Gov. Rick Perry: opposes any handgun restrictions

Started by youngins, May 01, 2007, 10:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngins

Interesting you bring that up.  It reminds me of a study I heard about done with kids and toy guns. Put a whole bunch of kids (don't remember age for study)  in a room together and put a toy gun in the corner.  

No need to explain what happens.

When my dad went to high school in Toledo, they had a rifle club. When I went in CA, the most they had was a shop class which allowed us to bring a rifle in to refinish (IIRC, I restored an old Mauser).

So what has changed in the last 50 years? Are we to assume HATE and INTOLERANCE has only risen?

OK EVERYBODY - GROUP HUG ;)
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

MountainDon

26 years ago when our one and only son was born my wife decided that we would not introduce any toy guns into his playthings. I'm not sure how old he was when he created his own toy gun from a Y-shaped twig he found in the backyard. At some point after that he was creating guns from Duplo bricks. I began to give him and his friends all sorts of wood scraps from my workshop. They made a lot of boats, cars, castles and yes, handguns, rifles, cannons.

All this while the only TV he was exposed to was Sesame St, the Electric Company, Mr. Rogers and the like.

All this time the only firearms I owned, 1 shotgun & 2 rifles, were locked away in a locker I built concealed in between the floor joists, access via the basement. He never even saw one of these until he was 5.

Somewhere along the line my wife had a gradual change of heart re guns. We started target shooting, went thru countless safety drills, drilled holes in hundreds of tin cans on the farm, etc.

Somewhere along the line people became more frightened of guns and I think the move from the country life to the city life had a lot to do with it. That somehow generated an anti firearms mentality among people who never owned, never held, never fired a gun.

I promised no more essays, so bye now...  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

It does seem that news reports are full of shooting, attacks made on people where the attacked victims are injured or killed. But it is much less seldom reported when an attacker is successfully repelled, unless the attacker is killed.

The NRA keeps an archive of news stories from papers around the country, that they have re-published in the American Rifleman. It's available at  http://www.nraila.org/ArmedCitizen/Default.aspx

There's a search function. Try searching "child" or "surrender" or whatever. Or don't enter any keywords; it goes random then. These are all valid examples of why you can not depend on the police to protect you. Mostly the police get there to mop up, take your affidavit, if you are able to provide it.

Go ahead, it doesn't hurt to check it out.

Chris Cope said it was "like something in a serial killer movie," at a Memphis, Tenn., shopping center where he manages a financial services office. According to police, a store employee began stabbing co-workers after a work dispute. The attacker had already stabbed eight people and was chasing a ninth when Cope ran to his truck to retrieve his 9 mm pistol. "[The suspect] just kept saying, 'I'm insane. I wish I was never born,' and all that stuff," Cope said. But apparently the crazed man valued his life more than he let on. "When he turned around and saw my pistol, he threw the knife away, put his hands up and got on the ground," Cope said. "He saw my gun and that was pretty much it."

Las Cruces, New Mexico, street cleaners Ramon Zamora and Jesus Zavala had been robbed before. They decided to do something about it and got carry permits for their 9 mm pistols. When accosted by three youths who brandished pistols and threatened to rob them, the pair drew their own pistols and shot the three attackers, killing one and wounding the two others. Zamora and Zaval were not charged.

Joe Phillips just wanted to help a friend fix her car, but police say that when he entered an auto parts store, an armed robber forced him to change his plans. According to a police report, a 21-year-old man brought a gas can into the store and began to fuel a small motorcycle that was on display. When a clerk told him to stop, the suspect pulled a gun, pointed it at the worker and announced he was robbing the place. It was then that Phillips drew his own gun and told the young man to drop his firearm. The two exchanged gunfire and the would-be robber was shot. He was recovering at a hospital and was expected to be arrested after his release. "That's exactly like Joe," said Karl Phillips, Joes brother. "Joe's a good Samaritan, always has been. Joe wouldn't have gotten involved if he didn't think it was a matter of life and death." A clerk was also injured, but is expected to recover.

