What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Beef is no different than any other product which is priced regionally.  Maybe for you in that area was a pretty good deal.  Around here it usually sells processed for $1.80 -$2.00 a pound.  In essence the standing weight would have been about 1300 # which would sell for around $.75 to $.85 a pound.  Then the rail weight would have been 760 #.  The butchering and processsing fee then makes up the difference.

HoustonDave

Hand-made Peruvian tamales.  Corn meal filled with chicken, olive, hardboiled egg, aji (kinda like jalapeno) and various other yummy goodness.  We bought 20 from a local vendor and put the bulk in the freezer for later joy!
My lakefront cabin project in East Texas
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10025.0

Redoverfarm

Calling all Chef's.  I bought my wife a whole potato french fry cutter last year.  I have tried several variations to make them fry more solidly.  The heat is a fry daddy that is suppose to cook at 400 Deg.  I have tried drying them, bathing in ice water and semi-baking all to no avail.  What's the secret.  At Fairs and Festivals they are served all the time and are crisper than those that I have tried to make.  I remember that french fries (before frozen varities) were hand cut and fried in a skillet.  If you have any secrets that you would like to share feel free.

muldoon

red, you need an oil with a high temp burning point because you need the oil really really hot.  peanut oil is my favorite for fish fry time, let your fry daddy heat up for a full 15 minutes before dropping your taters in the grease.  enjoy.  (drying them is good because water/oil just splashes hot grease).  I have no idea what ice water does as you described it. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Red, I fry home fries in a cast iron skillet over medium/high heat, usually in a little bit of peanut oil or butter.  I let them turn golden brown before turning them.  They end up crispy and tasty.

Homegrown Tomatoes

We had pork chops, English peas, stir fried veggies, homemade rye bread, and peaches for dinner.  Every year, we designate January as the month we clean out the pantry/freezer before going grocery shopping again.  So far, I haven't been shopping since about two weeks before Christmas, but I'm really ready for some fresh veggies so I'll be really glad when we get to the bottom of our stash.  I've planned meals out of what we have left and got as far as the second week of February without running out of food, but I think I'm going to be bored silly with it by then.  There are lots of beans and cornmeal, but I'm running out of salt here shortly.  There isn't much left in the way of meat, but we're swimming in fish (dried, canned, frozen.)  Bored with it or not, we're determined to stick it out until the pantry is empty.  My kids are loving the variety in pancakes, though... blue corn crepes, buckwheat pancakes, oat pancakes, even rye and millet. 

glenn kangiser

We are working on eating ours down a bit, Homey, but Sassy keeps replenishing it when she comes back from the valley.

Tonight, Sassy made Berrocks, or Beerocks or what ever name you want to call them.  I picked a couple of fresh heads of cabbage today, so we pigged out.  [hungry]

Used up a few loaves of frozen dough from the freezer for that one too. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Tonight it was flowered and fried deer steak, fried potatoes and fried apples.   [hungry]  I guess that is enough artery clogging food for one week. ;)  I would have taken a picture but by the time I thought about it there was nothing left. ;D

rick91351

Wow John thanks! That really tripped the memory lane.  When I was a kid my mom loved to cook just that on cold stormy winter evenings for supper!  And I guess we loved to eat that as well.  [hungry]  She would also include baking powder biscuits with strawberry jam on the table and a lot of good old butter.  My mom passed away at 85, my dad is still alive and 95.  So I doubt it is going to kill you.  I nor my wife have taken a deer in the last several years.  But thinking about that at times sure makes me want to dust off the old 270 in the fall.  This year I will be retired by fall hopefully and gainfully unemployed.  We should have enough time then to do so and enjoy it with out being rushed and hurried, one of the reasons we sort of hung it up.  (Work came calling way to often!)  Thanks for triggering the memory bone.              
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight was kimchi fried rice, bulgogi, and about half a dozen Korean side dishes made up out of the stores in the pantry/freezer again.... included two kinds of dried radish pickles, fried dried anchovies, dried shrimp, kimchi, bellflower root, seaweed, etc.  Still will be really glad to get some fresh veggies, but we're STILL eating out of the pantry.  Guess the Korean food is for Lunar New Year, since it falls this week?
b

muldoon

What is anyone else doing for superbowl? 

I am starting with two briskets.  Outside marinate with my normal homeade recipe rub.  I then food processed some onions, garlic, bell peppers, and stuffed into cavities inside the brisket. 

then a nice fresh wild pig leg?  This came from a 75 pound sow, shot in December.  This ham was rubbed with a mix of olive oil, whisky, spice rub.  then wrapped (barded actually) in a weave of thick cut bacon. 

and here it is ready for the smoker later this evening. 

--
Those are my contributions to the party, aside there is sposed to be a few drunk chickens, a couple racks of ribs, a fatty, and a bunch of new york strip steaks.  Last I heard the planned head count for our party is 32 people. 

Sassy

Gee, you're fancy!  Those look like they will be really good [hungry]   That's a pretty big party!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

considerations

Homegrown Tomatoes

Very fancy... we consider it a "fancy" dinner if we all have matching plates.

