Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harry51

For the record, the loss of Firefighter Palmer occured on a fire up in the Redding area, not down here. We have suffered 12 minor injuries and no major ones or fatalities on this effort so far. Needless to say, our prayers are with those at risk on the fire lines.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

glenn kangiser

A note on the Validity of my  Constitutional No Trespassing sign for your future reference (courtesy www.landrights.com)

It apparently has some teeth.  When I slipped up on the two Sheriffs on my property today I was explaining why I had the attitude I do.  I asked them if they read my sign.  They immediately answered, No.

At the time I was a bit confused -- how could they not - you saw the picture.  If it was a snake it would have bit them.

By reading the sign they would have possibly made themselves subject to its terms and ignored it, so the only answer they could give was that they had not.  The reason I knew he had read it was in a minute or two he asked if I was Glenn.  I had only introduced myself as Mr. Refused earlier.  That didn't make sense either until I thought about it -- he just verified the validity of the laws posted and the day use fee.

Note that I had no problem with them and had exempted them from it as Emergency Personnel.  I  personally invited them to come up if there was anything they needed, even water. 

All I have a problem with is the attitude.  I guess in most situations it works well for them.  They didn't realize they were dealing with the King of the Mountain.  d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

angieb123

Quote from: glenn kangiser on July 30, 2008, 10:49:28 PM
Crimoney Jeanne.  I thought you were going to start a pool on what temperature I was going to roast to.  Careful where you poke that tender timer. heh

Friday could be a maybe but I heard depending on the fire behavior it could be 2 weeks or more.  Nobody is committing but it s supposed to be a priority.  There are still hotspots and crews going into Harry's even as of tonight.  I was just up to your place about an hour ago.

I surprised 2 Fresno county sheriffs in my cul-de-sac this afternoon.  They were nice enough but at first glance at least one of them thought about giving me attitude.  We talked a bit about some of the people that  were made to leave and my returning and the sheriff  mentioned that some of the people who wanted to stay had no business being there as they didn't have a clue what it was like - they just wanted to stay. 

I guess if you grow big enough huevos to overcome their intimidation then they figure you might be capable of staying.

I told them I was patrolling and taking care of our places and wouldn't be leaving until the roadblock was lifted to avoid bothering them.  I guess the fire guys report suspicious activity to them also.

As soon as I turned around I noticed the most unfriendly officer reach in his car and pull out his bullet proof vest and put it on.  I guess John is right.  They aren't used to mountain people who can take care of themselves.  I never did threaten them or anybody else, but I have been told I can look a bit intimidating if I try.  Probably just that 12 gauge in the gun rack making him nervous - up there it shouldn't be a threat.  I imagine it's a bit unnerving to think of being at the mercy of a crazy guy who really doesn't give a damn.   rofl

All in all most are great guys and doing a job that is necessary but unpleasant for the displaced people.  I agree - I wouldn't have wanted to be responsible for even one more persons life in the middle of that firestorm.

I took you up on your offer of picking the ripe tomatoes and I picked Rhonda's ripe squash when watering there.  I figured that way if another crew showed up needing a place to stay and observe fire for the night, at least I could make fresh tomato soup and squash -- stretch the supplies a bit. :)
Hey pop just wanted to make sure that you are not making tomato soup in the microwave.........Just take a hike and cook it over the fire  :)
You Non-Conformists Are All the Same! :)

glenn kangiser

That fire is so hot, it would burn all my cloths off - then everybody would lose their appetite. [crz]

Thanks for the comment though, Angie--my DD

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

angieb123

LOL is DD darling daughter or dumb daughter? Yes stay away from the fire if it will burn off the clothes, or else I might see a new documentary by cryptozoologists saying they had found the elusive bigfoot in the Mariposa mountains.
You Non-Conformists Are All the Same! :)

NM_Shooter

Glenn, I've been watching this carefully and am very sorry your area has been burning.  I am hoping that your prpperty, neighbors and views have been spared. 

