans that have been used in the making of this home. I highly recommend buying Johns plans but feel customization is the key to happiness.

I will try to be back moer frequently but, no promises, my two boys are keeping me very busy with their sports. My next project, I am thinking about is a tree house. The A&E show Tree House Masters has bitten me with that building bug bite again and I just may have to scratch it.

North Sask

Quote from: rwalter on February 01, 2014, 02:40:29 AM
Sorry for disappearing for so long.

Welcome back after about 7 years! That is quite a hiatus. Looking forward to seeing a thread for the tree house project. Don't keep us waiting too long...
It would be greatly appreciated if you stopped by my thread and left your two cents.
Great Northern Saskatchewan Adventure...Round 2

rwalter

Thanks, I will try to keep a more frequent presence, I had a lot of change back then, promotion at work, change of shift and the chance to coach my boys soccer teams, which has kept me very busy and left little time for the cabin or posting. Also this site and forum was going through a change at that time and was down for a while, due to a problem they had here do to accounts being breached. So they eventually moved everything to a new site and forum. Fortunately Glen moved most of the post to the new forum. (Thanks Glen). Fortunately things are starting to slow down just a little in my life so hopefully I will have some more time to keep things updated.

kalstar

How is the second floor layed out?  How did you get 2 bedrooms up there.

Looks great BTW.

rwalter

The bedrooms are not huge, roughly 10x12 with a little more space at the ends. Here is the 2nd floor plan. I think in the windows got moved slightly closer to the bedroom doors to allow a little more wall space for dressers when we built it. We originally had it as one big room but decided with two boys it would be better for each to have there own room. Closet doors are actually bi-folds.

rwalter

Framing of 2nd floor bedrooms.

Below is and image of the front bedroom before drywall. The insulation is high density packed cellulose, behind netting.

kalstar

Thank you for the answer.

Well thought out and executed.

rwalter

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick question does anyone have a suggestion on a brand for a 16" step ladder? I have been looking at the Skyscraper from Little Giant, but I am not  sure how stable they are. One of the things I have left to do is   hang a ceiling fan in the cathedral ceiling and do some high trim work around the vent stove vent pipe. I don't want to put scaffolding on my hardwood floors to do the job if I don't have to and it would be very tight putting it up around the beam and stove.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Robert

rick91351

Quote from: rwalter on February 15, 2014, 07:41:50 PM
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick question does anyone have a suggestion on a brand for a 16" step ladder? I have been looking at the Skyscraper from Little Giant, but I am not  sure how stable they are. One of the things I have left to do is   hang a ceiling fan in the cathedral ceiling and do some high trim work around the vent stove vent pipe. I don't want to put scaffolding on my hardwood floors to do the job if I don't have to and it would be very tight putting it up around the beam and stove.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Robert

I have a Little Giant and love it.  It has been used pretty hard off and on. Extremely stable and useful.  People we know cut it so short on how useful it is  until they are around it for a while.  Then they go buy one.  PS Get the real Little Giant and not a knock off....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Windpower

We have a little giant as well

every stable

it is a bit heavy but works great
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

flyingvan

Find what you love and let it kill you.