Question on 20x30 1.5 story code stairs

Started by CabinNick, January 05, 2017, 01:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CabinNick

I hate to ask another question related to code stairs in the 20x30 1.5 story but I am really scratching my head at how to make this work. 

My plan is to build the 20x30 1.5 story, extend it to 34 feet and have a full second floor instead of a loft.  I have to build to Oregon code.  My hope is to have the ceiling and wall heights as in the original plans.  Would like to have exposed 4x12 beams on 4' centers.  Plan is to do a block or poured stem wall foundation with crawl space.

I don't really want to do the U shaped stairs and like the idea of a L shaped stair with a wood stove in the corner of the L.  I am wondering if I could make this design work and meet code by adding a load bearing post at the end of my counter and another where the stairs/meet the bedroom wall.  This would create a roughly 8'x10' opening for the stairs and the stove pipe.  Hard to describe in writing; so attached are a couple rough drawings.

Don_P

You don't need a post, run a beam in the second floor framing across as a joist at the left side of the hole in the 2nd pic, then a beam from that over to the wall top at the head of the stairs.

CabinNick

Thanks Don.  I just assumed if I broke up the 4' spacing of the beams that I would have to add some additional structural support.  That will make life much easier!

flyingvan

I really like your placement for the woodstove--low, and near the center of the structure.  You might consider a register, second floor ceiling, placed over the woodstove below with a thermostat controlled blower.  During the framing stage run ducting down stairs, maybe into the bathroom.  I could see the heat rising to the upstairs causing a cooling draft into the downstairs bathroom
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Rys

jdindino

Not to derail your thread, but is this Sketchup that many of you are 3D modeling with, or the site recommended software for altering their plans? Very nice detail.

CabinNick

Yes, the free version of Google Sketchup - just download online and go.  I had been watching people on this forum use it for a while and have been putting off learning it because I thought it would take a long time to learn.  One night I spent an hour watching YouTube tutorials with my 5 and 7 year old kids.  After an hour of tutorial videos all 3 of us could use it pretty good.  The only problem now is when I want to work on cabin design I have to fight with my kids to use the computer because they are building things on Sketchup.  Pretty amazing how good my 5 year old is at it for his age.

HappyOne

:)

Still desiring a U but with some minor adjustments on the landing it might be workable with my old cranky knees. lol

jdindino

Thanks! Looks like I better get on the tutorials then.