Stay safe.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

0730 and all is well.

Take your pick, Angie - --Darling Daughter of course.  Who would know the cave dweller better than you. hmm

Thanks, Frank.  I and nearest neighbors are safe.  Hopefully Harry's shop is safe - It is kind of being used as a command center for this fire line area - very busy there.  I found out my miner friend didn't burn out -great, and he and wife are staying with Carla - ex-CHP with the biggest badge - Sheriff tried but couldn't run her off either. 

Good thing - these out of town firefighters are lost here in the bush.  I also direct a lot of them around.  She directed them to all the back roads - trails and shortcuts in French Camp as well as owning and being able to direct them to the best water sources down there.

I am not sure how the views will go but a lot of the back burns only seemed to have burned the grass from the distance - Many of the Oaks especially may survive or recover.  Much of this brush is thick and near water can be pure jungle.

The neighbor's dog, Dolly, seems to have disappeared.  Maybe scared off by the big fires -- it's not like her to not be around when there is dog food.  I called her to feed her but not around.

Off to my rounds.

Thanks for the well wishes everybody.

jeanneschmidt

Mariposa, CA- Incident Commanders for the Telegraph Fire have announced that as of
5:00 pm today (7/30/08), the following areas will open for residents to re-enter. The areas openings include:

Re-entry into the evacuated areas that are unaffected by the Telegraph Fire Northwest of Hwy 49 North.

Areas to include Mount Bullion Access Road from Highway 49 North to the CDC Camp.

Mykleoaks from Highway 49 North to and including Bear Trap Road.

Fournier Road and French Camp Road.

Re-Entry into the evacuated areas that are unaffected by the Telegraph Fire that are located West of Highway 140.

Areas to include Grosjean, Avoca Vale, Serpentine and Lake View.

East Whitlock closing at Colorado Road. Oak Road, Yosemite Oak, Crystal Aire including all spur roads.

Colorado Road to Rancheria Creek Road.

Rancheria Creek Road will remain closed at this time.
All of the above recommendations will be modified based on fire behavior and movement.
Residents will be required to show identification of residency in order to re-enter which can include a valid driver's license or utility bill. Residents are cautioned to drive slowly as fire vehicles are still working in the area.

:( I noticed that all the streets near us are open, except ours.

Hope you enjoyed the tomatoes. How are the bird house gourds looking?  Are there any pumpkins which have not shriveled up? 

I am trying to remember what we had in the refrigerator.... And I guess the tequila I left in the freezer will still be good when I get back!

harry51

West Whitlock is the main access to the Mosher Rd. area hardest hit by the fire, plus the entire east and south sides of Mt. Bullion. They're likely not going to allow public traffic until they're pretty well mopped up, which may take a while. There were 10 engines staged at 49N and West Whitlock this morning, and they all went in on Whitlock, exactly where to we don't know. I'm hoping they'll let property owners in sometime soon, as there are not that many between 49N and the Whitlock Gap near Mosher, etc. Those returning to the nearby roads reopened to residents only are required to have proof of residency or ownership to get past the roadblock. I'm going to the phone co. office later to get a copy of a bill for that purpose, if they'll oblige. If not, there's always the county tax collector's office or the recorder's office.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

jeanneschmidt

Harry I can fax you a PGE bill if you need it to get past the gatekeepers.  It was for a whopping $4.00 last month.

Jeanne

harry51

Thanks, Jeanne, if I can't come up with something, I'll let you know! You likely have the info line number 209.966.1133, where they're making the announcements about reentry, etc. As of this moment, no update since yesterday afternoon.

