Small cabin in Garrett County, Maryland

Started by jstig, June 01, 2008, 08:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soomb

Left Columbia in 2004, chasing a promotion... what is that saying about the grass is always greener... I lived in the section (name escapes me) where every road seems to have a Hemingway reference.  Torrent Row was mine (street).  Great little place.  I covered the Hospitals in Cumberland and can make that drive in my sleep!

Loranger:  to quote the Beatles "happiness is a warm gun"
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

jstig

Hey Soomb,

We were practically neighbors - I live on Majors Lane in a condo complex called Treover at the intersection of Majors Lane and Tamar Drive.

Jim

soomb

Quote from: jstig on October 13, 2008, 07:33:29 PM
Hey Soomb,

We were practically neighbors - I live on Majors Lane in a condo complex called Treover at the intersection of Majors Lane and Tamar Drive.

Jim
Hope I did not play the music too loud.  ;D

glenn kangiser

Wow -- looks like I'm  really catching it here.  Glad you guys were able to make use of the signs.  Now if you can also act like you are crazy it will really put the fear in them. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

soomb

that helps.  Push a baby carriage full of baloney sandwiches and introduce each one.  You should be dressed as A) Michale Jackson circa Thriller B)Baby New Year C)Vanessa Redgrave doing an impression of Winston Churchill doing an impression of J. Edgar Hoover.  Discuss the nutritional benefits of human flesh and how the "Group" is suppressing anyone who touts it.

You should enjoy a fair amount of solitude after that.

karnf

Just got back from our property in Oakland. The builder put up the 12x20 structure shell consisting of
6x6 posts. The plan was to use the pole barn concept: 12ft wide: 6" post on each end with a 20' 6x6
post in the middle to allow for the 12:12 roof pitch. The length: 6' post 10' apart. We then decided to
add another 4' to the length to allow for a porch. When I got there I was for a better word; disappointed.
He put the 20' post at the end of the structure which would make the structure now 12x24 which now I
would have to get a permit which I was trying to avoid. He should have put the 20' roof pitch pole at the
end of 20' not 24'. I hope you are not confused with my explanation. I am now restricted to the porch use
and trying to bring something in which this was suppose to look like a shed with a porch and it becomes
difficult to bring materials in with the small opening. I planned on putting a window in the middle of the
front but down if I opened the door I see a 6x6 pole. His answer was that he would just put a 20' post
at the end of 20' length. Can you imagine how difficult that would be since the metal roof is now up.
I took a chance with this guy because of the many times we gave blueprints to a garage we were going
to be built getting lost by builders and also no one showing up for the job.
I had thought about cutting the post from the top at about 4' and placing a cross bar to support the middle
beam to look like a timber frame type front on porch.
Not to mention the cost of the post($70) to be cut and the other orginal 16' post which had to be cut down
to 12' when the watchdog (HOA) saw what we were building and put up a stink.
Anyone out there have any suggestions? Please!