Developers and Local Gov can now take your home

Started by glenn kangiser, June 29, 2005, 09:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

Also, just North of that area on the other side of Loop 820.
One person held out and won his right to keep his land and house.
The city allowed a new shopping center to be built around his property. 15 large stores were within 300 feet of his house. His property was totally surrounded by parking for the mini-mall.

It was a very sad situation for him the constant noise and lights made him sell about 5 years later.

It was bull dozed down and 60 extra parking spots where added...    Progress at its finest.

Okie_Bob

Jimmy, you remember correctly. If you hear when the show will be on tv, please let me know as I'd love to watch it too. Can't wait to hear the spin they are putting on how good the confiscation was for the city!!! Probably not a thing about how hard it was for the poor home owners that were displaced! I wonder how those people are doing now. The whole thing makes me furious and the Cowboy deal is no better.
So, where are you building now? My place is on Cedar Creek Lake.
Okie Bob

Jimmy C.

I will try to find out about that show Bob.
Cedar Creek lake Huh? Very Nice area!

I am building a little at a time every other weekend or so about 20 miles East of Quitman, Texas in Raintree Lake Estates. It was a some sort of Campground in the early 70s until the oil business went under. At one time many years ago there was a Yogi the bear statue at the entrance.
My mother in law snapped up about 10 one-acre lots a few years back at 500.00 each. She sold my wife and I one for 1000.00.

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Leo

In our little town ,the scumbags buy 100 +year old houses in this historical district and level them before oppositon can block it ,just down the street there was a nice victorian house when I went to kentucky 11 days ago, now theres dirt and angry letters to the editors of the local rag.These are the type that would love to grab property FOR THE COMMUNITY GOOD and there on pockets.You can bet this has there mouths watering.what they destroy can't be replaced.

glenn kangiser

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2005/09/325009.shtml

How wonderful that the eminent domain law was made before N.O. flooded.  Now they can get it cheap and get resisters out of the way. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

I think that some of the southern states have already passed laws to prevent eminent domain seizures except for gov't projects (splitting neighborhoods for an interstatate, for instance  ::) )

Don't know if Louisiana was one of them.  But the big problem may be land speculators.

Here's a breakdown of residential property by owner-occupied, price, etc. from the LA Times.  (dumb question--how could you have 46% owner-occupied if none of the price categories are over 27%?  Something is screwed up.)

LA times published this first, but they do require registration, so the link to the republished story is here:

http://www.guerrillanews.com/headlines/4917/Speculators_Rush_to_New_Orleans_Blacks_Fear_Gentrification

Rent versus own in the city of New Orleans

Renter-occupied 53.2%

Owner-occupied 46.8%

Vacant versus occupied in the city of New Orleans

Occupied 84.8%

Vacant 15.2%

Percentage of owner-occupied homes in each price range in the city in 2004

Under $50,000: 5.6%

$50,000-$99,999: 27.0%

$100,000-$149,999: 24.2%

$150,000-$199,999: 18.4%

$200,000-$299,999: 14.4%

$300,000-$499,999: 6.5%

$500,000 and over: 3.9%

Amanda_931

Drudge report linked to this this afternoon:

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20051006-120902-5838r.htm

QuoteThe District will begin using eminent domain to acquire parcels of land at the site of the Washington Nationals' ballpark by the end of this month, after unsuccessful negotiations with nearly half of the landowners.
   City officials said they expect to file court documents to take over at least some of the 21-acre site in the coming weeks and have $97 million set aside to buy the properties and help landowners relocate.
   The city made offers to all 23 landowners on the site last month but received no response from 10.
   "We think there are some that we'll have good-faith negotiations with," said Steve Green, director of development in the office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development. "There are some we haven't heard from at all."
   Many property owners on the site said the city's offers are inadequate. Others are suing the city on the grounds that it has no right to use eminent domain to acquire land at the site, despite a Supreme Court ruling affirming the right of municipal governments to take private property for the purpose of economic development.
   In April, the city notified property owners on the site that they would be required to move out by Dec. 31.
   City officials said the District is on target to have title on all of the land by that date, but they don't expect to have full possession of the site until early next year, with construction on the $535 million stadium to begin in March. That would give the construction team, led by Clark Construction Group of Bethesda, about two years to build the ballpark in time for Opening Day of 2008.
   Officials said that timetable remains realistic. Clark built the 80,000-seat FedEx Field, home of the Washington Redskins, in less time.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Peter Ross

The people that live and work in America today are living a lie...Our grandfathers fought in WWII for the ideal of freedom...Because they believed they were making the world a better place.

