Main Menu

Recent posts

Thanks!  All we can do is hope and work!  Now, to get packing so I can go up and get it prepped! :D
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by MountainDon - Yesterday at 01:14:14 PM
Great! Two of our neighbors had done nothing. They both got burned to the ground. Sadly they are not even having the logger clean up the still marketable standing burnt to dead pines. He's done one 40 acre property that was toasted 98% and will finish a second property of 20ish acres, about 2/3 burned. Then ours next week, depending on rains. No charge to us, he gets the timber and it goes to the pueblo sawmill and wood pellet mill. Plus enough trees felled and laid across slopes for erosion control. There have been a couple of rains that have caused trouble as the water runs off the vast burnt areas of nat forest in many places.

Hopefully you will be untouched by fires and that if fire does come you will share in our good fortune.

Going up for a few days after dinner today
Last post by OlJarhead - Yesterday at 10:00:07 AM
Funny thing, a couple of other 'Erik's' own the land around me (and one Patty)...Eric the Seal, Eric Junior, and Erik the Old Jarhead! lol

JR plans to do the same and the Seal did a bunch on his place so it will help I think.  The Forester felt my place was in pretty good shape and said he'd bring in two tenders and a crew to my place if a fire broke out becuase it was a good defendable space and had lots of work done already.

I plan to get up there this weekend and the weather looks good!  Lows in the low 50's and highs in the low 80's.  If that holds it will be good weather to break down the ground around the cabin to dirt and get some sapplings felled!
Last post by MountainDon - Yesterday at 08:21:28 AM
 [cool] It can pay off.  I have not watched the video; maybe later.  Who owns the land around yours? Hopefully, they are also thinning, cleaning up deadfall, etc too.   
Last post by OlJarhead - Yesterday at 07:19:40 AM
It's been a while!  I am heading back to the cabin this weekend -- after more than two months away!!!  Yikes!  It's been a crazy year with both mom's injuring themselves (mine broke her pelvis in a couple places and her arm though the pelvis break wasn't as bad as it sounds it did put her in a rehab place for several weeks -- my wifes mom broke her wrist)...They are doing well now though still sporting casts and needing assistance etc so we're less able to freely travel as much as usual and then I've been milling on the road some as well (I retired in April so I could go milling -- ok, I quit and call it retiring lol)...

Here's a vid from one of my adventures!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP7gE_Q9uI4

I also started a DNR thinning plan for 6.3 acres and will hopefully begin some of that this weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Bu3mMCx80

I'll be testing out a new Echo battery powered saw this weekend too!
More to follow
Hope all is well.
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - August 09, 2022, 02:51:35 AM
Version 2.9.7 - 08.09.2022
- Enabled the following CUSTOM casings for rectangular windows: CUSTOM, CUSTOM D, CUSTOM F, CUSTOM G.
- Added a thumbnail preview into the edit and draw window menus showing the custom casing profiles.
- Added a thumbnail preview into the Window tab of the Global Settings and added the custom profile parameter.
- Added a STYLE G casing option for rectangular windows.
- Fixed a compatibility bug with CUSTOM door casings.

Land: Buy, Sell, Find / Re: Offgrid home in the Sierra...
Last post by MountainDon - August 08, 2022, 07:48:41 PM
Yes, I was watching that fire.

Here in NM, we have been dealing with the aftereffects of monsoon rains on burned areas. We are seeing firsthand what only a half inch of rain in a short time does as it flows through, or over, badly burned slopes. I've seen enough photos from past wildfires in the county, but it is something else to actually walk and drive the areas. Our property is on a ridge top, so water runs away from us. However, that means the water runs down or across our road and the forest roads we use to get to and from the highway.
Last post by Medeek - August 07, 2022, 03:20:30 PM
Version 2.9.6 - 08.07.2022
- Added STYLE G and CUSTOM G casing options for rectangular doors.

I had to add in these two styles since they are used in our own home.  I think I have finally beaten this horse to death but if there are any other styles you feel should be added please feel free to contact me or post them here.

The profile for the upper molding is found in the "system" sub-folder of the "library" folder.  It can be edited and customized by the user.  The file name is: CM_HEADER.skp
Land: Buy, Sell, Find / Re: Offgrid home in the Sierra...
Last post by Dave Sparks - August 06, 2022, 06:10:11 PM
Thanks ! Two weeks after escrow closed the OAK fire started 2 miles from our old house. It has been burning since July 22 and 127 homes are burned to white ash. We are very blessed to not have to live through another wildfire. The old house is OK but you can imagine how they feel. At one point there were over 500 homes without power in 100 degree heat and smoke. Link below of pictures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oak+fire+mariposa+county+%2B+pictures&sxsrf=ALiCzsaQzQRjUTplVCyuv0Xit1SubFkuNQ:1659827149389&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQ2IL9qbP5AhXeEEQIHTkXBXYQ_AUoBHoECAEQBg&biw=1600&bih=757&dpr=1

Last post by Medeek - August 06, 2022, 03:37:58 AM
Version 2.9.5 - 08.06.2022
- Enabled CUSTOM door casings for arched doors.
- Added CUSTOM D and CUSTOM F door casing options for rectangular doors.