Dissection of an old water heater. Sawzall?

Started by NM_Shooter, January 21, 2017, 01:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I'm going to be swapping out a water heater for my daughter  d*

Oddly, she does not have access to a landfill facility near by her house.  I'm thinking that we will take the old one, cut it into three or four pieces, and she can dispose of it in her weekly trash can pickup curbside. 

I've seen folks cut these up with a circular saw and a metal blade, and am wondering if I can do the same with a Sawzall (albeit more slowly I bet.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks...

Frank
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

hpinson

I would think a Sawzall with a "Torch" metal cutting blade would do just fine. Wear gloves and be wary of sharp edges and kickback.

GaryT

MountainDon

If her trash service is like ours (WM) the pieces will need to be small enough to allow complete closure, hiding in the can, as WM does not count water heaters to be within the realm of ordinary household trash. 

I just took one from our house to our dump for a cost of $14.  OTOH, I took the heater I replaced in Los Alamos to their county dump and accepted at N/C. (Residents there get 12 large dump loads for free, annually.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

Y'all don't have metal scrappers? The last ferrous I took in fetched $.04/lb ... gas and a drink for the trip home.

I'd use the skillsaw and abrasive blades or a grinder with several thin wheels.

Mike 870

Lol Don, I was thinking the same thing.  I just take it to the alley behind my house and the scrappers get it within 45 minutes!  Or I take it down to the recycling yard and get $25 bucks or so for it.  Then again I'm in an urban area.

Dave Sparks

We are extreme rural and there are homes here that go back over 150 years with the same family. Some of them have everything that was ever purchased or obtained somewhere on their land.  :P
"we go where the power lines don't"

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: Dave Sparks on January 26, 2017, 11:22:44 AM
We are extreme rural and there are homes here that go back over 150 years with the same family. Some of them have everything that was ever purchased or obtained somewhere on their land.  :P

My first home had an old water heater thrown in the crawl space.  They didn't bother hauling it away, just put it out of sight.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

MountainDon

First homes.... our first home had a copper alloy water heater tank. electric. Energy so cheap back then (1968) it was not insulated; even though it was in an unheated basement and in cold Canada. I'd like to salvage that tank today :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

busted knuckles

Quote from: MountainDon on January 26, 2017, 04:49:16 PM
First homes.... our first home had a copper alloy water heater tank. electric. Energy so cheap back then (1968) it was not insulated; even though it was in an unheated basement and in cold Canada. I'd like to salvage that tank today :)

My father in law worked construction in the San Francisco area, pulled a 40ish gal copper tank out of a house. I ended up with it, I was going to dress it up as a still.
you know that mugshot of Nick Nolte? I wish I looked that good.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: NM_Shooter on January 21, 2017, 01:12:36 PM
I'm going to be swapping out a water heater for my daughter  d*

Oddly, she does not have access to a landfill facility near by her house.  I'm thinking that we will take the old one, cut it into three or four pieces, and she can dispose of it in her weekly trash can pickup curbside. 

I've seen folks cut these up with a circular saw and a metal blade, and am wondering if I can do the same with a Sawzall (albeit more slowly I bet.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks...

Frank

Split in half they make good Hog troughs or feeder troughs.   ;D