My Grandfather told me before he died when he could not get a building permit to build a workshop....That this was not the freedom he spent 5 years overseas fighting for.

He told me that if people in 1939 knew what rights or lack of them people would have never volunteered so readily to fight in the war

Property taxes...Zoning laws...You have to get permission to build on your own land...And you have no right to keep your land...They can just take it away from you.

What part of freedom fits into that.

We all tell ourselves that in Venezuela or Iraq that The American way is better and when we go in and blow up one of these countries...We say it is for the best because it will be rebuilt in the American Mold.

Are we so sure that this is heaven on earth?

-Peter

glenn-k

I don't believe  the "Take care of me generation" even has a clue as to the amount of rights we have lost in the last 5 years with more in the works to be taken away each day, Peter.

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=9048

My great and great-great grandparents didn't come here because they agreed with what is happening here today, in fact they fled from nearly the same situation as allowed by the rights losses mentioned in the above article.

A lady who fled Nazi Germany because she was non-aryan told me she gets chills each time she hears the words Fatherland Homeland Security.

Now the Pentagon is using trickery to get people to re-enlist offering $15000 tax free bonuses, then after the signing, saying -- oh-- by the way -- April Fool.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/247264_guardx05.html

Quote from above article:

According to a state Guard spokesman, Maj. Phil Osterli, at least 15 Washington National Guardsmen and women signed re-enlistment forms promising them a tax-free $15,000 bonus in return. Many of them were stationed in Iraq at the time, he said.

But Pentagon officials have said in published reports that the bonuses were canceled because they duplicated other programs and were prohibited.

What a reward for offering your life to fight a war based on lies -- oh-- wait a minute---- I get it now  --to be continued------------unless somehow someone figures out a way to stop it.

Losing your home -losing your money - losing your life.  All part of a continuing pattern of corruption.

Amanda_931

I think y'all just don't watch enough Fox News.

::)

(of course I can't watch TV at all here--not through-the air, not cable, not satellite)

glenn-k

You are so lucky, Amanda.  You must be living right.  No TV. ;D

I have it but refuse to watch it.  I'd rather get my news from the conspiracy channels on the net.  Note I did not add the word "theory" to the word "Conspiracy". ;D  Even the sitcoms and general entertainment are geared toward propaganda and dumbing down.  

I don't need anymore dumbing down.  Take that any way it suits you. :)

benevolance

Glenn,

The funny thing about loss of rights is that if you decide you do not want to play by these militaristic rules and surrender all of your rights and freedoms...

Soon enough they will come and round you up...So that you will no longer influence anyone else into standing up for themselves.

My wife and I want to buy land in Tennessee...It is cheaper than the mountains of NC and there is still a lot of remote places in the high mountains that are not Zoned.

I buy and sell classic cars as a hobby...And I bought a car from a guy in the middle of nowhere on top of the mountains in Western North Carolina...No Zoning there.

Wouldn't you know the government has stated their intent to start surveying and making records...The people there are pretty upset about it.

I want to get a piece of land pretty quick in a place with no Zoning laws...that way I can build what i want and not have to answer to the building inspector.

Here in Upstate South Carolina it is ridiculous what they make you do to put up a "Baby Barn"

Back to freedoms...When the Homeland Security folloishness was getting started and the Patriot Act was passed ...A lot of 80 year old people were getting brought in for interrogation.... We all complain about the government...And 80 year old people are extra cranky....So when a 80 year old would say to hell with Bush....the next thing you know he was in a 8 x 10 cell

Some freedom we have here....

What about the beutiful thing they came up with....That they no longer need a warrant to search your property or to conduct surveillance on you...

Democracy at it's finest there I tell you

Trust me Glenn I know of the freedoms that have been lost...

I bought a 100 year old house a few Years back in Canada and tried to have it moved onto a piece of land I bought.

