Plumbing Vent and freezing under floor joist

Started by EagleTimber, April 21, 2010, 08:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleTimber

Hi
Been reading this forum; Nice and very good info from members like john,don,glen,steve,red,and all the rest member

I'am a Newbite and planning to build a cabin 28x38 in  Apple Orchard, Central Iowa. I have drawn up the blueprints for my cabin..In my area, out in the country, zoning law's and Building Code's isnt require.
Planing living there full time(cabin)

My Plan calls for pier and beam structural and finish grade(beam PT(cca 2.5)  is sitting 3-4 inches above ground..

question is: Can one person bury the waste 4" pipe underground like 8"-12"..and will it freeze?...might have to use heat tape and insul. all plumbing above ground in the floor joist
question 2: plumbing vent is laid out and connected to waste stack and running thr the floor joist (second floor loft), Iam sure that isnt the right way of doing it,but the floor joist is setting on bearing wall

I have drawings showing complete plumbing and vent layout..

I would like have input on those thoughts
havent figg'er get the picture on the forum
link drawings

Eagle: I just highlighted the link you had to your drawings and put img brackets around it - one click of the picture frame on the edit bar. John Raabe

Complete photo and blueprints
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47705411@N07/sets/

Thanks
Eagle

ScottA

1. The sewer won't freeze underground unless it is clogged or holds water. Heat tapes are a bad idea. Find another way to run your water, maybe overhead or seal up the crawlspace and heat it.

2. You can run the vent like that. If it's level you aren't suposed to exceed 20'. If it's longer it needs to have a little downhill slope. You'll have fun drilling all those holes.  ;D

Oh, and welcome to the forum.  w*

John Raabe

Standing water (under pressure) in the supply lines is what you have to worry about in a cold freeze. The waste lines are self draining (under normal conditions - as Scott mentions).

There are many good suggestions on the forum for freeze protection strategies. Here is one thread:
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7914.msg101300#msg101300

This from a forum search on the terms "freeze plumbing"
None of us are as smart as all of us.

EagleTimber

Thank Steve on the plumbing vent..I ck the blueprint and came out 19'3" on the hor vent..

John: yes on the main water line comming from ground to the main floor( under pressure) line 1 1/2 " copper tubing...thinking making a box frame around and insul...like 12x12 ver.box and have the top box open on the main floor so heat can get down in the floor joist and into the ground?
also I will be  living thr the winter time full time.. so draining line isnt going to work

thanks for info on image