Sleep Camp Design Ideas...

Started by Jayburr, August 07, 2010, 07:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayburr

Hi All, my first post ever after just discovering the forum, I think it great!

Next spring I hope to build a sleep camp/bunk house for guests at our river lot.  I'm thinking 12'x14.  That size should allow for 2 double sized beds, room to move around and a suitcase or something.

Does any one have and designs?  Photos?  Tips?

Thanks!
Jason

rick91351

w*

Myself I really like this because it is very diverse and the really can be used for a lot of things:

http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/43.html

Read down the list of stuff it includes it is great!  His booklet on taking your plans to the building department was a huge help for me.  But your idea being that that small should not be bothered at all with that.  But it is knowledge, useful knowledge for a later date maybe.  Or share with some one else.   

It is John's who owns this site.  But we certainly do not just discuss his plans here.

There are several more I know of on the internet.  I would just start loading up the search engines until you find one that fits.  Then do keep us posted as to what you are up to.  We would love to share in our build, give you ideas where you might be going wrong and words of encouragement.

Rick     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Jayburr

Thanks Rick, right now I'm just looking for ideas, I'm not ready to pay for plans just yet although I'm sure they're great from what I read on the forum.  Again if anyone has any photos please post.  When we start to build I will chronicle it here.

THanks
J.

Solar Burrito

Search for Tiny houses, you'll get tons of pictures and ideas.

Lots of good pictures ideas and inspiration for small structures: http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

MaineRhino

w*

I started my bunkhouse last year, mostly for storage of the tools. Now I have another shed built and plan to finish the bunkhouse soon. It is 12x16 and will have a small woodstove, futon, kitchenette and bunks. Here's a not so recent pic.

I'll be working on it this weekend and will update with pics.

suburbancowboy

Here is a link with tons of great ideas.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=641.0

I just finished a 12 X 16 1 1/2 story bunk house last week.  It was a great learning experience and will sleep 8 and will be used until the bigger cabin gets built next year.  Have fun.  I enjoyed the design as much as the build.

NM_Shooter

Consider double sized bunk beds to save space.  I just built queen sized bunks this past weekend and they turned out well, and are functional even with an 8' ceiling height.

I am planning an 8' X 12' bunkhouse for guests, using double sized bunks.  In conjunction with folding cots, I can sleep 6 easy in that space.

I'm considering double entry doors so that I can use it for storing an ATV as well.   

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Double or queen size bunks make a lot of sense in a small cabin.   [cool]   

As long as they are not triple or quadruple decked like in a concentration camp.  ;D   or an old submarine
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ovidgsd

No triple or Quad decked?  Oh common, you want luxury now?............ ;)  d*

I will be doing quad decked bunks on the back wall of my 16x16 bunk house, with a loft as the 4th deck - this way when my sister brings up her three kids, there is space for all to sleep  (I'll have to be outside in a tent with the dog - winter is no problem ;))

andrehoss

Quote from: MaineRhino on August 26, 2010, 03:51:47 PM
w*

I started my bunkhouse last year, mostly for storage of the tools. Now I have another shed built and plan to finish the bunkhouse soon. It is 12x16 and will have a small woodstove, futon, kitchenette and bunks. Here's a not so recent pic.

I'll be working on it this weekend and will update with pics.

Very nice design. Very beautiful. I like it. Thank you.