What's In Your Doomsday Kit?

Started by MountainDon, September 11, 2008, 12:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Peternap made me think of this from a post in another topic.

Some of us may have "doomsday" or as Peter calls his, an end of the world kit. Or two or three...  I simply have thought of mine as emergency kits. Based on a first aid kit I have several, one at home, one in the car, the jeep and he RV. The one in the RV will liely be moved to the cabin as it is occupied. I don't know what we'll do with the RV eventually; I have no desire to feed its 8 mpg habit with $4 a gallon gas.

Anyhow I have some things I have added to the usual array found in a good first aid kit.

One is a bleeding stop powder and special pressure pads with the blood stopper agent built in. hey are good for stopping bleeding on large wounds. One name is Celox, available as a powder. Another is QR; that's the one I have that combines the powder with a large pressure pad. Another brand is Quickclot.

Another item is antibiotics. Antibiotics such as Amoxicillin and Cephalexin may be purchased from vet suppliers without an Rx. I'm not condoning self medication, but if your aim is to stock some antibiotics for emergency use.....   Cal Vet Supply is one mail order supplier. They come labeled for fish tank use, but they are regular pharmaceutical grade.

I also have a "thing" about flashlights. I be;lieve you can never have too many. I have had Mag-Lites in several sizes for years. I've recently converted a couple of the AA variety to LED's using a kit from Niteize. The one I like replaces the lamp and reflector with a 1 watt LED and includes a replacement end cap for one with a 5 position switch; full power, 50%, 25% and two flasjing rates.

I also absolutely love the Surefire lights. I have one small pocketable flashlight and a rifle/handgun mount light.

What's in your kit?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

I have three types of kits and a number of each. The ones that I carry, either in my pack or on the Whizzer or Motorcycle, are small. Asprin in case of a heart attack, bandaids, alcohol pads, moleskin,wire, a bicycle supertool, knife, electrical tape and a small amount of duct tape and superglue, space blanket, Pelican mightylite. (I have a Surefire I carry all the time)

The bigger kits are big. Hemostats, scalpels, probes suture kits, Betadine, Atropine, several pain killers, surgical stapler, BP Cuff, stethoscope, OTC cold medicine, antibiotics, an assortment of bandages,superglue, boxcutter, diamond rope saw, complete tool kit, hatchet, knife, Cholorox, an assortment of rechargeable batteries and charger, rope. climbing gear, flares, a .22 handgun and ammunition, Carbide and carbide light, one hundred dollars cash, firestarter, an old cell phone and charger, duct tape, dehydrated food for two, for a week, space blankets, jumper cables, collapsible water/gas jug, water filter, sun block, sun glasses, reading glasses, disposable rain suits, surgical masks, JB Weld Kwik, Bungi cords, candles, toilet paper, flat bar, trashbags, file, ...I'm doing this by memory and have to look at the rest of it.

The third is for the car and is a smaller version of the large kit.

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

considerations

The standard first aid kit, high magnification reading glasses. And because we are isolated, glucose tabs, nicotine patches, and instant coffee, two tin cups.  Because you never know how long it may be before help comes, and you never know where you might be when "it" happens, or who you might be helping, and all you need on top of all the other angst, is someone going wierd because they dont have what they are used to having.

A mouth to mouth kootie barrier, a forehead thermometer.

A tow chain, tire chains, straps, duct tape, gloves, ski cap, wool blanket, tinfoil blanket, small tools, a box of assorted vehicle fuzes, a canister of goo that will fill a tire, flashlight, portable solar battery charger, rope, assorted bungies, a tarp, hatchet, a real crow bar, a Leatherman, a knife, a small "tire thumper".  

Various ways to make fire. A small enamel coffee pot to boil water, water tablets.

I know, you're all smiling, it all fits in one of those plastic bins.

I like the quick clot and anitbiotics idea, I'll have to follow up on that.

muldoon

I take the approach that survival is not a kit.  It requires a good bit of proper mentality as well.  The key as I see it is to simply have your stuff together.  This can apply in all situations, those who are prepared and mentally up for the task will always fare better and react to changes better than those who do not have their stuff together.   Simply buying stuff is only half the challenge. 

Good ideas above, I would add just a few things
for medicines - hydrocortizone for bug bites.  saline eye droppers, epi pen and benadryl for allergic reactions,

papers - this is the must leave in 30 seconds thing.  I have a 5 gallon bucket with our passports, insurance docs, school records, immunization records, birth certificates, some cash, and some other stuff.  I also keep a 45 pistol in here and a very small first aid kit. 

Also didnt see duct tape or bailing wire above.

