Interior trim tips.  Stain grade.

Started by PEG688, February 16, 2006, 10:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldDog

NICE WORK! I know I'm screaming again.

Got any tricks for staining end grain?

peg_688

QuoteHey Glenn and Peg, I had a little extra time this morning and was re-reading some old posts and stumbled on this one.
Was thinking it would be nice if Peg would add more to this with tips and ideas for trim, cabinets, etc?????
PLEASE!!!
Ok, I'm begging.
May have asked this before but, need to ask again. Peg, if cost was not that much an objective, what power tools would you really need to build cabinets and do trim work? I really want a good table saw and mitre saw that cuts up to 12 inchs..you know, the one that pushes as well as just cuts straight down? I think I really need both and need some help here justifying the expense!!! (know what I mean?) Home Depot has a real heavy cast iron base table saw that is around $600 and a DeWalt compound mitre saw for around $600 as well.  Obviously, I won't be building enough cabinets to justify the cost of these tools but, the idea is I can use them when I retire in a couple of years doing odd jobs and remodle jobs for other people. What do you think?
Okie Bob

#1: I just put about 45 minutes into a post and hit the wrong button and lost it  >:( I'll see if I can find a thread from another forum to bump you over to . Stinkin lap top ! Well it was my fault I hit the wrong thing !!! $#@% :-[

#2: Old dog ::

On end grain  you can try a sanding sealer it will reduce the stain penatration some what.   Or if it's possible cut a return on the end , like on a window apron ,

peg_688

Heres that thread ;;

http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=6936&highlight=Planing+figured+wood

It's a long one , old thread some of the photos are gone , as I must have "cleaned up" my photo bucket account , but theres still lots of tool / jig / explaining how I do some things in the shop.  And other opinions as well.

Hope it helps ,  G/L PEG

glenn-k

Did you try your forward or back button on your browser, PEG -- many times I have found my typing on the next or previous page. :(

peg_688

Ya I tryed the back button it was gone  :-[ :'( :'( :'( :'(

peg_688

QuoteI hate it when that happens. >:(

I drug across one of those ads above and the finger musta been to heavy , I hear ya   >:( A lot of work , POOF gone !

glenn-k

jraabe

I was losing work last week when the power keep resetting. Not that I don't do the same thing PEG does - click somewhere in the ethers and POOF! (the fan whisks it away).

I have to remember to follow my own advice. "Write awhile but post before you're done, then modify and save, read, modify and save again, repeat...

Got to get it off your desktop and onto the site. The site is more stable than any of our computers - especially the ones run by the [highlight]HUMANS[/highlight].  :)

glenn-k

I do that quite often too, John.  Now if only that fan was on. :-/

peg_688

How about a bigger window unit ,

Details

It all fit in or on the truck ,

Silent helpers hold the sill, ;D ;D Notice the rabbit so I don't have to plane the whole 1" thick stock to final fit against the windows, this is the bottom of the sill , all layout is on the back side , so when I cut it out the jig saw was riding on the under side of the sill , gives a cleaner cut on the top of the sill and no worries about the saw shoe scracthing the top either so a win , win.    

Hidden screws to attach sill to sub sill.

Don't look out the window to long  ;D

Lower surrounds set,

Upper surrounds set,

More details , kerfed to relieve stress / stop cupping / twisting .

Ready for paint , the sill and apron will be "bright" finished (natural/ clear finish ) they are both VG Fir , 18' - 1" long :o

Accually I have to plug the holes in the center mullion cover with 3/8" plugs , I screwed that one on as it gave me more "control " over setting it / pulling it up tight to the surround. So it's not really ready to paint , but it's close  ;)

glenn-k

Beauty, PEG.  Was that new construction or a remodel?  A great job as always.

peg_688

Thanks , Remodel , same place that last vanity went , the poplar / paint grade one.

Go some lighting trim to do , another vanity made like a old table, and a bench / bookshelf reading area they want me to do as well . All those will be stain grade / furinture grade pieces , not sure what woods we'll be using at this point , it will be some thing nice,  Cherry or  Rift cut /or  quarter sawn White Oak 8-)  

glenn-k

I assume your silent helpers above were to hold the sill in place for layout, marking and or scribing the exact size of the mullions so you could get a good fit? :-?

peg_688

Ya theres more photos I'll add to it later , I'm beat and it's way past my bed time  ;D

glenn-k

I'd hate to see you without your beauty sleep.  So - take off, hoser. :)

peg_688

Couple of more shots to flesh out the way it should be done  ;D

Lazer for line up , called a lazer jamb , pretty cool tool  8-)

The stuff on top of the truck I talked about earlier

Our back yard  :o glad the grass is burning up , less mowing  ;D

Protect that nice Rift/ qrt sawn white oak floor ,

The layout Glenn was asking about , all done at the shop off the storey pole I made , verifed at site BEFORE cutting ;D

Another hidden screw placed under the window surround side pieces  8-)

Will anyone "see" there are no nail holes , no MTL not , but they'll "see" that it looks really nice , for some reason ;)

Another lazer shot ,

At least I think it's a different shot , gotta check the photo #  

glenn-k

Thanks PEG -- you better go to sleep now --- your eyelids are getting heavy --- :o  SLEEP, sleep, sleep ::)

Seriously, PEG, you're not old enough to stay up this late. ;D

peg_688

Seriously, PEG, you're not old enough to stay up this late. ;D

No kidding  :o

peg_688

More window details ,

Before the mullion covers ,

1x5 head pieces, with a  1/2 x1 1/4 "screen mold " attached to the head piece.

Sides are 1x3 ( which I think should be 1x4 but eh it ain't my design or house) .

Sills are 5/4 x 6 or so .

Apron is 1x4.

All MDF (except the sceen molding) paint grade.

The same technics where used to set the surrounds and sills .  

glenn-k

Looks great, as usual, PEG...  and cool that you can remember the proper names for all those parts too.  Much better than I can do.  :)

peg_688

QuoteLooks great, as usual, PEG...  and cool that you can remember the proper names for all those parts too.  Much better than I can do.  :)

Thanks , if it where a diesel engine our roles would be reversed ;)

TBA

Beautiful craftsmanship PEG. Thanks for showing and detailing your work.

peg_688

Thanks TBA .

The client doesn't like them , even thought I drew her a stetch / drawing. So I'll be throwing those out and making new ones :-[   :'(

She thinks they are to " victorian"  ::)

The flip side is my boss , when he told me said "They don't look like her picture!"  I said , "PICTURE, you had a PICTURE??" Yes , appererently he did but didn't share it with me  >:(  ::)

Oh well it all pays the same  ::)  

Sassy

I guess she has a totally different idea of what looks good...  you did a wonderful job, PEG!   At least you get paid to change it... whatever the customer wants - as long as they pay for it!   ;)