I got moving permits for over sized loads...We were going to cut the house it was a colonial Salt box...28 x 44 full basement... 2 and 1/2 stories...Hardwood floors, marble counter tops...crystal chandeliers...Real wood doors in every room...Cast iron radiators in every room...It was all real wood...Groove and tongue boards the whole thing.... Gorgeous...

Got the house for $10,000 and it was going to cost $30,000 to get the foundation poured.. house moved and put back together with all new insulation and upgraded wiring...

But they would not let me do it...

They wanted $6,000 in building permits... I refused because I said the building permit was already paid for 100 years ago

They eventually revoked my moving permits for the house and I had to resell it to someone else.

I spent 12 hours a day for a month trying to make it work...I called counsellors at home knocked on doors and even got the county to have a special meeting...Just to shut me up....

In the end I was not allowed.

Some freedom I had....

So yeah I have known for a long time that we are allowed to do what they tell us....

First they try to get you onto the payment for life debt plan (starting in university)

Then they do away with Cash...Bring about debit cards and credit cards... ATM machines... so they can figure out how people spend money and restructure the economy accordingly to generate more tax dollars

In Canada they did away with the Thousand Dollar Bill.... I know it is one small thing....But in my lifetime (30 years) it has been non stop one small thing after another..... Continuous!

I used to lean to the right in politics...Like to think I still do...But Bush and his cronies are so fanatical that 90% of the right are portrayed as liberal sympathizers...

Thank god that he only has 3 years left...And he has made such a mess of everything he has touched that This country cannot  and will not stand for another fanatical right wing lunatic.

Maybe with a new leader we can push for abolishment of things like the Patriot act...And push for more individual rights and freedoms...

And if we are dreaming...we can get the eminent domain abolished while we are at it...

Is it too much to ask for building inspector abolishment too?

-Peter

glenn-k

I know exactly what you are talking about, Peter and am not under any illusion that they can't find me if they want me.  I don't think I'm a big enough fish for them yet but even if I am, I feel I should voice my objections and try to get others to quit hiding in fear, open their eyes and really become aware of what's going on.

When headlines like the one below come out I would like people to think of what it really means.  Yes, the men in black may soon be coming to a home near you.  I knew common city policemen in a small town who carried a spare gun in the trunk in case they made a boo-boo and had to plant it.  What can happen when men are given power that makes them above questioning, and you have no right to representation.  They still put their pants on one leg at a time the last time I checked -even "W" does, but the old saying holds true, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."  Lord Acton- British Historian

FBI mines records of ordinary Americans
Under Patriot Act, feds probe lives of residents not alleged to be terrorists

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9939709

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/05/AR2005110501366.html?nav=hcmodule

It seems that this should be posted under the Parallels In Time thread, as it is a very close parallel.

Quoting from Wikipedia,

The role of the Gestapo was to investigate and combat "all tendencies dangerous to the State." It had the authority to investigate treason, espionage and sabotage cases, and cases of criminal attacks on the Nazi Party and on Germany.

The law had been changed in such a way that the Gestapo's actions were not subject to judicial review. Nazi jurist Dr. Werner Best stated, "As long as the [Gestapo] ... carries out the will of the leadership, it is acting legally." The Gestapo was specifically exempted from responsibility to administrative courts, where citizens normally could sue the state to conform to laws.

The power of the Gestapo most open to misuse was "Schutzhaft" or "protective custody" — a euphemism for the power to imprison people without judicial proceedings, typically in concentration camps. The person imprisoned even had to sign his or her own Schutzhaftbefehl, the document declaring that the person desired to be imprisoned. Normally this signature was forced by beatings and torture.

More fine reading here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestapo

As far as building inspectors go, I know some good ones, and don't have a problem with them protecting the paying public - the ones who won't or can't DIY, from unscrupulous contractors, but I think an owner builder has the right to build his castle or ghetto and provide shelter for his family in whatever manner his resources will allow as long as it doesn't put the public at risk.

I don't take sides with politics - I don't like any of them and  feel that we lose no matter who is there.  Figureheads don't dictate policy.  They only forward agendas and if they get too far out of line, they are eliminated or removed.

An air lines security insider remarked to me after 9/11 that he couldn't believe the powers that be would go that far (killing thousands of innocents) to forward their agenda.  He wasn't talking about the "Arab Hijackers".

That's another part of why they feel they can simply take your land if they want it.  The lives of the common people mean nothing to them.  You are your social security number.  

