satellite imagery ... most detailed site?

Started by cbc58, July 24, 2008, 01:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

anyone know of a site that has better imagery then google or terra server...   I am looking for an image for a rural NH area and they are not very good.  Any spy-type satellites out there you can get images from?  tks.

glenn kangiser

NASA World Wind was another but I wasn't overly impressed -- haven't seen any that are great.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I don't know...I used google to check out our house in WI and you could see me out in the yard with the dog...I could even tell what color jacket I had on.  I think the picture depends upon location.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on July 25, 2008, 10:05:54 PM
They do have better imagery for cities.
Late check in on this.

The resolution varies a lot with location. Cities, more populous areas have much better detail than the boonies. But not always. A huge area north of our mountain property (93,000,000 acres has great imagery, and it's all remote. Why> Because it's a chunk of land the US Government bought and turned into a Preserve; The Valle Caldera. We're just south of the high detail area and dissolve into mush. Which may noy be a bad thing....
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I had stumbled across a image site and it had something to do with Windows program. I haven't been able to find it since I ran across it before.  It was more updated than Google at my property.  It was on the old puter and I couldn't find it.  Anyone have any idea what it was?

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Don't think that was it but I will give it a try.  It wa s either Microsoft or Windows Earth something before.

MountainDon

Microsoft brought out Terraserver many years ago. It was the first place I ever saw with aerial images.

Redoverfarm

This was the site that I originally found Don that has a little better details than Terraserver I think.  If you haven't seen it before.

http://www.flashearth.com/

MountainDon

Redoverfarm

Don did you ever get a chance to look at the Flash Earth site.  I think the bookmark I sent you was the one of my house.  If you back out of it and look to the right there is a large clearing.  Just south a little is the cabin site.  It like the others will not let you zoom in enough to see but the house shows up pretty well.

MountainDon

I did have a look. The link came up with their main page. I did look for a couple local things, but their images were no better than the others I've tried/used.