Temporary Cabin Water

Started by CabinNick, June 03, 2018, 10:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CabinNick

I am trying to find an inexpensive solution for temporary cabin water for the next two years until we get the main cabin built and water put in.  We have a spring developed with a hose spigot about 300 yards away from our "tiny cabin" (picture a rustic, tiny home on wheels).  The tiny cabin has a sink and faucet and is plumbed to be connected to a regular garden hose for a source of water.  We have been just bringing water in 7 gallon jugs each trip and not using the faucet, but it would be nice to not have to bring water and to have the faucets hooked up to water. 

I am looking at a 21 gallon ATV weed sprayer on a trailer with a 12v 2.5 GPM pump.  I could just tow that to our spigot with the ATV and then connect it to the water line and run the pump off the battery we already have for the heater.  We would just use the water for washing dishes, washing hands, etc. - not drinking.  Would that GPM of a pump provide sufficient enough pressure for the sink faucet?

MountainDon

Most pumps I have looked at list the PSI as well as the GPM. Many RV pumps have a GPM from 2.5 to 3 and put out 40+ PSI. If the water use is just a sink faucet I would think the ATV unit would work fine as a temporary supply. Can you dig up any more details on the pump; make, model?  Weed sprayers usually will have lots of pressure but that may be at a low volume setting. Just guessing.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CabinNick

Don - it is sold by NorthernTool; made by Northstar.  I now see that it puts out 70 PSI so it should work fine. 

Kenhill - unfortunately the site of our temporary cabin is uphill, but we have a spring developed already that will work great once we build our permanent cabin. 

akwoodchuck

A nice system would be a 300-ish gal. "pickup bed" water tank for a cistern, with a little gas-powered trash pump and 1000' poly ag line to fill it, coupled with an RV water pump/ heater....should be able to put something like that together for less than a grand if you shop around....
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

JRR

Make sure the garden hose is suitable for potable water .... most are not!  Small diameter PEG tubing can be fairly inexpensive.  You could install one roll at a time, each installation getting closer to final target.  Unless you have to dig pretty deep for freeze prevention, the PEG would be available for re-use/re-location later on.

MountainDon

An RV water hose is suitable for potable water... white in color.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

DaveOrr

Quote from: JRR on June 04, 2018, 10:14:19 AM
Make sure the garden hose is suitable for potable water .... most are not!  Small diameter PEG tubing can be fairly inexpensive.  You could install one roll at a time, each installation getting closer to final target.  Unless you have to dig pretty deep for freeze prevention, the PEG would be available for re-use/re-location later on.

I grew up drinking water straight from the garden hose and I'm still alive.
Rode my bike without a helmet too!!!!
   :)
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

MountainDon

Dave, when we grew up we didn't have hoses made in countries that may not have the same quality rules that we may have had.  And we only drank from the hose once in a while.

Don_P

And it tasted like the inside of a football, and we loved it  :D

DaveOrr

Quote from: Don_P on June 06, 2018, 04:48:16 PM
And it tasted like the inside of a football, and we loved it  :D

:)
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

redside

I am contemplating using the weed sprayer with built in sureflow on demand water pump too due to ease of set up and costs.  It has enough psi to trigger an tankless hot water heater and take a nice shower.  I even believe I read somewhere that the plastic holding tank is a virgin plastic that is safe for storing potable water, but I will not warranty that statement.  I am sure it is fine for utility water.  To buy the pump and holding tank as separate units might be worth a look as well.  The pumps come in both AC and DC flavors.

An alternative to consider would be foregoing the on demand pump and purchasing a utility gas powered pump and pressure tank so that you would not need a power source to have short term water needs; or gravity feed from your water source (if practical).