20x30 1 1/2 story in Northern PA

Started by peteh2833, August 24, 2007, 05:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

, is the toilet just temporarily installed?

I've always finished the walls right to the paint and flooring before mounting the toilet. Easier to work that way.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peteh2833

Do you mean Pete? Yes it is temporarily installed. That is so when we are sleeping at night and some one has to go, no one has to go outside !!!!!
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

Yes I mean Pete. I don't even know who I am at times; no wonder I can't keep track of who anyone else is.  d*

That makes sense (the toilet).
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peteh2833

I was up at camp with the Family on Thursday until Saturday. I got a few things done. Mostly just cleaning up, moving some things in and installing the rest of the windows except 1. We spent our first night in the new camp on Thursday. The wife and kids loved it. Here are a few pics. Pete

Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Looking good Pete. Don't make it too confortable or you will never finish it.  ;D

Sassy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 12, 2009, 09:48:29 PM
Looking good Pete. Don't make it too confortable or you will never finish it.  ;D

yep, that's true - but how nice to be able to enjoy it in comfort even when not completely finished!  Looks good!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

smcdaniel345

Questions about your water supply lines?  I am interested in the PEX lines, but don't know anything about them.  How easy are they to install?  What is the difference between PEX and PVC?

MountainDon

PVC comes in 10 or 20 foot lengths. It is rigid, cannot bend around corners. You have to glue each fitting; that's slower and messier.

REX comes in 100 and 300 foot rolls, even longer. It is hard walled but flexible to a point. You need a special tool to crimp the fittings. No couplers needed to run a long line, unlike PVC.

PVC can not be used for hot water, for that you's use CPVC. PX is okay for hot. You can get PEX in white, blue and red. Very patriotic stuff.  ;D  You can use red for hot and blue for cold to assist in differentiating. Not a big deal in my book, but cool.

PEX installs much quicker. That's pretty much the main points.

phalynx

peteh,  I couldn't really make out too much detail in the picture, but be sure you put fire blocking in the stud space between the 1st and 2nd floors.  It should be filled with 2x6 to prevent fire from rising up the wall.  If it's there,  good job.  ;)

Redoverfarm

Pete I would highly recommend buying a roll of Rosin paper for the floor before you drywall the loft area.  The dust is almost impossible to eliminate in the cracks of the T&G.  At a cost of $13 for a 3'X500' it is a good investment and cuts down on the labor and the finished product.  Ask me how I know this? :(

Redoverfarm

Pete good progress for a "weekend warrior".  What are you going to do with the beams and ceiling? Stain or just seal?

phalynx

Nice work indeed.  The picture looks like you got one of them electric toilets...   d* 

Bishopknight

Very nice indeed!  I like the straightforward pex system too.

Redoverfarm

Looks real nice Pete.  Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ;D

poppy

Man, I like that red roof.  [cool]  Did you get a deal from the motel people (Redroof Inn)?

Can't wait to see what the siding looks like in contrast to the roof.

I am leaning towards a green metal roof, myself

Alberta Curt

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Pete looking good.  I take it the 2X material is just a heigth guide.  Some of the older homes used a water ledge or board between the upper portion and the lower portion. Sort of like a 3/4" turned on it's side.  They didn't last long with the weather.  I hope that I posted concerning the marriage of the top portion and the bottom portion.  There is a couple ways to do it.  One way might be too late and that was to 45 deg bevel the top of the bottom with the peak toward the house. The upper ortion was beveled also except the peak of the bevel was away from the house.  When water would run down it most likely will not travel up the 45 deg cut and continue running down.  The other is to install a flashing against the house, turn it to cover the upper edge of the bottom course and then turn it down to cover the edge. One flange gets nailed to the sheeting of the house and you can use "grace" to cover that.  Sort of like a modified "Z" design.  If you knew the color of the siding you could probably pu some coil stock to closely match and it would not be as noticable. 

upa

nathan.principe

looks very nice, love the look of the red roof against the cedar siding  [cool]

seedspreader

Pete,

Did I miss it? Did you pull down the old camp?

(I'm up in Bear Lake, North of you)

RIjake

Are you going to use drywall on the first floor walls?  If you do I'd love to see pics of it where it meets the beams.  I want to do the same thing on my house but with 20 footers instead of two 10's.  I'm also thinking about a rough sawn exposed ledger holding up the beams.

duncanshannon

nice project, awesome job on all the photos! just read  the whole thread.   [cool]
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

PAULJR85

This build looks great, I am looking to buy property in Tionesta myself this summer (Pray deal doesn't fall through).  How did your place turn out?  It's been almost a year since your last post.
Hoping to purchase land in Tionesta, PA

Redoverfarm

Quote from: peteh2833 on April 29, 2013, 08:29:23 PM
Well, been away from the forum for awhile. Still finishing the inside of the camp. Got all the tongue and groove 1x8 pine installed upstairs. Will post a picture when I can. Thanks Pete

I guess you are just following suit Pete.  Seems it is a mad dash to get it dried in and then we tend to relax a little for the rest.  Exception is that you immediately have to move in for a permanent residence.  Camps and weekend getaways are not as demanding.  Waiting for the pics.