Last night, we had homemade rye, baked salmon, corn on the cob, and salad.  It hit the spot.  Tonight, Mexi-chicken.

muldoon

The same chili from http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3439.msg125804#msg125804 
competed in a "real" chili competition today and took 2nd place non-traditional.  $250 prize money.  whoo-hoo! 

Sassy

Congrats!  I'll have to use some of those good spices & follow your recipe one of these days!  I like the blackened on steak.

glenn kangiser

That's great, muldoon.  Well deserved from the look of the great stuff you post here.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Congrats, Muldoon!

Tomorrow we're having a big crowd here: my cousin and his family of six, a friend, a friend's kid who is working to earn money for a missions trip, and possibly another family of four, plus my Mom and whoever else decides to just drop in (a very common thing around here.)  So, I've got two big pans of lasagna to pop in the oven, a huge salad, and will be making homemade caraway rye.  For breakfast and/or dessert, homemade apricot pastries.  Not sure who is showing up for breakfast and who won't be here until later, but might as well be prepared... sure it will all get eaten throughout the course of the day.  Rented an industrial size wood chipper and plan to make the best use of my eight hours with it possible.... tired of sitting in a kindling box with wildfires going on everywhere and some idiot setting fires every other day!  (I think by suppertime, I might be willing to order a massive order of steak tacos from our tiny local Mexican caterer....)

Sassy

That sounds good, HG!  Can we come over too? 

Sorry to hear about the fires...  we had someone setting fires in 2008 - inconceivable how someone could do that  >:(

Those steak tacos sound good too  :)  Guess you will have worked up a mighty appetite after shredding for 8 hrs  c*  I need to weed eat around here again - with all the rain, the grass & weeds have all grown up again.

We're having a bunch of international students from Univ S. Cal (USC) possibly 40-50 that will be visiting our little church/resource center this weekend (arrive tonite).  Anyway, I have to work this weekend so Glenn will have to make the breakfasts.  We have lots of organic potatoes his mom brought down from the Klamath Falls area in Oregon on their way down to visit.  So fried potatoes w/red onions, eggs from our chickens & SPAM the healthy mystery meat  rofl  Easier & faster than bacon.  If we have some Muslim students then he'll fry some hamburger patties instead.

I have a big pizza in the freezer from Costco & he'll make saffron basmati rice to take to the pot luck (pot blessing?) after church on Sunday.  It's always a busy weekend.  He usually takes several students up to Yosemite where the group sitesees & hikes up a trail to the top of one of the waterfalls.  He can still make it up there but I can't hardly hike anymore so don't go most of the time.  I used to go camping & hiking up there several times a summer when I was younger...  it's so beautiful.  When the weather gets warmer I'll go up too.  It was forecasted to snow all week & only 35 degrees on Sunday - brrrr. 

apiratelooksat40

This weekend's going to be a belated St. Patrick's Day dinner with the extended family.  I have a whole brisket and whole eye of the round corning in the fridge.  We'll do the whole thing in the turkey fryer with all the Veg, and my wife's Irish Soda Bread recipe reconstructed from her mother's "across the pond".  Sunday is going to be Corned Beef Hash & Eggs Benedict (home made English Muffins) with my first attempt at Rashers on the side.   c*
Last Night....
I Shot 6 Holes in my Freezer
I think I've got Cabin Fever
Somebody Sound the Alarm....

StinkerBell

I am making Chicken Waldorf Salad.
I started yesterday and sliced up some chicken breast. I must admit chicken breast seem to be getting bigger then chickens themself. I decided the chickens must have been from california....

I sliced up 2 1/2 pounds of chicken and let it marinate over night in the fridge. It marinated in olive oil, ginger, garlic and lemon juice.

This afternoon I poached/boiled the meat and let cool. I then dressed the meat with Mayo, salt & Pepper, granny smith apple pieces, celery, red grapes and a splash of fresh lemon juice. I might or might not add wal nuts or cashews.

I had a little for lunch and it was yummy. Looking forward to dinner tonight.

Sassy

Sounds good!  I remember the 1st time I made Waldorf salad...   heh heh  I put the apples, walnuts, lettuce, sweet dressing and anchovies!!!   :o  Someone had told me the recipe & somehow, I'd heard  anchovies - I didn't think it sounded good but thought, "oh well, I guess it's supposed to be in there..."  you should have seen the faces of those that ate it!   [rofl2] rofl d*

Homegrown Tomatoes

Oh Sassy!  That's hilarious!!  Sounds almost like something someone would do on purpose as a practical joke.  :) 

Homegrown Tomatoes

And Stink, are you saying happy roosters live in California? d*

Sassy

We had a huge potluck yesterday after church for the students.  Too many things to name!  Homegrown, got my 1st taste of kimchi - it was delicious!  I was warned that it would be hot - but I like hot & spicy - didn't seem hot to me but Glenn tried it too & he started  sweating & drinking water   heh rofl