Thomas Jefferson

glenn kangiser

From link supplied by  Fire Captain Eric Ballard, Murrieta, California.

http://wildfire.cr.usgs.gov/calfireplan/viewer.htm

http://www.firescope.org/

Use this straight to info

http://www.fire.ca.gov/index_incidents_telegraph.php

Openings to return - current update-

http://www.fire.ca.gov/downloads/incidents/TelepgraphFire_release.pdf

Captian Eric and the crew check the Underground complex for fire safety... :)

Video to follow

glenn kangiser

glenn kangiser

Al just listened to the phone message on our road and Blue Oak Ridge is now open -- possibly need ID for proof of residence - Power Bill - DL etc. (I'm, not sure on that - It was mentioned elsewhere. gk)

209-966-1133 recorded message

W. Whitlock open to the Gap - Harry can go  home.

glenn kangiser

Also listen to the message if you were unfortunate enough to have been on grid and have spoiled food as power was out so long.  There are going to be dumpters for it.

With us being off grid on reliable solar and wind with a backup generator, we lost nothing.

Jeanne, your power came on today as I was watering.  I ate some of the small tomatoes and saved the bigger ones in case I can cook a meal for one of several crews who may camp out here if possible.  We'll have stewed tomatoes and squash from Rhonda's along with steak or burgers.

Rhonda, your power came on earlier.

jeanneschmidt

That's great news, Glenn!  Thanks again for being our eyes and ears!  You might want to throw some of the jalapenos, tarragon, or basil in with your tomatoes and squash!  I don't think I had too much in the frig - maybe some mayo and a jar of peppers.  Now that power is back on, our outdoor shower should work with hot water; let the fire guys know they are welcome to use it if they like and they of course can camp at our place if they like, although there is no accessible bathroom.  But then, Princess is gone I guess, so that is not as much of an issue!  The trampoline makes a great bed - very soft and comfy!

glenn kangiser

Thanks, Jeanne.  I know I have 2 or 3 crews and trucks that may want to show up here, but I bet they get moved to the hotspots as this fire is so big.  Amazingly they are getting a handle on it.  Working on over 40% currently unless things go wild which they can easily do.

About the above video--

Al Clawson - the guy who told me of the road openings, worked with me off and on since 1976.  He lives in Greeley Hill, above the fire.

Back around 1990 Al and I were in Temecula as they were building Murrieta.  

We worked all day putting roll bars or slopers on machines and one of Al's favorite things was to eat at local Barbecues.  

There was a great little barbecue in old town Temecula.  The sidewalk in front of it didn't have a curb -- just a gutter formed in the asphalt, then curving smoothly into the sidewalk.

We went in to the barbecue and ordered our meal while this obnoxious loud mouth drunk was in there doing what they do best.  Being obnoxious and loud.  d*

We finished our meal and just as we were walking out a siren went off.  Mr Obnoxious ran out into the street waiting for the fire truck and tried to flag it into the barbecue --- where there was no fire.

Al was driving my Cabover Peterbilt 10 wheeler crane truck and I had no idea what he was up to.

He had lost his tolerance for Mr Obnoxious.  He started jambing gears on the Pete, went down to a wide spot and made a "U"y ---(How do you spell that? U turn) .  By this time Mr Obnoxious was in the street traffic lane in front of the barbecue trying to wrongly  and illegally flag the fire truck to the Barbecue.  

Al crossed the center line of the street stomped the throttle of the Pete - black smoke boiling out the stack, and drove clear up onto the sidewalk chasing that drunk all the way back into the Barbecue.  

I was sitting in the right seat going - "What the hell?"  hmm

Al continued driving off of the sidewalk back across the street into our lane.  He never did stop.  He never did even slow down.  

I said, "Al, I think we better get out of town before he calls the cops."

Al said, "I'll teach that drunk what happens when you screw with the fire truck."

Al was funny like that.

Glad he's my buddy.  He calls nearly every day or two and I do likewise - just to make sure we're OK. :)

glenn kangiser

Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:00 AM
To: Web Contact YFD Yuma Fire Department
Subject: Wonderful Crew

Dear Yuma Fire Admin,

Thanks for sending your great strike team from Station 2 up here to help out. They are special to us and we hope all goes well for them without injury or loss. I had the honor of having them camped at my place watching for flareups and hotspots.

