Two story Little House?

Started by Ray N, December 08, 2004, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray N

If it was possible how much modification would be needed to make a Little House or Builders Cottage into a two story?  Sorry if the sounds like an asthetic crime,  but my property is terraced so I could easily have it one story on one side and two on the back.

I originally was sold on the idea of a full fondation, but was thinking I could use the terracing to my advantage and use a simpler foundation (hmm could I get by with heavy peirs?), thus more wood (my sweat equity) and less cement (contracted out).  I'd use the bottom level for storage, heating and future utilities hookup.

Thanks.

John Raabe

For small houses the main drawback to going two stories high is the space needed for the stair. A wrap around code stair takes a space over 8' long by 7' wide out of both floors. This is the entry fee for a two story design and it makes little difference what the total size the of the house is.

In a project like the Little House it is a big percentage of the available space.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Ray N

Thanks John,  for the situation I was thinking I wouldn't have interior stairs.  One side you would walk in from ground level or have a few external steps.  The back of the house would be lower and you could walk into the "basement".

I guess my question is besides stairs could I use beefed up peirs and 2x6 construction and make a two story Builders Cottage?

John Raabe

Sure, you could stack two floors on top of each other. If you will do a concrete foundation just make it sized for a two story house (8" wall w/ 8x16 Ftg.). If you will do the post and pier foundation you will need to add extra piers to shorten the span of the beams and carry the extra load.
None of us are as smart as all of us.