Getting Closer

Started by DaveOrr, March 12, 2015, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveOrr

Quote from: tommytebco on July 03, 2015, 07:46:18 AM
You are the king of "G it'er done"!!!

I've been watching your website every day saying "Surely it's thawed by now!!" Living in Florida, it's hard to imagine such long winters.

Need to update that, probably won't be until next month when vacation is over.  ;)
Florida is nice, except for all the heat and humidity. :D
I have friends in the Tampa Bay area and spend some time down there chasing fish with them.  [cool]
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

DaveOrr

Got most of the framing between the piers done today, just need to do the blocking @ the bottom.

Redoverfarm

Dave just wondering why you did not notch your post to accept your band/rim joist?  Can't tell from the photographs maybe you did.

DaveOrr

Quote from: Redoverfarm on July 05, 2015, 06:19:26 PM
Dave just wondering why you did not notch your post to accept your band/rim joist?  Can't tell from the photographs maybe you did.

I did. You can see the notch in the shot of this corner post.   :)

And the notches for my center runs in this pic.

Redoverfarm

I didn't catch the pic of the post before attaching them. Been watching your progress but sometimes our internet is so bad that some of the photo's will not load.   The pictures afterwards was hard to tell.  Good job.  Looks as if you are about ready to go.

swethamohan

That's too hard to drive in an icy road.

midrover170

I think this is the photo that's kind of deceiving, Redoverfarm (I thought the same thing you did - pretty hard to see the notch in that post):

How long is your "vacation" Dave? Again, nice progress. Keep it up!

DaveOrr

Yeah the 6x6 posts up the middle just have small notches due to the fact that the end posts are 8x8's. Probably going to throw some 2x6 blocking under the 2x10's on the middle 2 posts.

I'm off on vacation until August 9th. Then I get to go back to work to relax!!!   :)

Between showers today I got all of the blocking done. I'm glad that job is over!!! What a pain in the butt.   :(

Floor joists are next!!!!
It's going to be nice working on a flat surface for a change!!!
While the level changes are good for my storage space design they sure are tough to deal with!!!!

Went back out after dinner and threw up a few floor joists.  ;D

DaveOrr

After pretty much getting rained out all day yesterday I gave it my all today and finished the floor joists and roughed in my double doors for crawl space access.

Had to take a pic from what will be the living room.
The view does not suck.   :)

rick91351

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

DaveOrr

I managed to get all that lousy over your head work finished today.
I get to start insulating the floor and laying down my sub floor tomorrow!!! 
Heading in to town on Tuesday to restock.
Running out of Advil!!!!   :)

rick91351

Quote from: DaveOrr on July 11, 2015, 10:56:08 PM

Running out of Advil!!!!   :)

Try a topical application of Crown Royal is that does not work take internally.  Here locally known Clown Oil - seems to do the trick.  See people all the time do weird stuff that have self - meded with it.......

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

DaveOrr

Will have to use rum instead!!!   ::)

Didn't get any floor stuff done today.
Back is killing from the last couple of days and it's blowing a gale here.
Didn't want to be handling 75# sheets of OSB sub flooring and get blown off the structure.
So I finished putting in my nailing blocks for the ends of the ceiling panels below and started sheathing the crawl space walls. Will try to finish it tomorrow but they are calling for rain all day.

They were doing a back burn on Harding Lake today as well. This was to choke off the South flank of the Hearn Lake fire.

DaveOrr

After a couple of days off it was back at er today.
Got the rest of my sheathing done on the crawl space walls and started getting the floor down and insulated. 3" Styrofoam SM for the first layer and 2 layers of R15 fiberglass on top for a total of R45 in the floor. Should have toasty tootsies.   
:)

grover

Maybe I missed it but being that remote, how are you getting internet and posting pics?  Looks beautiful there.

DaveOrr

Quote from: grover on July 16, 2015, 01:16:26 PM
Maybe I missed it but being that remote, how are you getting internet and posting pics?  Looks beautiful there.

I'm close enough to town to get a cell signal.  :)
11 miles as the crow flies between my place and the nearest cell tower.

kenhill

There must be some awesome fishing there....

rick91351

Back in the early seventies my dad and I almost bought a ranch up on the Lesser Slave Lake....  plus having traveled across BC and Alberta.  That said I was unaware of where you were really building until I seen Yellowknife on the map.  You are a long ways north.... Sort of wonder what it would have been like moving up there.  Mostly been Canadian citizens now.  Canada's early history I have studied a lot from stem to stern.  Was pretty sharp at one time on the Hudson's Bay and the North-westerners.  BTW they crafted a lot of the Pacific Northwest of America history as well.  Glad to really pin down where you are at....

DaveOrr

Quote from: rick91351 on July 17, 2015, 08:13:09 AM
Back in the early seventies my dad and I almost bought a ranch up on the Lesser Slave Lake....  plus having traveled across BC and Alberta.  That said I was unaware of where you were really building until I seen Yellowknife on the map.  You are a long ways north.... Sort of wonder what it would have been like moving up there.  Mostly been Canadian citizens now.  Canada's early history I have studied a lot from stem to stern.  Was pretty sharp at one time on the Hudson's Bay and the North-westerners.  BTW they crafted a lot of the Pacific Northwest of America history as well.  Glad to really pin down where you are at....

Yep, I'm North.   ;)
Head to Edmonton and then just another 1000 miles North and there I am!!!
   :)

DaveOrr

Just when you think you are good to go and the floor is just about done you.........................run out of insulation!!!!
About one bag short!!!  :(
Back to town on a suicide run to get a bag tomorrow so I can caulk, and paint the floor before getting on with the walls.

DaveOrr

Finally got the floor all done. Between taking a couple of days off to recoup and some weather delays it took longer than I had hoped.
Got it all insulated, joints caulked and it has a coat of paint on it to seal out the weather.
Tomorrow I start on the walls!!!  :)

Dave Sparks

Looking really good!  I have an offgrid client on one of the lakes outside of Yellowknife. He loves it there!  Good Luck!
"we go where the power lines don't"

DaveOrr

Got most of one of the long walls complete today.
Should have it finished and standing tomorrow as long as it's not too windy.  ;)

NathanS

The build looks awesome, and what an awesome view. I would love to live up there. I recently read "The Silence of the North," an autobiography of a woman that lived up thataway in the early-mid 20th century. It really sounded like the last frontier.

DaveOrr

Took longer than anticipated but got the big section 12'X16' of wall raised and the rest of the wall ready to go up. Ran into a couple of snags with my home made wall jack and had to do a little onsite re-engineering. Got er up single handed though.    :)