Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

They have much more of their own thinking, attitudes and personalities than I ever gave them credit for.  It is pretty amazing sometimes how intelligent they are....  [idea]

...but every so often they can pull something pretty dumb too... like running into a barbwire fence full speed ahead when they get spooked and don't see it.  A thousand pounds of meat makes a pretty effective fence wrecking tool at that point.... [waiting] 

Ed has done it two or three times in the last couple years.  d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

While waiting for my Tehachapi Hospital job to get going again we had a remove and replace stairways so they could replace two Sulfur Dioxide tanks on another customer project.  Nice to have a flexible schedule to be able to fit in the old regular customers... :)

For last weekend we had a wonderful group of international student guests... some returning ones we have known for a while, in fact a special extended family group... they call me grandpa.  [ouch]

They came, brought most of the food we ate and cooked it for us too... Cambodian, Vietnamese and Thai food.  So wonderful of them.  We have such wonderful extended family grandkids.

Cambodian Noodles

Yummy

... more food

This after cramming to get their college assignments done to come to grandpa's too... granddaughter Sodanin was the planner of this trip.

then the hike in the park... what a great bunch... we love them all.

We had 9 students and our leader buddy, Wally.  Full house? Naw... wish they would have stayed longer too...

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rick91351

Dang Glenn was about to send out a search team lookin' for you.  Glad to see there is other work for you and you are not having to sit and wait at the hospital.  Or on the street with a will weld for food sign.....   :D  As long as that is taking must be a gobberment job.    [waiting]

Good to see some of the kids return and enjoy....... [cool] You will make a lasting friendship with many. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

Hey Rick.. I have been back and forth but generally have not set  up my computer between moving around.  Posting to the forum from the phone is such a pain.  I sat the computer up last night when I got back to the job apartment....

Did my work today and just finished the job and got a call saying the concrete contractor I am subbing for is losing the contract under the "Cancel for Convenience" clause..... this of course will get me a cancel for convenience.

This is a clause the owner/engineering contractor running the job can use to not assign blame but get out of the contract.  What the owner is not realizing is that the concrete contractor has been tied up by the engineering contractor and OSHPD for answers for 3 or more months at a time.... can you spell scapegoat?  [noidea'

I have always been ahead of the allotted time on my part.  I am not trying to cover for the concrete contractor....sure there have been a few problems, but the major problems all stem from above and the bureaucracy and power trippers up there.  Oh well... I have been getting paid for what I have been doing though it will cause loss of profit and overhead for part of the project. 

Who knows... things could change or it will leave an opening for something better. :)

rick91351

Just seems to me that this whole hospital project is not running smooth and on task to say the least.  WOW you have left and worked on several projects.  Came back to a hive where nothing is happening.  Funny to me as most things now in this day and age.  The blue collar workers - the worker bees get starved and white hat - white shirted the drones suck up the honey as they micro manage what might occur and what if we get sued?  They ought to be sued for doing nothing and spending money that they do not have to spend.   And all the while the queen just keeps laying more drone cells.

So reading what I am reading you at this point in time are out because of a cement contractor who is out.  When it has been tied up between engineering and the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development ( OSHPD ).  ((Had to look that one up.))  Looks like it is running about as smooth as California and it power tripping government and now mix in Obama Care to an already broke system.

I am worried Idaho State runs in the black and to me that is good and it should be.  Now daily we are being salvoed by TV advertisements and special interest groups on social media and in print.  They are screaming we ought to be spending more for this and more for that.  Schools - health care - public lands - save the sage grouse - mental health care.  The list grows longer and longer.  Boils down to they are coming in here from out of state because it has worked so well in other places bankrupted those states and want us to be more California or Interstate 5 minded more social cause minded.  Fine show us where the money is going to come from.   Of course the only place is borrow - borrow - borrow.

My optimistic out look Glenn says it is for the best.  And something better will come along.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

My thoughts also Rick, but I am thinking of going by Tehachapi Healthcare district right now and letting them know that they are treating the symptoms... not the disease..  [waiting]

Don't know if I can make any progress there but it is a last ditch thing to do before I drive off into the sunset.  I kind of specialize in taking on problem jobs and salvaging them... but do I really want to try this? [noidea'

Likely no chance to get a hearing ear anyway but you never know unless you try.  Those who follow proper channels are blocked from access to the people who need to know.  I don't follow proper channels. [shocked]

rick91351

Might be 'fun' go down to the Healthcare district and sort of quiz them on what they see - add that to what you see.  Then rattle some more doors.  Then there are other issues  - are they on the take as well?  Do they want this to progress or are they satisfied with a beached super tanker of no use sitting there in the high desert.

