AdvanTech subfloor size???

Started by TarMetto, February 15, 2017, 05:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarMetto

Really strange that this stuff comes 96" long but only 47.75 wide from edge to tongue?
I know it requires a 1/8" gap at all edges....but that's split between the sheets.
Our 20' x 40' build required a slight saw trim the 40' way...but would have ended up short
the 20' way had we not tested by laying 5 sheets down with proper spacing. the last sheet
actually landed shy of the rim joist.
Weird!

Don_P

Yup, it ticks me off. Without the rim (the boundary element) well connected to the floor diaphragm the floor does not behave correctly. If there is a deck ledgered onto the rim, that rim is not well attached to the house as is assumed, that is where those lateral deck restraints would be a good idea. If a row of blocking inside the rim will catch the sheets that is a good idea. The "solution" is to start with a row 16" or wider and finish with a row 16" or wider, basically buy an extra row of sheets. I use the cutoffs from that for stairs etc.

MountainDon

Or do like I did on our cabin... Instead of building a 16 foot wide floor I built a 15 foot 9 inch wide floor. Our length was 30 feet so I let that go and just cut off where the 8 foot length fell and used the cut offs for other odds 'n' ends.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NathanS

It got me on our house. Luckily at 20ft wide I was able to add 2x blocking to the rim so I could nail and glue the edge. We still added a ~1" narrow strip for the upstairs wall to sit on.. that was a pain. Ridiculous to undersize those sheets like that.

Do just want to add that I put that advantech through the ringer.. we are talking inches and inches of rain, some snow, and ice it saw for a few months. And not a single piece swelled anywhere.

MushCreek

I got caught, too, when I built my exactly 28' wide barn. I ended up cutting a 26" wide strip on each side, and re-purposing the considerable amount of scrap.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.