taxes we pay...

Started by cbc58, February 12, 2008, 09:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

This list does not assume to be the complete list. Let us know if we have missed any.

Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax
Workers Compensation Tax
Social Security Tax
Medicare Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax
School Tax

Sales Taxes (State and Local)

Real Estate Tax
Property Tax
Building Permit Tax
Well Permit Tax
Septic Permit Tax
Utility Taxes
Severence Tax

Corporate Income Tax
Accounts Receivable Tax
Privilege Tax
Inventory Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel permit tax

Inheritance Tax
Interest Expense
Capital Gains Tax
IRS Penalties
IRS Interest Charges

Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes

Marriage License Tax
Service Charge Taxes

Telephone federal excise tax
Telephone federal universal service fee tax
Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes
Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax
Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax
Telephone state and local tax
Telephone usage charge tax

Vehicle Sales Tax
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Trailer registration tax
Road Toll Booth Taxes
Toll Bridge Taxes
Toll Tunnel Taxes
Watercraft registration Tax

Gasoline Tax

Road Usage Taxes (Truckers)

Dog License Tax
Fishing License Tax
Hunting License Tax
Cigarette Tax

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and our nation was the most prosperous in the world, had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids. What happened?

glenn kangiser

Politicians, lawyers, political greed, governmental greed fueled by the greedy little money grubbers who are in offices who can do no more than sit and scheme about other ways to take money from the working stiffs.

Please add to the list.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

You forgot one..

(well you have it listed under Telephone tax....but it is in other places too)

Excise tax. It is a little unknown tax that you find here and there taking pennies. I believe it has to do with the Spanish American War....Not sure seeing no one can tell me what the tax is for. You will find this tax at the time you sale your home. Sometimes you find this tax on a telephone bill.

Let me re look at your list, not sure I saw the death tax.

StinkerBell

I am just waiting for the tax "Being An American Citizen Tax" This tax will be sold to us as a tax for those of us who are so special. An Honor tax....

Then with the possibility of mandating medical insurance for all we will have the "Inhalation Tax" and the "Exhalation Tax"

Hmmm, maybe I should not say anymore, for fear I am giving people ideas.

ScottA

Quite a list but it gets worse. Most business figure their tax into what they charge for their product or service so they can calculate actual profits after taxes. So the reality is we pay their taxes too in the form of higher prices. I had accountant show me how this works once. You are even suposed to factor in inflation in your pricing. So say you want to make 10% on a $100 item the price is not $110 but $100 plus taxes, plus loss due to inflation while you stored the item, plus the 10% you wanted to make in profit. That $100 item ends up costing more like $114. You can't win unless you are the one collecting the tax.

StinkerBell

Hotel Tax,
Car Rental Tax,
Airline Ticket Tax.

cbc58

it gets even worse then that...

when a product is mfg, the cost of the materials and labor is often taxed along the various steps.  so if a company sells you a widget, and the widget is made up of 8-10 parts that they buy to put the widget together... it's taxed all along the way at many levels.

StinkerBell

Not sure about that last one cbc58, Maybe...

I know when we had our family AC hardware business we used our TIN for resale purposes. If we purchased things for resale we were not taxed, however I am not sure what the rules are for buying raw materials and manufacturing something out of them...

MountainDon

Materials that are purchased for manufacturing, or for direct resale, are not taxed to the purchasing business. Some materials like minerals, oil, may have extraction taxes applied. Everything else a business buys like paper for invoices, pens, tables for the lunch room, carpeting for the hallways, janitorial services, etc. has the city/county/state usual sales tax applied to it. Of course those are expensed against income. A business also pays an amount equal to your Social Security and Medicare deductions in the form of a tax on the corporation. The business will also pay into state and federal unemployment funds; another tax.

So all those taxes paid are simply charged to you and I, the consumer, when we buy their goods or services. Of course we then pay a tax on our purchase.

All those parts that company A buys from companies B through G, etc. are having all the same hidden and overt taxes paid by those companies added into the costs of those parts, as cbc58 pointed out.

