Land deal gone bad

Started by archimedes, January 21, 2011, 09:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archimedes

Ok,  so I went to apply for a septic perc permit and was reviewing the application and found a statement that says a "classified" stream must have a setback of 100 ft.  So I research with the DEC to see if the stream bordering on my prospective property is a "classified" stream -  and it's not.  What a relief.

But the catch.  When I was talking to the permiting guy I sort of mentioned the above info and he volunteered that "yeah,  but we don't really go by that,  we require any flowing stream (or pond) must have a 100' setback".  When I asked why the application doesn't just say that then,  he didn't have much of an answer.

Because the lot has a stream and a pond,  80% of it has now been eliminated from having a septic   >:(

And the parts that are left are not where I want to build the house.

This lot is starting to look very expensive at $13k an acre.

Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

duncanshannon

Quote from: archimedes on May 03, 2011, 04:29:52 PM

This lot is starting to look very expensive at $13k an acre.

yikes!!  thanks for helping me appreciate my $2k an acre a little more!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

rick91351

The hundred foot set back is pretty much standard or seems to be.  However that might seem challenging at first.  If you map it all out, as I am sure you have but often times you can find a spot and make it all fit.  Keep in mind three things in looking for a place to build and septic.  First: Always remember stuff runs down hill.  Second:  See the first.  Then there is three:  Stuff can be pumped to a spot where it can run down hill.  But often times this requires additional permitting and requirements.   

Another hundred foot issue is there wells in the area?  That is another 100 foot setback.  Depending on the property sometimes it is harder than heck to find a hole that will pass a perc test.

Will PM you a horror story of sorts.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

cbc58

fyi... some areas will allow you to put a septic on an abutting property if the owner will grant you an easement to do so.  seen it a few times around here (rural areas) where a lot is not buildable and they find a spot on an abutters property that accepts a leach field.

Squirl

Just build a perc test approval and septic engineer design into the contingency for the contract.  Your lawyer should be very familiar with this.

cbc58

Just build a perc test approval and septic engineer design into the contingency for the contract.  Your lawyer should be very familiar with this

and cap the cost at a certain price...

archimedes

Yeah,  the septic perc clause is already in the contract.

I just need to decide now whether I want to pay this much for a lot that I can't build where I want to.  I'm only left with one small section of the lot as a viable location for the septic.  And it's the most uphill,  and least desireable,  spot on the whole property.   :(

bayview

Are conventional septic systems required?   

What about an aerobic septic system?   No perc test required . . .     Since the system doesn't leech the effluent into the ground.   It may cost more . . .    But you might be able to locate your home where you wanted.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

cbc58

how about a Bernake system.  just bury him with his head sticking out and connect a pipe directly to his mouth... highest and best use and proven to redistribute toxic waste without govt. penalty.  

archimedes

Never heard of am aerobic septic systems.   ???  Need to do some research

bayview

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Squirl

http://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/nycrr/title_10/part_75/appendix_75-a.htm

Complete code to NY state septic systems.

In my county a perc test is $200 with the town.  They dig two holes, you did a 6 ft trench.  An average septic engineer design is $1000.

This is why they say always do the septic first.  Many counties require the perc and design before the building permit.

Tickhill

As I am experiencing with a neighbor right now, a fence makes a good neighbor or is it a really tall fence makes a tolerable neighbor???
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time