After a bit of misunderstanding with the Sheriff trying to evacuate me I returned - cleared several acres of my land giving them more defensible space and did all I could to help the firefighters. Your crew read my notice and came up to introduce themselves to me. I set them up with the best view of the fire area on my property and did what I could to orient them. Our area is rough.

I am forum admin on www.countryplans.com and we have a thread there I thought may interest you.

Thanks again - please keep us updated on the welfare of the team.

Please tell Princess Andrea, Paco, Steve and the rest they are in our thoughts, please be safe.

You can even sign in free on the forum and update there if you like. If not time for that e-mail to me would be appreciated.

Glenn Kangiser

Mr. Kangiser,

On behalf of Chief McArthur and all the men and women of the Yuma Fire Department we would like to thank you for the kind words for our crew currently helping out to contain the Telegraph fire.  It is very rewarding to hear these sorts of appreciation from the public we serve whether in our local area or elsewhere in this fine nation of ours. As is usually the case there will be many stories to be told upon their return and no doubt yours will be one of them.

It did take me a few minutes to navigate through the forum but it was comforting to view the photo of them up in your neck of the woods.

Again, thanks so much for offering these positive comments and hopefully there is a return to normalcy in the immediate future.

Sincerely, 

Dennis B. Light
Assistant Chief for Operations
City of Yuma Fire Department
One City Plaza, Box 13013
Yuma, AZ 85366-3013
(928) 373-4850 Office
(928) 373-4851 Fax

glenn kangiser

Some more of the great engines and people who have come to save our bacon...from being extra crispy.

The Murrieta Engine

The Riverside Team

The Riverside Engine

What an honor to have all of these great men and women visit and tour the Underground Complex while checking for threats from the fire less than a half mile away.

Notice to firefighters and other emergency personnel - if you   (or your admin happen to find this please relay to your team members)

209-742-5725 - cell 559-906-9049

Our place is fully functional - I and neighbors wanted you to know that we have

Water

Food -we'll cook you a meal if you need it

DSL Wireless internet and a computer w/printer to use if needed

Showers

A place to park and sleep -bunks - mats if needed

Pool if you get a break and are stuck here

and we will try to provide anything else you may need.

Sincerely,

Glenn and the West Whitlock, Mariposa Community

glenn kangiser

Wildland Fire info useful to all Countryplans members in rural areas.

Courtesy Murrieta Fire Website.

http://www.murrieta.org/datapages/datafull.asp?id=79

Common sense stuff from them - I did all of this including moved my acetylene and small propane bottles down the hill to a clear space where they would be safe or not kill someone if they exploded.

What to do DURING a wildland fire:

* Turn on a battery operated radio to get latest emergency information.
    * If you have a ladder, prop it against the house so you and firefighters have access to roof.
    * If hoses and adequate water are available set them up. Fill buckets with water.
    * Remove combustible material from the area surrounding the house (lawnchairs, tables, etc.).
    * Turn a light on in each room for visibility in case of smoke.
    * Close all doors and windows, but do not lock them.
    * Open or take down flammable drapes and curtains.
    * Close all venetian blinds and non-flammable window coverings.
    * Move upholstered furniture away from windows and sliding glass doors.
    * Be ready to evacuate all family members and pets when requested to do so.
    * Turn off air conditioning/air circulation systems.
    * Detach electrical garage doors.  Back in your car and leave the keys in the ignition.
    * Secure your pets if possible.

glenn kangiser

To: Glenn
Subject: How are you doing with the fire?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:28:10 -0400
Hi Glenn,

Is the fire near you?  Is the Bug Hostel in the path?  I told everybody you are underground but we are worried about the smoke.  And they cook potatoes in the ground too.  I hope they don't run some Caterpillar cutting fire trails over your roof.  Let us know if Smokey the Bear has been by again.