The way things are going most places here in this country if it were back during WWII.  Not a Liberty Ship would been built, nor a Higgins Boat before we were invaded by the Axis powers.  B - 17   and P 51 and the Navy's Vought F4U Corsair would have been stalled waiting for palms to be greased and accounts fattened.  We here in Boise sat and watched the largest construction company in the world Morrison Knudsen Corporation turned in to the laughing stock of construction.  The wife of the CEO Bill Agee even had one of the planes fly her to the Vatican for a meeting with the Pope.  According to local news problem was there was no meeting scheduled and it was at share holder expense.  By then they could not even get bid on an out house. 

glenn kangiser

Hmmm I have worked on a school project by MK before --- in another life?  [noidea'

I just went there.  Talked to the boss's secretary.  I think he is a good guy and is working at a very low salary for his qualifications.  I hope that translates into really caring for the healthcare district.  His secretary said he was in a meeting but I could see that she was really concerned and was interested in having him talk to me.....

I also sent him an email this and she said she would have him check it.  It should at least raise a few eyebrows without incriminating anybody.  They need the people who are there and should not change horses in the middle of the stream.... they just need someone there who is not afraid to step on toes and shake the corporate chain of command....try to get (more) prompt answers... grab the feet of the corporate ladder and make the climbers hang on real tight.... [scared]

Someone just needs to make them behave.... [ouch]

May I help you..... ? 

Hope it's not too late.....  to be continued...... [waiting]

glenn kangiser

I don't know anything for sure yet on this project.  It seems the original contract may be gone but I received a schedule in the mail today. 

My foreman friend called and said something is in the works too... money to be made.... hmm

My regular company .... Suburban ... called and said I have 17 buildings and about 3 months work coming up in Los Angeles... I checked the job and ....yup... they are there... looks like starting around the first of July.  The foreman said there will be 8 of them ready to go shortly after that time.  [ouch]

On a good note, I did get paid for work to date through the 15th along with a great bonus....  :)

rick91351

Buddy I know work is work BUT LA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homey don't think south of Barstow - Yermo is suitable for habitation.

glenn kangiser

If it wasn't for a sizable amount of change.... I would feel the same way Rick. [shocked]

On a good note, I do have many international student friends and my son down there who I visit then.   [cool]

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on May 24, 2014, 12:17:09 PM
If it wasn't for a sizable amount of change.... I would feel the same way Rick. [shocked]

On a good note, I do have many international student friends and my son down there who I visit then.   [cool]

Just kidding Glenn -  Indeed go where the $$$ are at if you cant make a $ at home.  Lots to see and do down there.  We did spend a couple weeks down there winter before last and really enjoyed ourselves.  Caught up with some family and did some tourist stuff.

Hope things go better!  Something about the hospital does not set well.  Is it on the up and up or power struggles and strangles.  Down in Nampa they are building on to one there and seems like they are getting it done....    ;)

glenn kangiser

Looks to me like power struggles, blame shifting and scapegoating, Rick.... but maybe more than that.  [noidea'

The hospital district just realized that they are short $20,000,000 to put machinery in the completed building.  Who knows what else is going on behind the scenes... [ouch]

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on May 25, 2014, 10:31:21 PM
Looks to me like power struggles, blame shifting and scapegoating, Rick.... but maybe more than that.  [noidea'

The hospital district just realized that they are short $20,000,000 to put machinery in the completed building.  Who knows what else is going on behind the scenes... [ouch]

Only 20 million Obama Bucks?  Seems like they are qualified to go to DC.....

glenn kangiser

Maybe they intentionally forgot to get the people to approve of starting the project... then.. Oh... by the way....   [waiting]

I hope to go back to Asia this winter so picked up a new camera  so I could get started getting used to it.... Nikon D5300.

I wanted it because I insist on having GPS tagging on my pictures when traveling in foreign countries and places I don't know.  I can always find out where I took the picture, remember where I have been and increase the accuracy of US drone strikes on US citizens.... OK... so admittedly, they haven't got me yet.  :)

The D5300 has GPS and WIFI built in.  You can transfer pix directly to your smart phone for uploading on the net. I know... easier to take with the smart phone in the first place but, hey... it is a feature. [ouch]

Got the package at Costco for a good price then ordered the 18-300 zoom from Amazon so all ranges will be in one lens.... now I am getting attachments ... Macro.. wide angle in one lens... Polarizer... UV filter.. Other stepped Macro lenses... DSLR Gorillapod... then I can figure out how much I want to pack with me.  [shocked]

I like to do close ups. 

The above is a Mariposa Lily... only here for a short time......

rick91351

Glen I think you will like that camera.  Shoot it a lot to figure it out of course.  One of the great things about digital you can shoot all day and it does not cost you a dime for film and developing  really to improve your stuff.  I'm shooting a 5200 the 5300's older brother.  It is the same lens package from Costco. 

I shot these with it.  I have been too busy to do much right now.

I  really also like the Nikon Coolpix AW110 a little mini camera I got from Costco.  Waterproof and so fun to shoot.  If I am going 'walk about' I always grab it.  Fits in a shirt pocket.....  Pretty easy on the battery.