The burglar evidently believed the first break-in of 57-year-old Floyd Williams' Lovington, New Mexico, home had been such an easy job that he returned just a week and a half later. During the first incident, the suspect beat Williams with a pipe, laying a three-inch gash across his head. But in the second burglary, Williams was ready, armed with a .25-cal. pistol. When the intruder broke through the front door, the homeowner fired, striking him in the leg. The wounded house-breaker ran to a car, and he and his accomplice fled the scene. Two months later, police discovered the body of the fatally wounded suspect in a ditch, where it was allegedly dumped by his accomplice after the man died from Williams' shot during their getaway. The accomplice was found and arrested.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

That is great, Don.  A few getting what they deserve and in a reasonable manner.

I was in a store where an undercover cop got a multiple return robber.  Shot him right there - told him if he moved he'd blow his head off.  I have no use for criminals.  Many good cops do the job they are supposed to.  I'm all for that.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

youngins

Another City Considers Banning Sale Of Toy Guns

Dallas May Also Ban Playing With Fake Guns In Public

http://www.nbc5i.com/family/9424339/detail.html?rss=dfw&psp=news

MountainDon

Arrrggh!! Yes, I've heard of this happening in other cities. Beaverton, Oregon I believeThere will be more attempts to come I'm sure. And they're all misguided efforts in my opinion. Anyone worried about this non-issue should first be more concerned about home swimming pool deaths, children's bicycle head injuries from no helmets being worn, improper use of ATV's by children (a plague in the west), and keeping poisons secured.

As far as criminals using these toys or replicas in the perpetration of a crime, that situation should make no distinction between real or   non-real guns. It's the intent that's important. The consequences should be the same. Pointing a gun, real or just realistic is a threatening action. If you aren't smart enough to think that through, and you get shot, too bad for you. Maybe you end up dead, maybe you end up in jail, the jail time should be the same. Maybe we can improve the gene pool.

I know of one case, in Annapolis, MD I believe, where a 7 or 8 year old threatened store employees with a holdup. Fortunately everything worked out okay. Yes that could have had a seriously bad ending. We need a little more instruction, not another crazy law. I place total blame for that event ever happening square in the lap of the parent(s). My son and none of his friends, who "fought" many a battle in the yards and streets of our neighborhood, could have ever conceived of doing something like that.

I already over 1200 words; gotta stop.

Hey Yougins, you sure know how to find stuff to annoy a guy.  ;D  That's okay, you're just the messenger, no danger to you.  BTW, my memory has holes, are you Chris?

youngins

QuoteBTW, my memory has holes, are you Chris?

Yes - But you can call me the troublemaker formerly known as Chris..  ;)

My frustration lies with people taking responsibility for themselves and raising their children.

Instead of passing laws to ban toy guns, pass laws to fund educating parents and kids. I would go on to include funding public education, but I don't have confidence in that institution (hence why we are home schooling our kids). I will save that for a more appropriate topic.

The troublemaker formerly known as Chris

bayview

Proof is in the puddin' . . . There is less crime when the criminal element doesn't know if John Q. Public is packin'.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

benevolance

Yes many troubles in the world come from Children needing sore bottoms and parents needing sore hands...

I would never say that a spanking is the first option... of course you ask your kids to behave first...But with outrageously bad behavior these kids need to have a layer or two of the skin off their arse blistered off...

there is another side to this though....Children need to have good examples set for them....my problem is kids not getting good examples being set...Kids not having their parents spend a lot of time talking in depth about morals and responsibility with their kids....

I almost feel that someone should drive over to the kids parents place and beat the ever living shit out of the parents for being azzholes and not teaching their children the difference between right and wrong.

My wife is a school teacher which makes her a baby sitter in today's school system...(Another rant another time)

She asked me what to do to get the kids to behave...I told her that she needed a system where kids got a warning as in one...then they had to take a note home and their parents had to sign it stating that they talked to their kids about the problem....And the child was not allowed back into the class until the parent filled out the behaviour form...