MountainDon

We should be calling Peter, Doc Nap   :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on September 11, 2008, 10:03:08 AM
We should be calling Peter, Doc Nap   :)

I stapled a cut once Don. I don't like having equipment I haven't used. Hurt like He!!.
A real item on the what to get next list is a defibrillator. That's almost a must have, for aging people living in remote locations.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Have you ever used cyanoacrylate (crazy glue)?  For closing a wound.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I've used superglue on a cut before... worked great.  Wish that I'd used it when DD got a cut on her face from her cousin throwing a brick.  I didn't take her to the ER because it was such a little cut, but it was deep.  It was also really close to her eye, so I didn't figure they'd stitch it.  Left a scar, unfortunately.  Think if I'd used the superglue, it might not have.

Re: the stiching or stapling yourself.  My dad got a deep cut on his left hand working with a sheet of metal, so he went into the house and sterilized a sewing needle and ran alcohol over a piece of thread.  He poured himself a shot of whiskey and was sitting there trying to psych himself up to start sewing when my step-mom walked in, drank his whiskey, and and cussed him for cutting himself.  Then she sat down and stitched him up.  They're perfect for each other!

Sassy

I have 1st aid kits in the car  & at the houses plus lots of supplies - guess I should get a few other things like the blood stopping powder & dressings.  Should get a stapler - that made me laugh, HG, about your dad & stepmother.  My younger brother staples his cuts...  I wonder if you'd used the superglue on your daughter it might not have gotten into her eye & damaged it?  Scars on kids seem to fade away pretty good over the years. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on September 11, 2008, 11:32:17 AM
Have you ever used cyanoacrylate (crazy glue)?  For closing a wound.

You must have forgotten my story about the time I chopped my forehead with a bowie I was making. I had to use superglue and duct tape to close ir. :)

John_C

It is my understanding that the only difference between the super glue you buy for a buck or so and the stuff the use in the operating room is that the OR stuff is guaranteed sterile.  Maybe Sassy can chime in on that?

The various types of ointment that used to reduce the pain of a toothache are handy topical anesthetics for other things as well.  Removing a large splinter, DIY stitches etc.

Ernest T. Bass

We've used super glue before.. Practically glued my sister's ear back on after she wiped out in the kitchen and sliced it from behind on a countertop. It worked well and left no scar. Suffice it to say, no more roller blading in the house anymore...  :-\

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

glenn kangiser

Quote from: John C on September 11, 2008, 04:02:06 PM
It is my understanding that the only difference between the super glue you buy for a buck or so and the stuff the use in the operating room is that the OR stuff is guaranteed sterile.  Maybe Sassy can chime in on that?

The various types of ointment that used to reduce the pain of a toothache are handy topical anesthetics for other things as well.  Removing a large splinter, DIY stitches etc.

Sassy went to work at the VA - she may pick up on that there.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

T. Lueck

Quote from: considerations on September 11, 2008, 02:10:38 AM
The standard first aid kit, high magnification reading glasses. And because we are isolated, glucose tabs, nicotine patches, and instant coffee, two tin cups.  Because you never know how long it may be before help comes, and you never know where you might be when "it" happens, or who you might be helping, and all you need on top of all the other angst, is someone going wierd because they dont have what they are used to having.

A tow chain, tire chains, straps, duct tape, gloves, ski cap, wool blanket, tinfoil blanket, small tools, a box of assorted vehicle fuzes, a canister of goo that will fill a tire, flashlight, portable solar battery charger, rope, assorted bungies, a tarp, hatchet, a real crow bar, a Leatherman, a knife, a small "tire thumper".   

Various ways to make fire. A small enamel coffee pot to boil water, water tablets.

Some ways to make fire with some things..
1. leaf and PowerGlass
2. wood and wood..
3. stone and wood..
4. Lighters..........

StinkerBell

A few things that you may all ready have around the house that is good to use.

New disposable diapers, these are great for wounds. Especially head wounds.

Whiskey....Never go wrong with this one. It also works in a pinch to dissenfect.

Bleach....Gold if you need clean water.

Duct Tape.....do I need to say more?

A good book, The Bible is a good one, lots of murder, betrayal, Sin, redemption, it has it all!

F.Aguilar

Quote from: considerations on September 11, 2008, 02:10:38 AM
The standard first aid kit, high magnification reading glasses. And because we are isolated, glucose tabs, nicotine patches, and instant coffee, two tin cups.  Because you never know how long it may be before help comes, and you never know where you might be when "it" happens, or who you might be helping, and all you need on top of all the other angst, is someone going wierd because they dont have what they are used to having.

A tow chain, tire chains, straps, duct tape, gloves, ski cap, wool blanket, tinfoil blanket, small tools, a box of assorted vehicle fuzes, a canister of goo that will fill a tire, led flashlights, portable solar battery charger, rope, assorted bungies, a tarp, hatchet, a real crow bar, a Leatherman, a knife, a small "tire thumper".   

Actually,In a real situation you will need a lot more stuff.