......but a slight glimmer of hope --some are showing a semblance of having at least a bit of decency--- will it go anywhere  ???

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2005/11/03/national/w154446S12.DTL

benevolance

Amazing what is being done to Joe Sixpack...And For the most part..Joe Sixpack just accepts it and moves on...Unaware that every single one of his fundamental rights and freedoms are being stripped from him...

It is sickening to see leaders like Bush push the flag...As he did when justifying the war in Iraq...Talking about the fundamental right of freedom for the Iraqi People...and people in America are being raped of their fundamental rights and freedoms...

God bless America indeed...Just once I would like someone like bush to speak of freedom and have a point or not be a hippocrit.

-Peter Ross

glenn-k

I don't like any of them left -right -upside down or rightside up--

They are constantly trying to find ways to relieve you of your property.  Around here, word travels fast so many of the people hit the appropriate town meetings and help to stop some of this illegal outrageous action.

benevolance

Usually less is more...

Less government or government involvement equals less taxes and more individual freedoms.

as a rule I find...

If there was only a way to engage a star trek like cloacking shield over our land so we could build what we want and not have to worry about people trying to stop us or fretting that they have missed out on a chance to tax us yet again

-Peter

keyholefarmhouse

"Less seems to be more"  Seems to be about the only guide line on picking any kind of official.  Promise me you will make government cuts, period.  No more looking out for anyone please.  Give the ------- a buck and expect two worth of problems.  Don't buy into a good plan.  $ is best kept and used by the individual who earned it.  Create a product or provide a service.  No redistribution please.  Please put the book " Little Red Hen " on the book list.

glenn-k

In a search I was doing today I came across this article that is the best explanation of how we got where we are, with the ability to have our property taken by state, that I have seen.

Note that I have not read all of it as it is very lengthy.  Things are explained using easy to understand examples.

Have a read and see if some lights don't come on.;D

Rothbard Article http://www.mises.org/easaran/chap3.asp

benevolance

Glenn

you bringing up the point that when you apply for permits they make you sign waivers forcing you to give up all your legal rights...

I have as of yet in my life to file for income tax...There is a law in Canada called Magna Carta...that comes from british common law that still applies in Canada. (though they are trying to close the loophole)

Anyways  the first time you file for income tax in Canada you actually volunteer yourself into the system...many people in Canada call me retarded and insane...But Revenue canada has never so much as called me in the 16 years I have made enough to file for income tax... Gee I wonder why

I am not violating my rights as a citizen...your no trespassing sign is perfect in my humble opinion...

If only such a thing were appliciable in Canada!

-Peter

glenn-k

I haven't come across anything that applies to Canada, but will watch for it.

Even though there are laws to protect our rights we have to know them to have the benefit of their protection.   It isn't automatic.

The above article by Rothbard is generic and applies to all types of states or countries.

benevolance

Glenn

I know what you are talking about when you talk about the IRS being ruthless

In Canada..Revenue Canada (IRS equivalent) will smash down your door, and seize your property all without a warrant if they feel at any time you are trying to do anything that would lessen their ability to collect taxes from you

There is a loophole in the wordhole in Common law in Canada adapted from the Magna Carta...And when people try to denounce paying taxes revenue Canada will try to force them to comply...Threaten jail and property seizure etc...Expect to be hauled into court.

Luckily In North America we have a very powerful tool called the law of Precedent...So when someone is successful in proving that they do not have to pay taxes...It becomes easier for another...They can use the success of previous people as evidence their claims have merit.

That is the path that is being used by many in Canada and I suspect that in America as well people that decide to take on hamburger hill use the success of others as legal evidence for their claims.

The constitution and declaration of independance are remarkable documents...Sad that people do not read them study them and know them to understand the kind of freedoms that they are supposed to have!

Okay I am getting down off the soapbox

-Peter

jonseyhay

Considering the discussion I thought you all may be interested in this.
http://www.commondreams.org/views05/1118-23.htm

jonesy ;)

glenn-k

Thanks for the link to that story Jonesy.  I'm sure it won't be allowed to benefit individuals -- but wait a minute -- corporations are viewed as individuals.  Can't live with 'em - can't live without 'em -----he says as he types on his HP computer made in China and supported in India.

Maybe that's the plan - take our home and land then outsource us.