10x12 cabin

Started by cracker, September 18, 2007, 05:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cracker

hi looking for some help start my 10x12 cabin this weekend. should i put my 2x6 on 16" center with 5/8 plywood or 2' on center with 3/4 advantech. it is first cabin and it will be on my mt land that i hope to build a small house to retire on. i will post pictures this weekend. thx paul

glenn-k

As an example, John's Little House  plan has 3/4 t&g with 2x6 joists on 16" centers for a utility building but 12" centers for habitable space (per booklet note).

MountainDon

Hey Paul,

What do you plan to finish the interior walls with? That could influence what spacing you use.

With 2x6 framing you can go to 24" O.C., save a little lumber and have a better insulated wall. However, the biggest disappointment could be using a too thin and flexy material (like 1/2" drywall) and have wavy walls.

Also what do you plan to use for the final exterior walls?

glenn-k

Good point Don -- I assumed floor joist but now am not sure -- anyway that's what my reply was about - the floor.

MountainDon

Ha!  ;D ;D  I assumed the walls. Funny how our heads work. For the floor my joist calculator doesn't recommend 2x6's for 10 ft span... if that's what the floor will be. Of course that assumed a 10 ft joist.... maybe it's less with a slight overhang....  ??

I think we need clarification....  :-/

glenn-k

I did check the plan for the Little House -- Now that you mentioned it you are right -- the 2x6's span only 6 feet on the plan with 2' cantilevered over the beams on each side.  Makes for a stiffer floor if I recall correctly.

cracker

sorry i need to be a little clearer i'm talking about the floor joist and i'm going to put a board and batting cut from a saw mill on the outside walls with 2x4 wall 16"oc thx paul

MountainDon

Thanks. Now that we're all on the same page, the floor, how is the floor you're building being supported? At the perimeter or longitudinal beams, inset 1 or 2 feet from the edges, with joists on top?

You can use this online calculator to check different sizes and spacing.

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/timbercalcstyle.asp?species=Spruce-Pine-Fir&size=2x12&grade=No.+2&member=Floor+Joists&deflectionlimit=L%2F360&spacing=12&wet=No&incised=No&liveload=50&snowload=-1&deadload=10&submit=Calculate+Maximum+Horizontal+Span

cracker

i was going to used blocks under the 2x6 but now after looking at the little house pictures i think the 4x6x12 on the blocks is a good way to go.thx paul

jraabe

Yes, the Little House plans get a stiff floor out of a cantilever over the foundation beams. This works fine in a lightweight house such as those projects. It should not be done in a house with a second floor.

I didn't use the same system in the upgraded 14x24 Builder's Cottage (in the Enchilada plans). It has a perimeter foundation and full span joists.

cracker

hi one more i read in how to build your dream cabin in the woods ,that you can put 4mm polyethylene film on top of your joints then layer of felt roll roofing to protect the subfloor from ground moisture. do you all think this is a good the to do thx paul

PA-Builder

Whichever floor joist system you decide on, I would highly recommend the Advantech 3/4" T&G on 16" centers.  You will not be sorry using this product.  I used it, it got wet many times, absolutely no problems !