New Tiny Home

Started by alexkgore, December 16, 2010, 01:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayview

Any idea of what the completed trailer may cost?   Are you  considering mass production?

/.   
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

alexkgore

Hi Glenn, I'm thinking the complete trailer would cost around $7,000 - $10,000 not counting labor or the PV's.  I have considered mass production, and I am really starting to wonder what RV people would think of a set up like this. Do you have any thought on that train of logic?

glenn kangiser

What I am seeing right now with the economy being as it is, is that the RV yards are full and they are making deals to get rid of them, but for the right person, they might be just the ticket.

It seems that people are just sitting tight on what money they have right now - but maybe they could be a niche market for someone who could sit on the back of dads lot.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

I may have missed something, is there a bathroom in your design?

bayview

It doesn't seem to be a lot of framing on the glass wall . . .    There will be quite a bit of movement when the trailer is moved . . .    Possible window damage?

How will the outside wall/deck be raised and lowered?   Hydraulics?   Cable and winch?   I would suppose that the deck would have to be pretty sturdy . . .    It's large enough for a dozen people . . .    Is there a weight consideration?   How will it be supported on the ground when lowered?  

Is there a way into the trailer unless the wall is lowered?

Where will you store the rain water?

You have a wall of glass . . .    What will you doing for heat/air conditioning?   Where will the HVAC be located?   A small enclosed area will produce a lot of humidity . . .   Especially with an indoor garden under a skylight . . .     How will you overcome this?

Where will the batteries for the PV cells be located?

How will you be able to maintain the "garden"?   A ladder?   Maybe have a garden on wheels. . .    So it could be moved outside to the deck.

How do you exit the loft in case of an emergency?

The loft is directly under the kitchen and bath area . . .    Accumulating heat and various odors. . .     Have you considered flipping the plan and putting the loft over the living area . . .    

The stairway takes up quite a bit of space. . .   http://www.countryplans.com/alt_stair/alt_stair.PDF

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

EPriesing

Its an interesting idea. 

But as someone who has had many different types of campers and tented it, this wont work as it is now. Love the idea of being open to the outside.....but it rains and sometimes a lot!  I would hate to be the poor sap that had to pack up all the furniture and put the wall back up ....while or right before it happens.  d* 
I see no convience there.  You maybe able to salvage this by figuring a way to make that wall a "rain draining deck"  with lots of draining spaces, that would not be attached to the same level of the inside floor.  At the same time having a 2nd roof on the main area that could slide over the deck with wall/pole supports to the ground, making a covered area. Or an awning, but those need to be put away in windy rain conditions. You also have to remember how are you going to support that wall/deck, i think it is going to add a lot of weight to that side of the trailer. 

The wall that is "open" will take a lot of needed storage space away.  Cabinets should be partly on these walls to also help tie up the structure of the trailer to the rest of the walls.  You will need to move the kitchen to the front of the trailer for an access door outside when it is fully shut.   I would also require the basics any camper kitchen has fridge/freezer, stove and sink, heater, toilet.  You will need a "fire access window" at the bed.  I would not buy this without a bath/toilet compartment. :)  That could be under the loftbed giving it some structural help.  I wouldn't want the stove/oven under my bed.  ???i wonder if its allowed?

Most trailer lofts will not hold adults because the weight issue, the walls are not stronge enough to hold much of anything.   Most trailer companies are trying to cut as much weight out the trailer so that our smaller vehicles can tow it....with all the stuff we put into it.   

Mabye put the stove counter sink area along the deck wall towards the front half.  Put your sliding window and table there up against the counter.  You must factor in where your water tanks, black and grey tanks, water heater will be as you design it.  If you plan to put them under its going to push your height up pretty high and you already have some height going on with the loft.

Giving friendly advice from someone who has never built a trailer but has camped alot.  Looking forward to your next step. ;D

Betsy

bayview

?

Any progress?

/.

MountainDon

alexkgore hasn't been around since Feb. sometime
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.