Panelized Victoria Cottage

Started by CREATIVE1, May 01, 2006, 05:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CREATIVE1

Finally getting ready to compare pricing on a panelized version from Double-S Homes in British Columbia vs a stick built Victoria Cottage in Washington State.  Theirs has gluelam beams under the second floor, 4 feet apart, and a 2 x 6 tongue and grove floor/ceiling.  Comes in 4 foot sections with pre-stained vertical cedar siding, and prices that start at $28 a square foot.  They will work from the Victoria Cottage plans.  Website is www.double-s-homes.com.  They've been in business since 1979 and have built about 70 homes in the San Juans.

Since we live in Florida, we do want a home that will go up fast.  So, in comparing panelized with stick-built (labor provided by us, friends, and some professionals)--any thoughts?  Kinda hard to look at comparative labor costs, with some being free and low cost (everyone has experience)--but also having to provide airfare.  Also, how can I put together a materials list for a lumberyard? If it costs LOTS less to work from the original plans, that will be the winner. :o :-[

MikeT

Before I found this site, I had a model from Double-S in mind.  Then I started putting the numbers down and thinking about my available time in addition to cost, delivery issues, engineering, etc.  I ended up deciding that buying the plans from John and using my skills and friends' time would be the  best route.  I liked the service I got from the folks at Double-S, but in the long run...

With the price of fuel, it makes even more sense to try and buy locally.

jraabe

I will be interested to see what you discover from the panelized manufacturer. There is a Canadian panelized house (not my plans) going up near me. I talked to the foreman and he said there were always small problems but that the shell went up relatively fast and the quality of materials was excellent (better than what we can get locally).

For a materials list try the two suggestions in the "Read Me First" sheet in your plans booklet. Some local lumber yards may do a takeoff from your plans for you if will be buying from them. Mine did this for me. (Don't expect a big box store like Home Depot to do this however.)

peg_688

in the San Juans.

Since we live in Florida, we do want a home that will go up fast.  So, in comparing panelized with stick-built (labor provided by us, friends, and some professionals)--any thoughts?  Kinda hard to look at comparative labor costs, with some being free and low cost (everyone has experience)--but also having to provide airfare.  Also, how can I put together a materials list for a lumberyard? If it costs LOTS less to work from the original plans, that will be the winner. :o :-[

[size=12]

Cr-1 Check out the panlized home thread this site I did awhile back . Might give you some idea what that was like .

Panelized home or some such was the thread name .

#1  Also a Canadian company home nice guys , good framing lumber.

#2  These guys will quote you  a delivered lumber package price delievered to the San Jauns , they know the island drill.  Barge  service etc . if your on one of the Isl. not serviced by WSF system .

Frontier Industries , Anacortes Wa, 360-293-4588.  

http://www.frontierindustries.com/locations.htm

You'll need to mail / fax them a set of plans , they'll shoot you a # ,

I do not work for , nor recieve any compencation from Frontier Inds. I just happen to use them as they are the local lumber yard.

Good luck , PEG

[/size]  

CREATIVE1

Thanks, everyone.  You've given me a good start.  Will keep you posted as I go through "the Process."
Any other ideas also appreciated.   :)

CREATIVE1

Just to clarify--Double-S has built homes in the San Juans, but I will be building at Lake Cushman.  I also need to consider my 1/4 mile long narrow private road with a creek in a gorge on one side--already had one mishap.  Double-S panels are only 4 feet wide, so could be offloaded. But the creek is so beautiful and musical that it's worth it.  Will post pictures of it later. I've really enjoyed all of yours.