I thought it would work like a charm....It did not.... My flaw was in thinking that Parents would look at the note talk with their kids and they would get punished... most likely a spanking...and the next time the kid was going to use profanity at my wife they would remember their arse being blistered and think twice about acting stupidly.

The biggest reason it did not work as planned is because so many parents would rather not deal with a problem...That would require time spent with the child...they would have to talk with the child...Punish the child and think about how to be a better parent to prevent future problems...

Instead parents would just fill out the form or get all pissy about it and say something like....the problem is not my child the problem is the teacher....etc...

these parents do not even know who their kids are really....They do not know what kind of adults they are becomming...

It scares the hell out of me...

glenn kangiser

You have to remember that the problem kids may also come from alcohol and drug abusing parents so you won't get any help there.  Many of them have been controlling their parents for years -- the US made it a felony to punish your children and many have been sucked in by the psychiatrists  telling them that time outs-   non-consequential punishment etc. are the way to go.  Many of them probably haven't had kids and don't remember when they were one.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

fourx

The school system here is skewed toward a hands-off approach when dealing with the sector of the population who are responsible for a large proportion of disruptive actions as kids and a large proportion of property crime, child abuse and the rest as adults, and that is the Aboriginal population, who make up less than two percent of the population- and a whopping 60% of the prison population. Because of a guilt-edged ( and gilt-edged) Leftist-driven fear of being thought ""racist"" ( ie: ""you stole our land"'BS)the kids are allowed to be disruptive and agressive time after time with no consequences, and go on to become adults living on very generous race-specific welfare programs and in many cases lead a life of crime.
Only just over two hundred years ago these people were living an absolute stone-age existance and were one of the most primative races on Earth....many of the attitudes required to survive in those conditions are still present in their culture today, overlayed with a very thin vaneer of western civilisation, and most of that is Rap and Hip-Hop based.
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

glenn kangiser

Wow - you can't even get away from rap over there.... bummer.

MountainDon

Canada has a similar problem with it's indigenous people, the Inuit (Eskimos and Indians). I have a sister who lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba and she's related stories of how many government jobs get filled by people who's main qualification is that they are "indigenous", non-white in other words. I don 't mean to come across as anti- any thing as far as racial origin, but there is a limit as to how far backwards we should have to bend. Qualifications as to ability to perform should come first.

There are "status" Indians and Inuit and those who are not. I am a white son of immigrant parents who is without "status'.  I didn't rely on some government agency to provide me with the wherewithall to guarantee some standard of living. I went out and did it.

benevolance

Don

In Canada the Government tries hard to get people that are Native descent to fill positions in the police fire department and government jobs....

One of the main reasons for this in my opinion is the huge rift in society we see between aboriginals and everyday folk....They are mired in substance abuse poverty illiteracy...Violence crime...etc....It is an out of control cycle that has been repeating itself ever since our ancestors forced them off their land and sedated them with alcohol and drugs

Government jobs are choice jobs in Canada... you get all the benefits and holidays...Best of everything and you will never ever have to work hard...Plus you get overpaid for what you do by about 30%... if you are a janitor working at a gas station or Wal mart you might make for the sake of easy math say $10 an hour...You are sure to get $15 if you work for the government and you will not have to work as hard... you get more paid holidays and better benefits...

By making sure that as many people of native minority secure a quality career...It ensures that society as a whole benefits...Better jobs mean better standard of living and another family can break free of the cycle of substance abuse poverty etc...

You and I did not take their land...But they are the victims of the past... I am with you that I have had to work for what I have...But you and I are fortunate to be born in Families where we were not mired in a impossible situation...We have our health relatively stable families and endless opportunities.

As far as getting aboriginals to enter the police force they need all the help they can get dealing with the impoverished natives and there is a ever worsening situation over what is left of lands our wilderness ...Fighting over resources and treaties that guaranteed certain rights and freedoms to Indians....Unfortunately for you and I the wording is now ambiguous because the treaty was written over 100 years ago and the world has changed....And both sides take that to mean they can have more from the agreement in the future than they were getting in the past.

Having aboriginal police offers is a way to reduce tension...In a part of Canada where there is a large aboriginal population....And in a part of Canada where the Native Indians are growing more and more disruptive....