My private Yosemite -  Idaho  ;)

glenn kangiser

Wow... beautiful pix Rick......   I love them.  That is the kind of stuff I like to shoot.  :)

Played a bit with it but out of time for a little bit.  I got my 18-300 lens in yesterday or day before.  I love it as it covers the entire range of the two lenses.  No going, Oh, crap.. It is flying away and I need the other lens. 

For about $200 some of the other cameras could have the GPS added to them.  It was a requirement for me.  10,000 miles from home, I want to know later where that wonderful picture came from.  I was shooting as my friend was driving in Burma... no time for logging locations.  Bring the pics up on Picasa and you know where you were that day.  :)  I have about 10000 pictures from there of varying quality as we were driving and good to great quality as we were stopped. 

rick91351

The Coolpix AW110 has GPS not sure about the 5200 as I really do not like it and never want it on. 

Word to the wise who might go overseas and work with the under ground churches.  The real underground churches - the ones where you might get some one killed or imprisoned turn the GPS off.  Make sure it is off.  You get your camera confiscated it can be bad news.  When we were in and out of Asia we did not even want the date and time stamping on.  (I shot mostly film back then.)

I am going to start saving up some mad money for a good macro lens for the 5200.  There is a whole world out there for that...... ;)  If I am birding or looking for deer and elk that 55 by 300 is a pretty nice lens.  Oh I could invest in one that costs as much or more than the camera body or the camera package and still not be that much ahead.  I am finding software is a real plus it and pixels are the real key.   

Max the killer Pomeranian snow dog.  He just loves the snow and ice.

This is the photo I think I cropped the eagle head off of

The local nature photographer up here shoots with a older digital Canon with about two thirds of the lens on that 300mm

https://www.facebook.com/prairie.idaho?fref=ts   If you navigate facebook check out his bird and critter albums......  He does own a ghillie suit he uses a lot when he is going to go stake out some where.

One he took of me at the 4th of July Picnic last year. 

glenn kangiser

Cool stuff, Rick.  I am just shooting scenery pix for the most part but understand the underground churches problem.  I don't date and time stamp as I don't like them on my pix and can get that from the Metadata... the stuff drone strikes are targeted by... [waiting]

Also, some countries don't want you to bring GPS cameras into them - sensitive facilities, etc.  I have not had that problem yet though.  Almost any smart phone has GPS anymore.... seems the problem people will get them in there anyway to me.  [noidea'

OK.... so they haven't caught me anyway.

We have been working on a solar trailer to send a few of my solar panels up to Whitlock's place and get him some temporary solar power for a fridge.  I had 400 watts of solar panels sitting here as well as a spare controller.  Later he will put in a bigger system and we will bring this stuff back...

A pix from a different direction..

We used a trailer he had sitting around and other stuff we were able to scrounge around here.  I picked up new Golf Cart batteries from Costco which I can use later. 

MountainDon

Quote.....solar power for a fridge

That'll make Donya happy!!!!
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

We had it up, running and tested last night just before dark, Don.

In doing it. Whitlock was able to learn the basics and understand how it all worked together. 

You will never guess what the first useful job was for it.... She wanted to plug in her hair drier Whitlock said.   I think I got at least a couple Brownie Points there.  :)

Actually she is very appreciative and says whenever I need some of her homemade soap it is mine.  I have a decent collection of various flavors.   We always try to help each other out up here in the boonies... Yeah.... the Wild Wild West.   [waiting]

glenn kangiser

Finally called the General Engineering Contractor on the Tehachapi Hospital Job.  As I suspected it does have to go back out for rebid.  He wants me on the job if possible and will forward my information to the next concrete company who takes over.    [waiting]

It is probably 75% that I will get back on there and who knows... maybe in time to keep working after my other job is done... besides... my other job is flexible as I told them I was holding out time for Tehachapi anyway.  We will see...... the chickens may be hatching and waiting for me to count them.... :)

Talked to my friend in Burma... discussing American operations in their poppy fields.... he suggested I read this... found it in PDF.... so enlightening.  Posting it here for anyone interested.  Since the 1950's ....boy was I surprised...  [shocked]

He is a liaison between the government and the armed groups who control the poppy fields ...and our interests there....

http://knizky.mahdi.cz/52_Alfred_McCoy___The_politics_of_heroin_in_Southeast_Asia.pdf

astidham

I just noticed the white crab spider in the picture of the flower and the bee.  :o
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Adam Roby

Freaky... I never noticed it before you mentioned it.  Kind of creepy looking thing.

rick91351

I posted that to show Glenn what my little Nikon AW110 will do.  Great little pocket camera water proof and all.  I was watering in the orchard and seen this bee.  It was not moving it got my curiosity up.  I never seen that one before.  Seems like I read it takes about 10 hours for them to pull the nutrients from a bee or wasp.  I seen several others after that one.  This one was the most photogenic.   ;)  I was telling others about it - they never seen anything like it either.  My Olympus needed a cleaning and having metering problems.  So I grabbed the AW110 it was almost new I never knew what great camera it is.  It has its obvious lacks of lens but WOW not bad as you can see.....