Cousin Mark

-----Original Message-----
To: Mark
Sent: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 7:45 pm
Subject: RE: How are you doing with the fire?

Hi Mark and Sue -

Yes - the fire is about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from me.  I refused to evacuate because there was way too much I could do to assist the firefighters and help myself to save my place if it got here.

The Sheriff ran me out but at 4AM I returned and loaded up my attitude adjusters - a Mossberg 12 gauge with 8 rounds  and a .380 auto. pistol.  I found that all contacts with authority figures with attitude problems became friendly encounters.  I never did threaten anybody.  It seems just the presence of something they understood was enough to make them reasonably nice.  I had 2 w/ attitudes --- one very brief when he saw I was packing, and the other was pissed looking all the time but held his attitude back.  He was on my property and I kind of slipped up on them on my ATV before they figured out what was going on.  I had no problem with them unless they had a power trip to show me.

I noticed that as I drove away he went and put his bulletproof vest on - even though I didn't threaten him -- probably was feeling a bit vulnerable.

All the details -- or some anyway - membership is free if you want to comment -- you could give me a character reference so they know I'm not really crazy.

Catch you later
Cousin Glenn

To: glenn-k
Subject: Re: How are you doing with the fire?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:32:37 -0400

Glenn

We had a guy shot up here just because he looked like you.  Maybe you need to get one of them there bullet proof vest, pants, shirt and hat.

Up here I am building houses for protection when the Lizard People come from outerspace.  Shirley McClaine the actress is part of that group.  12" thick concrete walls with concrete roofs and submarine doors for entry.  If you put Copper on your roof I guess they will leave you alone but I guess the reinforced concrete walls are just for extra assurance.  I guess that somebody that traveled light years to get here can not figure out how to get through a concrete wall.  Lizard people will look at it as Lobster " shell is hard but the meat inside is tasty".

Cousin Mark

Dang family.....I jus' can't get no respec'

glenn kangiser

Quote from: jeanneschmidt on July 31, 2008, 01:00:35 PM

Hope you enjoyed the tomatoes. How are the bird house gourds looking?  Are there any pumpkins which have not shriveled up? 

I am trying to remember what we had in the refrigerator.... And I guess the tequila I left in the freezer will still be good when I get back!

The gourds looked pretty good - some of the other vines had the tips burned a bit but for the most part its all pretty decent.

Sassy

Well, just got back to the Underground Cabin @ 2230 7/31...  Glenn didn't look too singed, the dogs were safe - couldn't see much of the landscaping Glenn did with the backhoe...  but good to be home.  Thanks for everyone's thoughts & prayers.

And a special thanks to all the fire crews!  You guys (and gals) are awesome!!!   [cool] 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Alasdair on July 30, 2008, 07:44:33 AM
Wow! :o What an adventure!
We have had some sleepless nights fighting hill fires with the auxilliary fire brigade here on Knoydart.
Good luck Glenn and Sassy.
Hope you're safe and sound.
Al

Thanks for the well wishes, Al.  Fire is another of the universal languages.

Restrictions off for us, they let Sassy back in tonight so things may go back to semi-normal here soon.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Sassy on August 01, 2008, 02:12:41 AM
Well, just got back to the Underground Cabin @ 2230 7/31...  Glenn didn't look too singed, the dogs were safe - couldn't see much of the landscaping Glenn did with the backhoe...  but good to be home.  Thanks for everyone's thoughts & prayers.

And a special thanks to all the fire crews!  You guys (and gals) are awesome!!!   [cool] 

Sassy probably wouldn't have minded if it gave me just a little beard trimming singe, but I'm trying to look like an old sourdough miner, so am letting it grow.  Boy - I hope I don't get it stuck in any rotating machinery.  Talk about defacing private property. hmm [crz]