It has not been uncommon for them to tear up railroad track to make a point.... So the government is doing everything it can to reduce the stress and tension....That means hiring as many Aboriginals as possible for police officers to enlist them in bringing law to a group of people that the law has not been able to deal with in the past...

glenn kangiser

That's why we're giving California back to the Mexicans -

They had it first.  Somehow the native Americans will have to figure out how to get it from the Mexicans.  They really had it frst.

benevolance

glenn you better brush up on yer spanish It will be the official language of California any day now :P

glenn kangiser

Bi-lingual teachers available are mandatory.  Speaking English is not.  Yo habla un poco espanol.  Es bueno por mi. Possible necessito mas en la tiempo mas tarde.  

Now someone who really speaks Spanish can tear that up. ;D  Still - the Mexicans tolerate my Spanish. :)

youngins

This is how I would survive in Mexico:  Uno mas cerveza, por favor senioretta

glenn kangiser

fourx

Why not, youngins...San Miguel, Satu Largi ( one more ) and Gigagig got me right through Indonesia with no problems...
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

John_C

Remember - When seconds count, the police are only minutes away........

Two illegal aliens, Ralphel Resindez 23 and Enrico Garza 26, probably believed they would easily overpower a home alone 11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two story home.

It seems the two crooks never learned two things, they were in Montana and Patricia had been a clay shooting champion since she was nine. Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the front door of the house. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed his 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of buck shot from the 11 year olds knee crouch aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals. When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before medical help could arrive.

It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45 caliber handgun he took from another home invasion robbery. The victim, 50 year old David Burien, was not so lucky as he died from stab wounds to the chest.

MountainDon

There ya' go, John C, good one.

A 12 ga. double barrel is my favorite home defense weapon. Intimidating and it's not often you will need more than two shots. 4 - 6 extra shells on the stock in case. 18" barrels, short easy to handle. Get a model with external hammers, no danger of accidental discharge if kept loaded and uncocked. My choice of bird shot decreases the likelihood of seriously injuring someone in an adjacent room. Just my thoughts. Don't break in.

glenn kangiser

I just read that that one was false but follow the Snopes link and there are 2 more there that are not.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/homeinvasion.asp

Story quoted - http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou061228_ac_crosbyshooting.547846d3.html
Teen shoots, kills 2 would-be robbers

02:46 PM CST on Thursday, December 28, 2006

From 11 News staff reports

An overnight home invasion robbery attempt in northeast Harris County ended in a hail of gunfire that left two suspects dead.

Investigators said a 17-year-old was home with his cousin when four armed men kicked in the door and started shooting.

The teen pulled out a shotgun of his own and fired back at the suspects, killing two of them.

Two other suspects were later caught.

The 17-year-old asked to not be identified.

"Truthfully, it was either them or me, regardless of who was on the other side of that door or whoever kicked my door down, it was either him or me," he said. "I'm thankful to be standing here today. I thank god."

Authorities said at this point they are not planning on filing charges against the teen.

youngins

'Bloomberg Gun Giveaway' draws hundreds

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070518/ap_on_re_us/gun_giveaway

"Philip Van Cleave, the league's president, said he sympathizes with the families but maintained that some of the deaths might have been prevented if somebody had been armed."

glenn kangiser

Here is justice being meted out without the laxness of the court system.

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/58581.html

Hopefully he will be cited before he dies.  

Trash like this - spray painting the countryside - destroying millions of dollars worth of property per year - just because it isn't theirs, and they want their homey's to think they're cool --  I have no problem with them being shot in the act or being incinerated for their stupidity.  A start to cleansing the gene pool.  Others of this class think nothing of breaking into your car with a crowbar and stealing your stereo or other things you worked for, selling it for a few bucks just so they can get one more dope fix.

"But he's just a child."  ---- Yeah I'll bite.  A stupid one with no positive direction likely to beget more of the same if allowed to survive and multiply.  He likely came from parents who are of the same caliber.  Better that he is toast. :o