As far as I'm concerned businesses should not be charged any of those taxes. It would be much more upfront and visible to the consumer if the taxes were paid when they bought the product or service. Consumers would be much more aware of the total tax amounts they pay if it was done that way.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

Regarding the additional 7% social security tax that is paid by the employer....This one  irritates me.
If I work as an independent contractor I need to pay the additional SS Tax. I believe it comes to 15%. BUT
When we get our yearly SS statement, that additional SS contribution is not added in. So, we are paying double the amount of SS and only getting credit for half, and to top that off we probably wont even see it.

I hope my rants are making sense

BTW

In two hours I go to met the CPA to get the 2007 TAXES done with. I am in a mood.

MountainDon

The FICA or Soc Sec tax rate is 6.2% from your payroll check with a matching 6.2% from the employer.

The MCARE or Medicare tax rate is 2.9% from your  payroll check with a matching amount from the employer.

They are calculated separately, not added together as 6.2 + 2.9, as far as doing the taxes as a business. It makes a slight difference when you're talking larger amounts.

When you are both the employer and employee, as you are viewed as an independent contractor or sole proprietor you pay both parts. That's the way it is.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

My numbers were a little off (about 2.6%). Yes that is the way it is...

BUT

I am complaining about the way it is. :heh

desdawg

If you happen to be a landlord some jurisdictions will charge you a rental tax. If you happen top be a contractor with equipment you may be charged a "Use Tax" for using your own equipment. I presume this will offset the fact that equipment isn't used on the highway so you are noty buying license plates and it is OK to use red (off highway) diesel which sells without a highway tax.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Sassy

Here's another tax they want to add to the list... 
Obama bill: $845 billion
more for global poverty
Democrat sponsors act OK'd by Senate panel
that would cost 0.7% of gross national product
Posted: February 14, 2008

Barak Obama

Sen. Barack Obama, perhaps giving America a preview of priorities he would pursue if elected president, is rejoicing over the Senate committee passage of a plan that could end up costing taxpayers billions of dollars in an attempt to reduce poverty in other nations.

The bill, called the Global Poverty Act, is the type of legislation, "We can – and must – make ... a priority," said Obama, a co-sponsor.

It would demand that the president develop "and implement" a policy to "cut extreme global poverty in half by 2015 through aid, trade, debt relief" and other programs.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=56405
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ScottA

Poverty relief...yeah right. This is another one of those say one thing do something else programs. No one will be less poor as result of this program but you can rest easy knowing someone will be more rich. You've got to wonder what they are thinking when America has plenty of poor people of its own to help without shipping the money overseas.

glenn kangiser

Osama is a Muslim. ;)  Gotta send the money back home.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

I just got my tax bill for the year it went up $445.00 and nothing was added to the place! Guess they get more or have been selling places around me for more money?? Mark

glenn kangiser

Call them or go in and get and explanation - protest - argue.  Sassy sometimes does that -- with them -- never with me ::) and she actually gets them to lower the rate sometimes. 

Pay it without question and you will pay it without question. d*

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 20, 2008, 12:01:51 AM
Call them or go in and get and explanation - protest - argue.  Sassy sometimes does that -- with them -- never with me ::) and she actually gets them to lower the rate sometimes. 

Pay it without question and you will pay it without question. d*
I plan to and forgot to go in today after talking to the building inspector. It is total bullcrap!! Mark

MountainDon

Did the assessed value go up or just the dollar amount of the tax?

Willy

Quote from: MountainDon on February 20, 2008, 01:05:14 AM
Did the assessed value go up or just the dollar amount of the tax?
Both went up for some reason. I have not added anything to the place either? The increased the value of the land and added $57,000.00 to my buildings? Mark

MountainDon

It'll be interesting to hear what they say.

The assessed evaluation can be upped if other "similar" properties have been resold at increasing prices. They figure your place is worth more as well. In some locales the amount of that increase is limited by law. Example, here in my NM county the increase in property tax, on property that has not changed hands can increase by a maximum of 3% a year. It's law. However, if it sells for 2, 3 or 4 times the previous sale amount the assessed value will change accordingly and the taxes will jump by an exceptionally large amount. That's a bummer especially for someone who may have owned a property for 23 years as we have. IF we decided to sell and move into a smaller home, now that there are no kids, the property taxes on the smaller home would be greater. Greater by enough to make us wonder what the best thing to do is.  ???

There are lots of other variables they can throw into the mix too.

Here most disputes filed within the assessment appeal time result in values being lowered, so it's worth the process.

G/L

glenn kangiser

Sassy

Here's the latest "Straight Talk" by Ron Paul...  on where our taxes are going...  (besides the war industry  >:( )

If We Subsidize Them...

For decades we have welcomed new immigrants to our American "melting pot".  We respect those who come here peacefully to pursue their American Dream.  But Americans have noticed lately that modern problems associated with illegal immigration are at a crisis point.  Taxpayers are now suffering the consequences.

Costs of social services for the estimated 21 million illegal immigrants in this country are approaching $400 billion.  We educate 4.2 million children of illegals at a cost of $13.8 billion.  There have been almost 2 million anchor babies born in this country since 2002, with labor and delivery costs of between $3 and 6 billion.  There are currently 360,000 illegals in our prisons and we have spent $1.4 billion to incarcerate them since 2001.  In Prince William County near DC, ICE can't deport criminal illegals fast enough and has actually asked its local jails to slow down on referring them.  Jurisdiction over illegal immigration lies at the federal level, yet many municipalities are struggling with the compounding problems of mandated costs and tied hands.  My office has heard from at least one sheriff in my district considering seeking compensation from the Federal government for the cost of so many illegal immigrant inmates that wouldn't be here if the Federal government was doing its job and protecting our borders.  The problems are widespread.

One thing is certain:  If we subsidize them, they will come.  We have rolled out the social services red carpet, so it is no surprise that many from other countries are eager to come take advantage of our very generous system.

We must return to the American principle of personal responsibility.  We must expect those who come here to take care of themselves and respect our laws.  Not only is this the right thing to do for our overtaxed citizens, but we simply have no choice.  We can't afford these policies anymore.  Since we are $60 trillion in debt, there should be no taxpayer-paid benefits for non-citizens.  My bill, the Social Security for American Citizens Only Act, stops non-citizens from collecting Social Security Benefits.  This bill, by the way, picked up three new cosponsors this week and is gaining momentum.   Also, we should not be awarding automatic citizenship to children born here minutes after their mothers illegally cross the border.  It just doesn't make sense.  The practice of birthright citizenship is an aberration of the original intent of the 14th amendment, the purpose of which was never to allow lawbreakers to bleed taxpayers of welfare benefits.  I have introduced HJ Res 46 to address this loophole.  Other Western countries such as Australia , France , and England have stopped birth-right citizenship.  It is only reasonable that we do the same.  We must also empower local and state officials to deal with problems the Federal government can't or won't address.  Actions like this are a matter of national security at this point.

Illegal immigration is draining and frustrating the American taxpayer.  I will continue to work for a solution that does not reward those who break our laws.   http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2008/tst021708.htm
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

rwanders

Didn't see mention of one of the most insidious taxes of all---the Alternative Minimum Tax. It was established several years ago to ensure that "rich" people always paid some tax---"would only be applied to about 200 families". It now hits millions of middle-class people. to illustrate it's impact----for 2007 our federal income tax (NOT including social security or medicare taxes) came to $78,890.00!). Part of it includes about $2000 due to the AMT. We own 2 1/2 acres in Florida that is about to be taken by the state for a new highway. We will probably net about $42000 for it. If it had happened in 2007, we would have had to pay $6100 in Capital Gains Tax and then (according to our accountant) the dreaded AMT would have added an additional $26,000 to our tax bill thus taking over $28000 of our $42,000 " profit" in federal taxes. Supposedly the AMT was aimed at people who were able to take advantage of all sorts of exotic deductions and tax shelters. I have no deductions other that the "standard deduction of $11,500" and our two personal exemptions. Be very careful of how you receive large capital gains---Uncle Sam and his AMT tax would make your local Mafia extortionist green with envy.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida